Troubleshooting freezing of 19-year-old PC

Patrick Pelletier
Go to solution Solved by DoctorNick,

Enter BIOS, check temperature of CPU. If very hot, then it's likely because the thermal paste disintegrated after 19 years of use. Remove CPU heatsink, clean and re-paste :) Wouldn't post most likely if a component died. If ram died, you would most likely get BSOD. 

My parents have an AMD-based system from the year 2000 they still like to use, even though it is obviously obsolete.  (They use it offline, so it shouldn't be a big deal that Windows XP doesn't get security updates.)

They use it 1-2 hours a day, and it has worked fine for the past 19 years, up until a couple months ago.  Now, it runs for about 5-10 minutes when turned on, and then it freezes.  (No error message, no BSOD, just freezes.)

My first thought was that it might be a cooling issue, but the fan on the CPU seems to be spinning fine, and there is not an excessive buildup of dust.  (The PC doesn't seem to have any case fans, so I believe the only fans are on the CPU and in the PSU.)

Presumably the best way to troubleshoot would be to swap out various parts and see what fixes the problem, but I don't have a lot of PC parts lying around, especially of this vintage.

So, my question is this: statistically speaking, what is the component most likely to cause this sort of failure?  Should I try getting a replacement Athlon CPU off of eBay?  (In case it has died of electromigration.)  Or ditto for the RAM?  Or would it be more likely to be the power supply?  (The PSU obviously still works to some extent, but maybe the capacitors are getting old, and it's producing dirtier power that the CPU doesn't like?)

I realize this is not enough information to diagnose the problem, but I'm just trying to find out what is the most likely direction to look in.  Also, if it helps, this PC is from a system builder called "Pogo".  Thanks for any advice you can provide!

Enter BIOS, check temperature of CPU. If very hot, then it's likely because the thermal paste disintegrated after 19 years of use. Remove CPU heatsink, clean and re-paste :) Wouldn't post most likely if a component died. If ram died, you would most likely get BSOD. 

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

37 minutes ago, Patrick Pelletier said:

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

I'd start by looking at bad caps by the CPU or RAM. On a nearly 20 year old system, I'd suspect cap failure first.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

5 hours ago, DoctorNick said:

I wasn't able to determine the temperature of the CPU, using either the BIOS or the HWMonitor utility from cpuid.com.  However, this explanation sounds very reasonable to me, so I think I'll try replacing the thermal compound and see what happens.

I did not see any capacitors that looked bad in my visual inspection of the motherboard.  I don't have any particular reason to suspect the video card, so that will probably be further down my list of things to try.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

20191106_103123_HDR BIOS.jpg

20191106_103815_HDR HWMonitor.jpg

1 hour ago, Patrick Pelletier said:

I wasn't able to determine the temperature of the CPU, using either the BIOS or the HWMonitor utility from cpuid.com.  However, this explanation sounds very reasonable to me, so I think I'll try replacing the thermal compound and see what happens.

I did not see any capacitors that looked bad in my visual inspection of the motherboard.  I don't have any particular reason to suspect the video card, so that will probably be further down my list of things to try.

I had to retire my old athlon xp last year cause the video Cards kept dying and it was expensive to replace something that performs that poorly today. Newer computers even run adobe audition 1.5 better than back then.... good luck.

Why is it using 100% CPU? Would be my first question - is that normal? 

Otherwise,  statistically speaking,  it's like 99% the PSU that fails in pre-builts and the like,  so if I were you,  I'd try that. 

Also running for a short while then crashing is a typical syndrome. 

It could also be the motherboard though, thinking about it,  in which case it's probably not salvageable.  

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

10 hours ago, Animal901 said:

I had to retire my old athlon xp last year cause the video Cards kept dying and it was expensive to replace something that performs that poorly today. Newer computers even run adobe audition 1.5 better than back then.... good luck.

12 hours ago, Patrick Pelletier said:

You could try IBT test to see if it survives the burning https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/intelburntest.html

And that cpu fan RPM.. its over 7k! (and yes forum user I know its a small fan)

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

19 hours ago, Patrick Pelletier said:

The fan rpm is too high to keep that temp. 

I want to start with reapplying the thermal compound, since that seems like a likely issue, and it is inexpensive.

I was able to remove the CPU from the motherboard without much trouble, but I can't figure out how to remove the cooler from the CPU.  There are a couple of screws deep down in the gaps of the heatsink, but loosening those didn't seem to do anything.  There are some little clips that look like maybe they're supposed to be pressed, but they are positioned so they can't be pressed with fingers, and pressing them with a screwdriver didn't seem to do anything.

Any ideas?  Thanks!

20191111_135632 Athlon CPU.jpg

20191111_135638 Athlon CPU.jpg

20191111_135644_HDR Athlon CPU.jpg

I found a couple of links about this:

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/remove-athlon-heatsink.401664/

https://www.hornfans.com/threads/amd-k7600-heatsink-removal.3732/

So it sounds like the old thermal compound is gluing the heatsink to the processor.  The second article recommends either putting the processor in the freezer, or using a hairdryer to soften the thermal compound.  Which of those two ideas (heat or cold) is more likely to work, and which is less likely to damage the processor?

Thanks!

54 minutes ago, Patrick Pelletier said:

I found a couple of links about this:

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/remove-athlon-heatsink.401664/

https://www.hornfans.com/threads/amd-k7600-heatsink-removal.3732/

So it sounds like the old thermal compound is gluing the heatsink to the processor.  The second article recommends either putting the processor in the freezer, or using a hairdryer to soften the thermal compound.  Which of those two ideas (heat or cold) is more likely to work, and which is less likely to damage the processor?

Thanks!

Try twisting it back and forth slowly. Carefully. 

I was finally able to get the heatsink off!  The trick was to slip a screwdriver into the notch on the clip, and pull outward, rather than push inward like I was trying before.

Surprisingly, there didn't really seem to be any old thermal compound on it.  Does it just evaporate over time?  The attached photo shows what it looked like immediately after I took it off.  After taking the picture, I wiped with IPA, but there wasn't really anything to wipe off.

Now I need to apply new compound.  I bought some Arctic MX-4.  I've seen the LTT videos for applying thermal compound to modern processors; the consensus seems to be to apply a pea's worth of compound to the middle.  But this old CPU is so large and rectangular; should I apply three peas?  (One for each of the three regions of the heatsink.)

I'm a little worried about the holes in the CPU's heat spreader; I assume I want to avoid getting compound in the holes.  (Although MX-4 is non-conductive, so maybe it's not a huge problem?)  Also, there is a little depression in each of the side regions; should I get thermal compound in the depressions, or avoid it?

20191113_155544.jpg

image.png.a0ab2d7e1b612e7f1f9d8e1c55755d46.png

FS in Denmark/EU:

Oh, interesting find OP!

Well idk nearly enough about old CPUs but I think that's the issue likely. 

Also!   Don't use thermal paste!  Use a thermal pad! 

That way there won't be a mess and it should be good enough to cool the CPU again. 

And use a non conductive thermal pad of course - most of them are conductive I think so look out for that. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I already put the CPU back together using the Arctic MX-4 earlier today.  I put it back in the computer and it seems to work great!  No freezing so far.

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions!