CPU you use, and why?

<<<<<SNIP>>>>> "logic checks out. I'd be running a biggboye 6950X if they were reasonably priced, for now I have to make do with a mere 8c/16t j-bin 5960X ?."

Zando Bob, lol I love it  a mere 8c/16t that is funy shtuff!! I am making due with my mere 4c/8t Core i7-3400 .... but the caveat here is that my CPU and mobo were free from a throw away business system, a little ISO alcohol and some salvaged parts from my old system and I mean old it was built in 2009 .... Gigabyte GA-M68M- S2P mobo with an AMD Phenom II 555 BE with three of the four cores unlocked  I still have it and amd thinking about doing a custom retro build with it just for fun. This was the best "free" upgrade ever lol 

I'd like to add that if I were buying TODAY coming up from something really old or insufficient (like Pentium it something) I would totally get a 3700x.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

• 3 weeks later...

Run a Xeon E5-2696 v4, as I managed to find one on ebay for £1k and made a little back selling the 5820k.

Why? Because I've purchased Xeons for systems in the past.

Because its the max the asus x99-s can handle

Because why go quad core when you can go 44core

I'm high on the leaderboard for Seti (dont ask why, just been doing it since 1999 each to their own)

I'm ready to consolidate everything into one PC. I recently tested VMware esxi and GPU Passthrough successfully, so plan on making my PC and all in one box to include:

CCTV PC (8cores 16GB RAM)

NAS (FREENAS) (32GB for ZFS)

Gaming OS (with VR passthrough) 32GB RAM

Sandbox / VPN OS

Media (DVR / Plex)

PiHole 

At least I have plenty of cores. Also been running the X99-s system for about 5years now, getting my money worth, since it was very early on when DDR4 first came out!

taskmanager.JPG

Xeon X5675 -- was $65 upgrade on ebay so why not.

R5 3600 -- bought as a placeholder for 3950X, then realized I don't really need more, so now....cool?

Xeon E3-1505M v6 (Kaby Lake mobile) -- awesome work laptop

I7-4900mq(?) -- I forget exactly but it's my personal laptop that doesn't get used much

uhh

Centrino M -- laptop repurposed for vehicle diagnostic software