IPS or VA

Gapi
2 minutes ago, Gapi said:

So would you say the contrast is more important than ghosting?

No, if you want to play FPS shooters mostly i wouldn't bother with VA, same for cheap IPS. On top of motion blur, which is an innate thing in LCDs, you also get smearing. You'll get accustomed to it, as with most things, because eyes adapt, but if you ever watched high end monitor you will know what to look for and that there's a difference. You can immediately notice when a VA panel has 20-30ms G2G response, in comparison to TN with 4ms G2G reponse. You will see trails when scrolling gray text on gray background.

If you see smearing behind these black squares in this test, it means your monitor has poor G2G[rather B2G] response

https://www.testufo.com/eyetracking

29 minutes ago, RainingTacco said:

No, if you want to play FPS shooters mostly i wouldn't bother with VA, same for cheap IPS. On top of motion blur, which is an innate thing in LCDs, you also get smearing. You'll get accustomed to it, as with most things, because eyes adapt, but if you ever watched high end monitor you will know what to look for and that there's a difference. You can immediately notice when a VA panel has 20-30ms G2G response, in comparison to TN with 4ms G2G reponse. You will see trails when scrolling gray text on gray background.

If you see smearing behind these black squares in this test, it means your monitor has poor G2G[rather B2G] response

ive never had worse ghosting than on my old asus 144hz monitor

TN

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

30 minutes ago, RainingTacco said:

I think I saw a review saying the va c24g1 has around 8ms response so that should be fine?

1 minute ago, RelativeMono said:

ive never had worse ghosting than on my old asus 144hz monitor

TN

Must have been some cheap TN or really old. The first 144Hz monitors were just overclocked 60hz displays, and had nowhere near the reponse time to be called true 144hz.

1 minute ago, RainingTacco said:

Must have been some cheap TN or really old. The first 144Hz monitors were just overclocked 60hz displays, and had nowhere near the reponse time to be called true 144hz.

prolly tbh

34 minutes ago, RainingTacco said:

So which would be a bigger compromise for overall use? I don't want a lot of ghosting in games but also don't want to compromise in quality. Which one of these is more tolerable?

7 minutes ago, Gapi said:

I think I saw a review saying the va c24g1 has around 8ms response so that should be fine?

It's 8ms on average, so not really. You want all transitions to be close to 6,94 ms, with +/- 2ms tolerance, since you won't notice that small amount of ghosting. I reckon that C24G1 probably has some poor G2G reponse times, since its a cheap VA. Only the best VA can get to 10-12 ms G2G response times, poor ones are around 20-35ms. 

So which would be a bigger compromise for overall use? I don't want a lot of ghosting in games but also don't want to compromise in quality. Which one of these is more tolerable?

You can't know that for sure without review, or without testing the monitor yourself. Cheap IPS can sometimes have also horrible response time for G2G in 18-20ms range, but i would still choose cheap IPS over cheap VA for gaming, if you dont want TN. You will have a hard time to find a cheap TN in 2018/2019 that has G2G greater than 8ms. 

20 hours ago, Gapi said:

Yeah but it has +90$ shipping and import fees to EU. For some odd reason big retailers don't sell msi monitors here, only some smaller shop but it's overpriced at 250€.

Have you tried Amazon.de? It usually ships to EU without that $90+ shipping and import fees.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

37 minutes ago, RainingTacco said:

It's 8ms on average, so not really. You want all transitions to be close to 6,94 ms, with +/- 2ms tolerance, since you won't notice that small amount of ghosting. I reckon that C24G1 probably has some poor G2G reponse times, since its a cheap VA. Only the best VA can get to 10-12 ms G2G response times, poor ones are around 20-35ms. 

You can't know that for sure without review, or without testing the monitor yourself. Cheap IPS can sometimes have also horrible response time for G2G in 18-20ms range, but i would still choose cheap IPS over cheap VA for gaming, if you dont want TN. You will have a hard time to find a cheap TN in 2018/2019 that has G2G greater than 8ms. 

what you think about the Asus VG248QG then?

Just now, RainingTacco said:

Its a great gaming monitor, but image quality is mediocre. 

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/asus/vg248qe#page-top

lol viewing angle

i was asking personal opinion on specs, not some weirdos that say the viewing angle sucks when they dont understand why and for what reason. HAHA

Viewing angles always sucked, suck and will suck on TN monitor. I wouldnt want a TN monitor that is greater than 24 inch, because you will basically have discolouration/gamma issue on the sides because of these poor viewing angles. 

Just now, RainingTacco said:

Viewing angles always sucked, suck and will suck on TN monitor. I wouldnt want a TN monitor that is greater than 24 inch, because you will basically have discolouration/gamma issue on the sides because of these poor viewing angles. 

what kind of monitor do you actually like?

im waiting for the new ips 1080p 24" 144hz monitors coming out

took long enough for them

2 minutes ago, RainingTacco said:

also its 24" i thought

so you like it then? xD

I dont know what you do. If you are FPS player that only care about K/D, then go for the fastest monitor like this Asus. If you like to play other games beside FPS and like picture quality then go for IPS. Its really simple. I like FPS games, im not a pro player i dont care if my K/D will be 0,1 lower because i have worse monitor, i dont have RGB gaming mouse and keyboard and gaming chair xD 

16 minutes ago, RainingTacco said:

I dont know what you do. If you are FPS player that only care about K/D, then go for the fastest monitor like this Asus. If you like to play other games beside FPS and like picture quality then go for IPS. Its really simple. I like FPS games, im not a pro player i dont care if my K/D will be 0,1 lower because i have worse monitor, i dont have RGB gaming mouse and keyboard and gaming chair xD 

i only have an rbg mouse and keyboard because the gimmick! LOL

wooting one keyboard

and g502 (not a fan tbh)

but i go for silent cases! like the cooler master silencio accidently said corsair

and my rbg's are set to a low glow on white :D

qKpEyju.png

i wasnt asking for a reccomendation tho i was curious at your opinion is all. 

Ok so my opinion is, that Asus will be a good monitor. It has a decent color palette, poor contrast ratio, so overall it will suffice for gaming. It has excellent response time. Its 24 inch so not too big for TN causing problems like in 27 inch and more. If you want that monitor then buy it you wont be dissapointed. If you want IPS then wait for 1080p 144hz ips. Many people think that IPS are some GOD tier shit, because they had old TNs with sub 90% sRGB gamut so they changed it to modern IPS and voila everyhing is beter. But a good modern TN will almost match in color a mediocre IPS panel[and they are basically on the same price point]. Seriously you would be hard pressed to find differences. 

Here are two monitors, one TN and other IPS and both have similar color gamut:

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_nitro_xf252q.htm#calibration

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_tuf_gaming_vg27aq.htm#calibration

There's the Dell TN pretty good.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/s2719dgf#comparison_1491

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/asus/vg279q#comparison_1467

On 10/2/2019 at 5:40 PM, Gapi said:

How's the contrast on the 24G2U? Does it have major backlight bleed? The monitor is really new so there's barely any info on it online.

Welp, found out the name "24G2U" is only for EU. There's an identical 24G2 for the US and there's a couple reviews of it, unlike the U version (the same monitor). thanks aoc

1 hour ago, Gapi said:

Welp, found out the name "24G2U" is only for EU. There's an identical 24G2 for the US and there's a couple reviews of it, unlike the U version (the same monitor). thanks aoc

Can you post review links? 

In regards to "1ms" on MSI/AOC: It's only lowest MS when using "fastest mode". This however lowers the brightness incredibly much and disables freesync, so you're probably never gonna use it.

My opinion:
TN: trash colors and angles, not worth it if you also watch movies or play AAA-games.
IPS: No personal experience but the sound of IPS glow sounds horrible.
VA: Middle ground with actual decent colors and (supposedly?) little to no glow. Win win?

Theres been alot of new replies since my last post so idk if you decided on something else (I only skimmed the replies quickly).

Just now, Juusuhako said:

In regards to "1ms" on MSI/AOC: It's only lowest MS when using "fastest mode". This however lowers the brightness incredibly much and disables freesync, so you're probably never gonna use it.

My opinion:
TN: trash colors and angles, not worth it if you also watch movies or play AAA-games.
IPS: No personal experience but the sound of IPS glow sounds horrible.
VA: Middle ground with actual decent colors and (supposedly?) little to no glow. Win win?

Theres been alot of new replies since my last post so idk if you decided on something else (I only skimmed the replies quickly).

Still haven't decided on anything, it's extremely difficult.  Yes, VA does have better contrast & better blacks but it also has much worse ghosting that's bad for gaming.

2 hours ago, Gapi said:

Still haven't decided on anything, it's extremely difficult.  Yes, VA does have better contrast & better blacks but it also has much worse ghosting that's bad for gaming.

Maybe this will help.

I use a VA 4k and a 3840 X 1600 IPS monitor.

For gaming they are about the same. For watching movies the IPS monitor wins.

For that reason only I am going to retire my VA monitor hopefully around Black Friday.  

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

2 hours ago, Gapi said:

I unfortunately have no experience with VA either, only from what I read. Have you mentioned what games you play in the thread? I forgot. 

All in all it's personal preference (which cons you "prefer" to live with). Personally I am sick of glow/background bleeding from my TN so I am defo going VA. I've also played alot of horror games and I watch alot of movies with my lights off on my PC, so it's an obvious choice for me since I don't want to deal with IPS glow.