"Refurbished PC Scam" - Help needed.

Hey Guys,

Didn't really know where else to come with this one. My friend has recently purchased a "refurbished gaming PC" which has the following specs:

CPU - i7-4770 (non k)

GPU - Gigabyte GTX 1080 Watercooled Xtreme Gaming

DDR3 RAM (8GB I think)

The problem is that all of this hardware is running on what is showing in HWMonitor as a "Lenovo Shark bay" motherboard and from what i can find is only out of Lenovo Office PC's. I have explaining that the performance issues are due to this motherboard. When contacting the IT store he bought it from they stated that "I know nothing about computers and that the motherboard was fine"

I've advised my friend to pickup a cheap 2nd hand 1150 mobo for the i7-4770 and his performance. Am i losing my mind or would this motherboard just completely "lock" all of his CPU features and bottleneck performance ? 

Any help would be great.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | NZXT Kraken Z63 280mm AIO | Gigabyte Aorus M B450 Motherboard | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3000mhz  | Samsung 860 Pro 2TB | MSi Geforce RTX 2060 Super Gaming X 8GB | BeQuiet PurePower 11 700W |

Since the CPU is a 4770 (non-K), a locked motherboard (OEM) is alright. You only need a Z series unlocked board when you have a -K CPU for overclocking.

As for his issues, have you tried checking GPU / CPU usage logs to see if maybe there is a bottleneck somewhere?

Also, for the 8GB of RAM, is it two sticks of 4GB or a single stick of 8GB? Not having dual channel could be hurting performance a little.

Definitely Dual channel for the RAM... Not sure whether 8 or 16 GB though. I completely understand that there would be a bottleneck with that CPU + GPU combo and he’s not trying to OC, Just can’t even get through a complete session of X Flight with crashing or blue screening (IRQL error mostly he says) He’s checked all drivers etc twice over. Have advised that he tries a Gigabyte G1 Sniper H6. 

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | NZXT Kraken Z63 280mm AIO | Gigabyte Aorus M B450 Motherboard | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3000mhz  | Samsung 860 Pro 2TB | MSi Geforce RTX 2060 Super Gaming X 8GB | BeQuiet PurePower 11 700W |

I would try to run a disk check, then memtestx86 to just double check RAM isn't the the issue. A damaged sata data cable can cause this too. There's also the option of reinstalling windows.

23 minutes ago, Sephiroth720 said:

Am i losing my mind or would this motherboard just completely "lock" all of his CPU features and bottleneck performance ? 

what features do you expect? turbo boost?

the system shall be still usable, but oem mobo may have issues like not drawing enough power under load thus throttles down etc.if you are so worried, a cheapo H81 shall be good enough

Motherboard Is not going to hold that hardware back. In my case I had a dying CPU that was  throwing irql codes for every imaginable component. I f you could get crashlog codes that would help pinpoint the failing hardware.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

2 hours ago, asand1 said:

Motherboard Is not going to hold that hardware back. In my case I had a dying CPU that was  throwing irql codes for every imaginable component. I f you could get crashlog codes that would help pinpoint the failing hardware.

Thanks ? I'll let him know for when it happens again. Also... Your Corsair Vengeance LPX ram is listed in your signature as 32Ghz not 32GB (thought you'd like to know... Not being a smarta**)

Thanks for the help everyone!

2 hours ago, Sephiroth720 said:

Thanks ? I'll let him know for when it happens again. Also... Your Corsair Vengeance LPX ram is listed in your signature as 32Ghz not 32GB (thought you'd like to know... Not being a smarta**)

Thanks for the help everyone!

How dare you presume his GHz

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x