LOS Internet

Aqbowker

1st post, thought this forum could be best to help me.

I have LOS internet (Line of Sight), I live in a slightly rural area. Comcast doesn't support my area and hasn't attempted support at all. I was wondering if there were other options you would suggest please enlighten me. i get 500-900 kb/s download speeds on steam so i end up leaving my pc on overnight just to download a game. I use google WiFi mesh networking with my PC wired into one of the hot spots. I'm open to all options you assume could give me faster than 1 mb/s speeds. 

Help me LTT Forum, you're my only hope!

4 minutes ago, Aqbowker said:

1st post, thought this forum could be best to help me.

I have LOS internet (Line of Sight), I live in a slightly rural area. Comcast doesn't support my area and hasn't attempted support at all. I was wondering if there were other options you would suggest please enlighten me. i get 500-900 kb/s download speeds on steam so i end up leaving my pc on overnight just to download a game. I use google WiFi mesh networking with my PC wired into one of the hot spots. I'm open to all options you assume could give me faster than 1 mb/s speeds. 

Help me LTT Forum, you're my only hope!

Have you talked to your ISP to see if they can upgrade the equipment (probably needs to be done at both ends, and may affect other customers also), and/or if there might be an alignment issue, or anything else they recommend?

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

7 minutes ago, brwainer said:

Have you talked to your ISP to see if they can upgrade the equipment (probably needs to be done at both ends, and may affect other customers also), and/or if there might be an alignment issue, or anything else they recommend?

They have plan's to update their tower 7 years from now which is why I'm looking for a solution

If there is decent 4G LTE coverage in your area, you could go that route. 

Something like Ubifi+MoFi (with a nice Yagi antenna)-- depending on the area, I've seen speeds up to 50mbps or so.

7 hours ago, Aqbowker said:

Comcast doesn't support my area and hasn't attempted support at all

Dont ever expect them to. 

7 hours ago, Aqbowker said:

I was wondering if there were other options you would suggest

4G LTE would be your best bet any maybe in a few years 5G will grace you with its presence. You could also look in to a WISP (Wireless Internet Service Provider), as there might be one in the area. Besides that the last options are slow ass aDSL that some rural areas have access to, or Satellite that has latency out the ass, as well as daily and monthly usage caps in some cases. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

The other option, though still a few years out, will be one of the several low-altitude satellite services (SpaceX Starlink, OneWeb, TeleSat, Amazon’s Project Kuiper). The difference between these new services and regular satellite internet is regular satellites are geostationary, meaning they are so far out that they remain fixed above a single point on earth always, with the downside that the latency is ~500ms, the new satellites will be massive deployments (thousands) of satellites at much lower altitudes that move by very fast, which will give latencies less than 50ms.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: