Upgrade question

habloman1

Hello people,

I am debating between 2 options. I play games like WoW,apex and i'm going to play the new call of duty in october. So the pc is only for gaming, and i have a 1440p 144hz g sync monitor.

My current spec;

# Category Product Prijs Subtotaal
1 CPU Intel Core i7-6700K Boxed (NOT OVERCLOCKED) € 296,35 € 296,35
1 MOBO Asus Republic Of Gamers Z170 MAXIMUS VIII RANGER € 238,37 € 238,37
1 GPU Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (rev 1.0) € 414,90 € 414,90
1 Case Fractal Design Define S - Window € 79,- € 79,-
1 Monitor Dell S2716DG Zwart € 484,54 € 484,54
1 Cooling Scythe Katana 3 € 0,- € 0,-
1 RAM Kingston HyperX Fury HX426C15FBK2/16 € 0,- € 0,-
1 PSU Gigabyte G750H GOLD € 76,- € 76,-
Bekijk collectie
Importeer producten
Totaal € 1.589,16

New pc idea;

# Category Product Prijs Subtotaal
1 CPU Intel Core i7-9700K Boxed € 374,78 € 374,78
1 MOBO Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro € 184,- € 184,-
1 Cooling Noctua NH-D15 € 85,40 € 85,40
Bekijk collectie
Importeer producten
Totaal € 644,18

G.Skill Ripjaws V F4-3200C16D-16GVKB 3200mhz RAM - 107 euros

Option 1:

Keep current mobo/cpu/ram and buy a RTX 2080 super.

And then next year perhaps upgrade the other parts.

Option 2:

Buy the new cpu/mobo/ram and a GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING OC 3X 8G.

What option would give me the most fps for when the new CoD comes out at 1440p? Will my i7 6700k still be nice for another year? or does it bottleneck one of the new cards?

Or wait till next gen cards (no idea when they will come).

Thanks in advance! :) 

Sander

Wait for next gen - an upgrade is basically a waste of money with a setup like yours.

3 minutes ago, habloman1 said:

What option would give me the most fps for when the new CoD comes out at 1440p? Will my i7 6700k still be nice for another year? or does it bottleneck one of the new cards?

Or wait till next gen cards (no idea when they will come).

The 6700K can still manage a good gaming experience. I think upgrading the graphics card now and the CPU later is a great idea, especially since intel processors are so overpriced and their next generation is hopefully a lot more price competitive.  Presumably your CPU is overclocked?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

13 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

The 6700K can still manage a good gaming experience. I think upgrading the graphics card now and the CPU later is a great idea, especially since intel processors are so overpriced and their next generation is hopefully a lot more price competitive.  Presumably your CPU is overclocked?

No my cpu is still stock, never overclocked a cpu. Should i buy the noctua cooler and dive into overclocking? And would you go for the 2070s (580 euro) or 2080s (MSI GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GAMING X TRIO) that goes for 810 euros here?

18 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Wait for next gen - an upgrade is basically a waste of money with a setup like yours.

What do you mean exactly? Because the new CoD minimal req is a gtx 1070. And i have a 1440p monitor?

2 minutes ago, habloman1 said:

No my cpu is still stock, never overclocked a cpu. Should i buy the noctua cooler and dive into overclocking? And would you go for the 2070s (580 euro) or 2080s (MSI GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GAMING X TRIO) that goes for 810 euros here?

You spent all that extra money on a Z series board and a K SKU CPU, the money goes to waste if you don't overclock. Definitely get yourself a nice CPU cooler and go to town. The NH-D15 you mentioned will let this thing go pretty nuts if it can do it.

For 1440p 144Hz gaming, the 2080 super would be my choice, sure it's expensive but your performance target is pretty high.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

The i7 6700K can still hold up quite well in modern games and will not bottleneck any current GPU. Grabbing the 2080 SUPER now and upgrading rest of the components next year will be a better idea as the 2080 SUPER will still be crushing 1440p Gaming while your CPU start showing its age.

Also get something like a Noctua NH-D15 and overclock the CPU to your hearts content without worrying about the Thermals. Thats how you squeeze most out of your current setup.

Okay i will order the cooler + 2080s. And i will try to overclock the i7 6700k! Thanks for the help guys!

38 minutes ago, habloman1 said:

What do you mean exactly? Because the new CoD minimal req is a gtx 1070. And i have a 1440p monitor?

That requirement is bloated out of proportion - a 1060 will run it fine, I can guarantee. Else it won't sell at all if only 3% of users can play it

1 hour ago, habloman1 said:

Okay i will order the cooler + 2080s. And i will try to overclock the i7 6700k! Thanks for the help guys!

IMO just go with the 2070s cuz it's perf is about 10 or 12% less than a 2080s but cheaper