GTX1080 very hot

moxy3d

Hi, I have a R5 2600 @3.8ghz and my video card is a EVGA Nvidia GTX1080 FTW. The card seems to be overheating a great deal with certain games(GTAV, Doom) and I'm not overclocking. My RAM is 16gb 2400, and I have 1 fan in back, and 1 fan on top, with my Liquid cooler 240 on front. My temps in game get up to 75-88c! I've cleaned the fans on the GPU so what else should I do?

So hot, slower air as intake while using an open air card? Don’t see a problem really. Maybe test with all the fans on max and just a gpu benchmark and see how it goes. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

5 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

So hot, slower air as intake while using an open air card? Don’t see a problem really. Maybe test with all the fans on max and just a gpu benchmark and see how it goes. 

"So hot, slower air as intake while using an open air card?" I'm confused. What is an open air card? I do have a cooler on front though I can never tell the difference between intake and exhaust. Please clarify.

7 hours ago, Xkillerpn said:

Replace the paste on that thing , must be dry . use MX4 cheap and efective

I thought opening a gfx card voids warranty? 

8 minutes ago, moxy3d said:

"So hot, slower air as intake while using an open air card?" I'm confused. What is an open air card? I do have a cooler on front though I can never tell the difference between intake and exhaust. Please clarify.

Open air is where the GPU vents into the case, whereas a blower style card exhausts out the back.  I'm going to assume that your rear and top fans are exhaust (fan will have an arrow for airflow direction) which means your AIO is your case intake.  This means that all air being pulled into the GPU has already been heated from the CPU.  That will make temps higher on average regardless of anything else.

To confirm this trying running the same games with the side panel of the case removed.  This will allow cooler air to get to the GPU.  If temps improve in this configuration then you need to find a way to re-configure where your AIO is so you can get cooler air to the GPU.

It would be helpful for you to verify the direction all your fans are blowing and report back.  My above comments/suggestions make some assumptions...

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

1 hour ago, moxy3d said:

Evga tends not to care as much about that. How much of your warranty is left and di you register it?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

1 hour ago, moxy3d said:

If you're in the US, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits companies from being able to enforce "Warranty Void If Removed" stickers (which are the only way they can really tell if you've taken it apart). Also as Mick said, EVGA tends not to care about users disassembling GPUs.

What kind of case do you have? And are your radiator's fans set up to pull air into your case from the front or push air out?

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

10 hours ago, moxy3d said:

Hi, I have a R5 2600 @3.8ghz and my video card is a EVGA Nvidia GTX1080 FTW. The card seems to be overheating a great deal with certain games(GTAV, Doom) and I'm not overclocking. My RAM is 16gb 2400, and I have 1 fan in back, and 1 fan on top, with my Liquid cooler 240 on front. My temps in game get up to 75-88c! I've cleaned the fans on the GPU so what else should I do?

I change thermal paste on my cards every 2 years after owning then. I remember when I had a 970 FTW and changed the paste, the thermals changed completely. Same fan curves and all. That same card failed on me 1 month before the 3 years warranty expired, and EVGA sent me a new one after I sent my dead one without any problem. Go for it. Oh, and if you are wondering, I always use Arctic Silver 5 as a paste for both CPU and GPU.

2 hours ago, RAS_3885 said:

Open air is where the GPU vents into the case, whereas a blower style card exhausts out the back.  I'm going to assume that your rear and top fans are exhaust (fan will have an arrow for airflow direction) which means your AIO is your case intake.  This means that all air being pulled into the GPU has already been heated from the CPU.  That will make temps higher on average regardless of anything else.

To confirm this trying running the same games with the side panel of the case removed.  This will allow cooler air to get to the GPU.  If temps improve in this configuration then you need to find a way to re-configure where your AIO is so you can get cooler air to the GPU.

It would be helpful for you to verify the direction all your fans are blowing and report back.  My above comments/suggestions make some assumptions...

20190827_183541.jpg

20190827_183554.jpg

1 hour ago, TheSLSAMG said:

If you're in the US, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits companies from being able to enforce "Warranty Void If Removed" stickers (which are the only way they can really tell if you've taken it apart). Also as Mick said, EVGA tends not to care about users disassembling GPUs.

What kind of case do you have? And are your radiator's fans set up to pull air into your case from the front or push air out?

My case is a Phanteks and my radiator is facing inwards. Not sure what this means.

15669458882045811354675668497359.jpg

Prolly lack of fresh air to the card or not getting it out fast enough. 

Turn it all to max and see how it goes.

14 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Prolly lack of fresh air to the card or not getting it out fast enough. 

Turn it all to max and see how it goes.

I ran both 3dMark and Aida and it got pretty hot(90c) with full max fans and everything. I also wanted to point out the radiator is on the front. The single fan in the back is facing inward, as well as the top fan. Does this help?

15669473706451494363628807720052.jpg

If the side panel is off and the fans are on max on the card too, then its a tim issue.

1 hour ago, moxy3d said:

I ran both 3dMark and Aida and it got pretty hot(90c) with full max fans and everything. I also wanted to point out the radiator is on the front. The single fan in the back is facing inward, as well as the top fan. Does this help?

15669473706451494363628807720052.jpg

Yes, that helps, and my assumption was wrong.  Your rear two fans are both intakes and the radiator is exhausting the case.  Not optimal since most of the air will just flow along the top portion of the case and exit without really making its way down to the graphics card.

BUT, given you still have high temps w/o side panel and fans maxed then you will likely need to dig into the cooler itself.  Cleaning the heatsink and re-applying thermal compound is probably the next logical step.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

1 hour ago, Mick Naughty said:

If the side panel is off and the fans are on max on the card too, then its a tim issue.

+1. Run the benchmark with side panel off. Also, I've seen issues with EVGA coolers not having even mounting pressure causing paste to look like this:

spacer.png

Had this happen to me too and it caused the temperature to spike. I fixed it by applying more TIM where the mounting pressure was low. Make sure your TIM covers every part of the die even if it means putting a lot.

2 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Tim issue? Should I adjust fans? I'm not sure what I did wrong. 

48 minutes ago, mumbojumbogumbo said:

+1. Run the benchmark with side panel off. Also, I've seen issues with EVGA coolers not having even mounting pressure causing paste to look like this:

spacer.png

Had this happen to me too and it caused the temperature to spike. I fixed it by applying more TIM where the mounting pressure was low. Make sure your TIM covers every part of the die even if it means putting a lot.

I'm just so scared that I will over use paste and ruin my brand new card. I have no backup card.

17 minutes ago, moxy3d said:

I'm just so scared that I will over use paste and ruin my brand new card. I have no backup card.

extra thermal paste can't damage it if it's non conductive, and there's only one conductive thermal paste on the market.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

https://www.thermal-grizzly.com/en/products/16-kryonaut-en

Kryonaut isn't conductive but has the best heat transfer, EVGA doesn't care if you take the cooler off and replace the thermal paste, the policy they have is if you RMA you must put the original cooler back on.

This is useful if you are changing it over with a water block for example that you haven't voided your warranty.

If both fans are spinning at a decent speed on the card then it looks to be thermal paste or dust might have clogged up your fins on the headsink.

These cards suck air and blow it out the side facing you, dust could build up.

Either way you will need to take off that heatsink to clean it and you might as well do the paste while you have it off.

Be careful of the two fan connectors when you unscrew the card, they are easy to disconnect and reconnect though.

Don't take out all the screws and just rip the two apart rapidly you do need to disconnect those leads but there is some slack on them.

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

Update

Okay followed everyone's advice and disassembled the card. I cleaned off the fans and heatsink. It looked like the last application of thermal was bone dry, so I applied the paste. I unplugged the two fan connectors accidentally, but managed to put them back without much trouble. Put back together the card, back into the computer, turned it on.

Guess what? Now MSI Afterburner shows I am at 29c-33c idle. Running GPU intensive games (GTAV, Doom, etc) I get around 65c-70c. Seems less hotter than before, right? I'm going to try Furmark and see if its any different. If this works, I'm all good. Thanks to all of you.

1 hour ago, moxy3d said:

Update

Okay followed everyone's advice and disassembled the card. I cleaned off the fans and heatsink. It looked like the last application of thermal was bone dry, so I applied the paste. I unplugged the two fan connectors accidentally, but managed to put them back without much trouble. Put back together the card, back into the computer, turned it on.

Guess what? Now MSI Afterburner shows I am at 29c-33c idle. Running GPU intensive games (GTAV, Doom, etc) I get around 65c-70c. Seems less hotter than before, right? I'm going to try Furmark and see if its any different. If this works, I'm all good. Thanks to all of you.

DOnt run furmark on any card its a gpu killer. run superposition game mode for like 15min

Glad to hear it's fixed. This is like the fourth time I've seen thermal paste issues on EVGA cards (including mine). They need to start taking their QC more seriously.

Side note: Now that you fixed the thermal paste issue you could do this mod to lower your temps even more with less noise:

4 hours ago, mumbojumbogumbo said:

Glad to hear it's fixed. This is like the fourth time I've seen thermal paste issues on EVGA cards (including mine). They need to start taking their QC more seriously.

Side note: Now that you fixed the thermal paste issue you could do this mod to lower your temps even more with less noise:

Very informative and helpful, except I don't have all the resources Linus has at the moment, I'm afraid. Thanks anyway! 

The card does seem to be doing pretty good. Currently at 28c idle, and around 50c. That's good, right?