Building my first PC, any advices ?

Hello everyone and thanks a lot for taking the time to read this,

I am thinking about this build since a long time and I would like to know if you have any advices for me that could prevent some horrible mistakes...

So first, I am living in France so the currency is € (prices from amazon.fr), this computer will pretty much only be used for gaming (on W10), I do want to finish Portal 2 (my old computer kept crashing with this game (it was 8 years ago at least)), but also to try new games like Doom or Wolfenstein. For the budget, staying under 2000€ would be great, however I do need to buy a monitor, a mouse and a keyboard, so I'm pretty sure that it will go above. Speaking of monitor, I just need one, not 4K, maybe 2560x1440p.

Here are the spec I was thinking about:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (376€)

GPU: GeForce 2070 Super Gygabyte Windforce 8GB (586€)

Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge WiFi (226€)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX16GB (2x8Go) DDR4 3600MHz (105€)

Case: Corsaire Carbide 275R (69€)

Storage: Samsung SSD Interne 970 EVO NVMe M.2 1TB (189€)

PSU: Seasonic Prime Focus (80 + Platinum Modulaire 650W) (115€)

So this is what I got for now, as I said before I still need to choose a monitor, a mouse, a keyboard and an air cooler for the CPU, I was thinking about a Noctua, but I don't want to mess it up by taking something too big for the case. About the storage, I know that could add an HDD, but for know 1TB should be enough. And for the PSU, I know it is a bit overkill but I am a power electrical engineer so I want a great efficiency even if it does not really make sense.

One question is, is the case big enough for all this ? I really like this one and would be sad if it didn't work.

Something else, as you can see, I am not a big fan of RGB, I guess I am old.

So what do you think ? Do you have any advices for me ?

Anyways, thanks again, first time posting on the LTT forum, big fan of LMG for almost a year now, the quality of the content is just incredible if you compare it to the "French youtubers".

I guess I am a bit jalous, between, LMG, Smarter Every Day, Mark Rober... You have so many channels to choose from. 

Have a nice day !

37 minutes ago, GreatWhiteWine said:

Hello everyone and thanks a lot for taking the time to read this,

I am thinking about this build since a long time and I would like to know if you have any advices for me that could prevent some horrible mistakes...

So first, I am living in France so the currency is € (prices from amazon.fr), this computer will pretty much only be used for gaming (on W10), I do want to finish Portal 2 (my old computer kept crashing with this game (it was 8 years ago at least)), but also to try new games like Doom or Wolfenstein. For the budget, staying under 2000€ would be great, however I do need to buy a monitor, a mouse and a keyboard, so I'm pretty sure that it will go above. Speaking of monitor, I just need one, not 4K, maybe 2560x1440p.

Here are the spec I was thinking about:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (376€)

GPU: GeForce 2070 Super Gygabyte Windforce 8GB (586€)

Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge WiFi (226€)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX16GB (2x8Go) DDR4 3600MHz (105€)

Case: Corsaire Carbide 275R (69€)

Storage: Samsung SSD Interne 970 EVO NVMe M.2 1TB (189€)

PSU: Seasonic Prime Focus (80 + Platinum Modulaire 650W) (115€)

So this is what I got for now, as I said before I still need to choose a monitor, a mouse, a keyboard and an air cooler for the CPU, I was thinking about a Noctua, but I don't want to mess it up by taking something too big for the case. About the storage, I know that could add an HDD, but for know 1TB should be enough. And for the PSU, I know it is a bit overkill but I am a power electrical engineer so I want a great efficiency even if it does not really make sense.

One question is, is the case big enough for all this ? I really like this one and would be sad if it didn't work.

Something else, as you can see, I am not a big fan of RGB, I guess I am old.

So what do you think ? Do you have any advices for me ?

Anyways, thanks again, first time posting on the LTT forum, big fan of LMG for almost a year now, the quality of the content is just incredible if you compare it to the "French youtubers".

I guess I am a bit jalous, between, LMG, Smarter Every Day, Mark Rober... You have so many channels to choose from. 

Have a nice day !

How’s this instead? 

I got a ps5 and a pc pretty ballin

Hello star_pilot975 and thanks for your answer.

First thing jumping to my eyes is the RTX 2080 Super, at 868.90€, this is way above what my mind is allowing me to spend on a single component, is it really worth it compared to a 2070 Super ?

Now about the motherboard, the one that you proposed look like a very good deal except that I need WiFi, I forgot to mention it in my post, sorry.

The CPU cooler looks perfect, I just need to check that it will fit in the case, and I also need to look more into the monitor and the keyboard / mouse combo.

One question about the monitor, I see that you selected a 1920x1080, is there a reason (except for the price) ? I was thinking more about a 2560x1440.

Have a nice day,

I'll recommend something like this instead...

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  (€356.89 @ TopAchat) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler  (€75.99 @ Amazon France) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€219.99 @ Amazon France) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (€89.90 @ Amazon France) 
Storage: Gigabyte UD PRO 512 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (€64.94 @ Amazon France) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB PULSE Video Card  (€449.90 @ Amazon France) 
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  (€99.90 @ Amazon France) 
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  (€79.99 @ Corsair) 
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN881ND PCIe x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter  (€13.90 @ Amazon France) 
Monitor: Samsung LC27JG50QQNZA 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor  (€279.95 @ Amazon France) 
Keyboard: Redragon K552 Wired Gaming Keyboard  (€42.99 @ Amazon France) 
Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 110 Wired Optical Mouse  (€29.90 @ Amazon France) 
Total: €1804.24
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-19 11:37 CEST+0200

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

Hello Vexicus, thanks for your answer.

So you kept the CPU and changed everything else, I have to look into it, the monitor looks great and not that expensive.

About the GPU, I read somewhere that the RX 5700 XT was getting really hot therefor quite noisy, is it true ?

And about the memory, I thought that Antony recommended to use 3600MHz with the Ryzen 3700X, did I misunderstood something ?

I need more time to process all this information.

Thanks a lot, have a nice day !

Hello,

So I am looking into the " Is the CPU Cooler will fit in my case" question.

The Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 seems to be great, I can see that its height is 162.8mm, now looking into the technical data of the Carbide 275R case (sorry Vexicus but this case is non-negociable), I can see a "maximum CPU height" of 170mm, so I guess we are good ? Even if the margin seems to be very low, right ?  Or am I missing something ?

image.png.437bf5604aa6001b6f93ba062f54bcf2.png

image.png.c1cf1eb7a3f10dda10d7e77420051496.png

Yes it will fit.

Hello lee32uk,

Thanks for your answer, I prefer to be sure. So I think that I'll go with the Be Quiet!

Now on the motherboard, comparing the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite and the MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge WiFi, I don't see any reason to go with the Gigabyte proposed by Vexicus, do you ?

On the GPU now, the Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT Pulse looks perfect and much cheaper than the NVidia 2070 Super, I do have a question slightly related. Does the PCIe-4 introduced with the Zen 2 change anything with the graphic card ?

Have a nice day !

1 hour ago, GreatWhiteWine said:

Hello lee32uk,

Thanks for your answer, I prefer to be sure. So I think that I'll go with the Be Quiet!

Now on the motherboard, comparing the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite and the MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge WiFi, I don't see any reason to go with the Gigabyte proposed by Vexicus, do you ?

On the GPU now, the Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT Pulse looks perfect and much cheaper than the NVidia 2070 Super, I do have a question slightly related. Does the PCIe-4 introduced with the Zen 2 change anything with the graphic card ?

Have a nice day !

You could easily go with a B450 board such as the MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX and then buy a separate wifi adapter. Otherwise the one you chose is fine.

https://fr.pcpartpicker.com/product/jcYQzy/msi-b450-tomahawk-max-atx-am4-motherboard-b450-tomahawk-max

https://fr.pcpartpicker.com/product/KJfmP6/tp-link-archer-t6e-ac1300-none-wi-fi-adapter-archer-t6e

As for pcie 4.0 that doesn't really make much difference, unless for some reason you needed a pcie 4.0 SSD. A graphics card is still more than fine on pcie 3.0. 

1 hour ago, GreatWhiteWine said:

iHello lee32uk,

Have a nice day !

i meant B450 tomahawk or even asrock steel legend can still do the thing with BIOS update tho. is basically same anyway if its X570 vs X570. although there are some of the benefit using newer mobo for ryzen 3rd gen. and 5700XT is like a cheaper competitor to 2070 super. unless you don't want Ray-Tracing then i highly recommend go with the 5700XT.

PCle-4 Zen makes the same PCle4 lane GPU faster. but not that noticeable. so the 3.0 and 4.0 PCle kinda not much indifference and PCLe-3 is okay tbh. unless you really need that PCle-4 power

Spec: Macbook Air 2017    

ProcessorPU: ii5 (I5-5350U |    

| RAM: 8GB LPDDR3 |

| Storage: 128GB SSD 

| GPU: Intel HD 6000 |

| Audio: JBL 450BT Wireless Headset |

On 8/19/2019 at 7:56 PM, GreatWhiteWine said:

About the GPU, I read somewhere that the RX 5700 XT was getting really hot therefor quite noisy, is it true ?

And about the memory, I thought that Antony recommended to use 3600MHz with the Ryzen 3700X, did I misunderstood something ?

The reference blower style 5700xt ran hot. But the AIB varients run fine.

3200mhz cl16 is fine. 3600mhz ram with good timings is expensive.

3 hours ago, GreatWhiteWine said:

The Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 seems to be great, I can see that its height is 162.8mm, now looking into the technical data of the Carbide 275R case (sorry Vexicus but this case is non-negociable), I can see a "maximum CPU height" of 170mm, so I guess we are good ? Even if the margin seems to be very low, right ?  Or am I missing something ?

Yes dark rock pro 4 will fit just fine in that case .

Have a look at meshify c case that I mentioned above. It has way better airflow, and looks cool in my opinion.

2 hours ago, GreatWhiteWine said:

That gigabyte board has slightly better VRMs as compared to that msi board.

If you wanna go cheaper, then msi b450 tomahawk, tomahawk Max, gaming plus, pro-a are also an option. These b450 boards will need a bios update for the zen2 chips to work on them. But all these boards support BIOS flashback, meaning you can update the BIOS without any need of a CPU.

I hope I have answered all of your questions.

Next time quote me or mention me @VEXICUS for me to get your messages.

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Hello there,

Thanks @lee32uk, @Wolfycapt and @VEXICUS, (I didn't know we could tag people like that).

So you right, the Fractal case looks good and the airflow is an important data that I didn't considered, so I think I'll go with the Fractal Meshify - C TG but black.

About the motherboard, I think that I'll keep the MSI MPG X570 Gaming edge WiFi, perfectly knowing that it's not the cheapest option.

For the Graphic card, I'll go with the Sapphire RX 5700 XT Pulse, much cheaper, thanks again for this.

I still have a question about the memory, You're saying "3200mhz cl16 is fine. 3600mhz ram with good timings is expensive.", meaning that the Corsair Vengeance LPX16GB (2x8Go) DDR4 3600MHz that I selected do not have good timings (I don't really know what they are) ? And that the Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory have better timings ? Is it more important to have better timings or a higher frequency ?

Thanks again for all your answers !

Have a nice day.

11 minutes ago, GreatWhiteWine said:

I still have a question about the memory, You're saying "3200mhz cl16 is fine. 3600mhz ram with good timings is expensive.", meaning that the Corsair Vengeance LPX16GB (2x8Go) DDR4 3600MHz that I selected do not have good timings (I don't really know what they are) ? And that the Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory have better timings ? Is it more important to have better timings or a higher frequency ?

This should answer your question...

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Ha ha ha, I watched it already, I guess I missed the part about the timings...

I just remember (I think) that 3600MHz was the sweet spot if we didn't want to overclock or underclock anything.

• 1 month later...

Hello , @star_pilot475, @VEXICUS, @lee32uk, @Wolfycapt

After some vacations (well deserved in my opinion) I do have a Final list to share with you, so can I ask you one last time what do you think ?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  (€356.99 @ Alternate) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler  (€67.92 @ Amazon France) 
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€219.99 @ Amazon France) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (€100.89 @ Amazon France) 
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (€208.32 @ Amazon France) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB PULSE Video Card  (€441.95 @ Amazon France) 
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  (€103.58 @ Amazon France) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 650 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (€124.90 @ Amazon France) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  (€117.89 @ Alternate) 
Monitor: Samsung LC27JG50QQNZA 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor  (€259.00 @ Amazon France) 
Keyboard: Logitech G413 Carbon Wired Gaming Keyboard 
Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wired Optical Mouse 
Headphones: Sennheiser HD 598 CS  Headphones  (€164.16 @ Amazon France) 
Total: €2165.59
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-27 16:36 CEST+0200

Also there is a note, should I choose another PSU because of that?

Note:The MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 650 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it.

If you swap a few things around you can get a better screen which is Freesync but also supports Nvidia gpu's. The B450 Tomahawk MAX is a good board and there is a separate wifi adapter included. The Crucial ram is great value for money, as is the Sabrent Rocket SSD and Arctic Freezer cooler. 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  (€356.99 @ Alternate) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler  (€38.48 @ Amazon France) 
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€117.90 @ Amazon France) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (€69.90 @ Amazon France) 
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (€119.99 @ Amazon France) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB PULSE Video Card  (€441.95 @ Amazon France) 
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  (€103.58 @ Amazon France) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (€102.80 @ Amazon France) 
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link Archer T6E AC1300 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter  (€36.25 @ Amazon France) 
Monitor: Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor  (€511.91 @ LDLC) 
Headphones: Sennheiser HD 598 CS  Headphones  (€164.16 @ Amazon France) 
Total: €2181.80
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-27 17:23 CEST+0200

Hello @lee32uk and thanks for your answer.

I think I am going to keep everything as it was and just switch for the monitor that you propose.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  (€355.89 @ Cdiscount) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler  (€67.92 @ Amazon France) 
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€219.99 @ Amazon France) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (€100.89 @ Amazon France) 
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (€199.06 @ Amazon France) 
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  (€103.43 @ Amazon France) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 650 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (€124.90 @ Amazon France) 
Monitor: Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor  (€511.91 @ LDLC) 
Headphones: Sennheiser HD 598 CS  Headphones  (€164.06 @ Amazon France) 
Total: €2407.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-30 16:40 CEST+0200

Have a nice day !

Done !

Thanks a lot for your help, I will let you know when I receive everything and when the build is over.

Have a nice day !

• 2 weeks later...

HELP !!!

@VEXICUS, @star_pilot475, @Wolfycapt, @lee32uk

First of all, I received almost everything (the mouse seems to be lost somewhere, doesn't really matter), which is nice.

Right now I am assembling most of the component however it seems that a power cable is missing (or maybe I am misunderstanding something). On the Motherboard (MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi), there are three different power connectors:

• 1x 24-pin ATX main power connector
  • 1x 8-pin ATX 12V power connector
  • 1x 4-pin ATX 12V power connector

So my question is do I need to connect them all to the power supply ? Or is the 4-pin optionnal ?

Because no 8-pin ATX power cable where inside the power supply box, only a double 4-pin that I can use to connect to the 8-pin connector on the motherboard.

I would be quite disapointed to find out that I need to order a extra power cable...

Have a nice day !

46 minutes ago, GreatWhiteWine said:

HELP !!!

@VEXICUS, @star_pilot475, @Wolfycapt, @lee32uk

First of all, I received almost everything (the mouse seems to be lost somewhere, doesn't really matter), which is nice.

Right now I am assembling most of the component however it seems that a power cable is missing (or maybe I am misunderstanding something). On the Motherboard (MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi), there are three different power connectors:

• 1x 24-pin ATX main power connector
  • 1x 8-pin ATX 12V power connector
  • 1x 4-pin ATX 12V power connector

So my question is do I need to connect them all to the power supply ? Or is the 4-pin optionnal ?

Because no 8-pin ATX power cable where inside the power supply box, only a double 4-pin that I can use to connect to the 8-pin connector on the motherboard.

I would be quite disapointed to find out that I need to order a extra power cable...

Have a nice day !

Hello,

You don't need that 4-pin for your computer to work, however it will be better if you want to achieve better voltage control and delivery to OC the CPU.

49 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

Hello,

You don't need that 4-pin for your computer to work, however it will be better if you want to achieve better voltage control and delivery to OC the CPU.

Hi,

Thanks for your quick answer, I tried it without the 4-pin connector and it works perfectly.

Have a nice day!

1 minute ago, GreatWhiteWine said:

Hi,

Thanks for your quick answer, I tried it without the 4-pin connector and it works perfectly.

Have a nice day!

You're welcome :) 

2 hours ago, Plouffe said:

You're welcome :) 

I do have another question, so brand new computer, just installed W10, first thing I do is to download Steam and Portal, an old game that I really would like to finish this time.

I play a few minutes however I quickly notice that the quality is shitty, seems to lag, so I quit and look into my device manager, the graphic card is not here, I forgot to download the drivers for my Sapphire RX  5700XT, so I go on amd.com and download the last drivers. Reboot my computer and the graphic card is here and now when I try to lauch Portal, the screen goes black and the game crashes...

Do you have an idea on how to solve this problem ?

I tried to switch from hdmi to display port, no change.

I tried downloading the latest drivers for the motherboard, no change.

I tried to check the integrity of the game file, removed it and reinstalled it, no changes.