Building my first PC, any advices ?

8 minutes ago, GreatWhiteWine said:

I do have another question, so brand new computer, just installed W10, first thing I do is to download Steam and Portal, an old game that I really would like to finish this time.

I play a few minutes however I quickly notice that the quality is shitty, seems to lag, so I quit and look into my device manager, the graphic card is not here, I forgot to download the drivers for my Sapphire RX  5700XT, so I go on amd.com and download the last drivers. Reboot my computer and the graphic card is here and now when I try to lauch Portal, the screen goes black and the game crashes...

Do you have an idea on how to solve this problem ?

I tried to switch from hdmi to display port, no change.

I tried downloading the latest drivers for the motherboard, no change.

I tried to check the integrity of the game file, removed it and reinstalled it, no changes.

Go to https://www.amd.com/fr/support/kb/faq/dh-020 maybe you need to tweek some stuff otherwise try to reinstall the drivers. Do you have this problem on other games ?

1 minute ago, GreatWhiteWine said:

Yes I tried to lauch Portal 2, same problem.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/317400/discussions/0/523890046871235832/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/620/discussions/0/810924774417329603/

I found that, it might help you.

Try other games to see if it's GPU related or specific to Portal games.

If you launch a youtube video, does it display properly ?

3 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/317400/discussions/0/523890046871235832/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/620/discussions/0/810924774417329603/

I found that, it might help you.

Try other games to see if it's GPU related or specific to Portal games.

If you launch a youtube video, does it display properly ?

Just tried Youtube, only a green screen...

6 minutes ago, GreatWhiteWine said:

Just tried Youtube, only a green screen...

Does it happen on both HDMI and Display Port ?

Set everything to default in the AMD settings, look if it does anything if not then you should delete the driver and install it again.

I just noticed that you used amazon.fr and since i'm French it could be easier to talk in French :P 

1 minute ago, Plouffe said:

I just noticed that you used amazon.fr and since i'm French it could be easier to talk in French :P 

We could speak French but what if someone else want to help ?

So yes, I tried on the Displayport and the HDMI prot from the graphics card and I have the same problem, green screen on youtube and game crashing.

Something else is weird, when I try the HDMI from the motherboard I do not have any signal...

Maybe I should try update the BIOS ? Do I need a bootable USB key for that ?

Just now, GreatWhiteWine said:

We could speak French but what if someone else want to help ?

So yes, I tried on the Displayport and the HDMI prot from the graphics card and I have the same problem, green screen on youtube and game crashing.

Something else is weird, when I try the HDMI from the motherboard I do not have any signal...

Maybe I should try update the BIOS ? Do I need a bootable USB key for that ?

Nah that's normal, it's because the 3700x doesn't have integrated graphics so no worries about that.

The bios update should not have any incident on that but you can still do it.

We can go from the basic :

Did you plug it properly ? (PCIe x16 and not one of the above)

Is it properply powered ? (meaning is the cable populating the 8 and 6 pin of the GPU but also is it populating the good slot from the PSU)

When you go to "AMD settings", "updates" (lower left) and "find new updates" if there is a new update do it.

Did you test your monitor on another PC/console/dvd/bluray player ?

That's everything I can think of at the moment.

10 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

Nah that's normal, it's because the 3700x doesn't have integrated graphics so no worries about that.

Is it properply powered ? (meaning is the cable populating the 8 and 6 pin of the GPU but also is it populating the good slot from the PSU)

When you go to "AMD settings", "updates" (lower left) and "find new updates" if there is a new update do it.

No integrated graphics, you are right I forgot about that.

I am pretty sure that the graphics card is correctly plugged and powered (I wouldn't have any image otherwise right?).

No updates inside AMD settings.

And no I didn't try the monitor on anything else than this computer, but I don't think that the problem is coming from the monitor do you ?

This is anoying...

7 minutes ago, GreatWhiteWine said:

No integrated graphics, you are right I forgot about that.

I am pretty sure that the graphics card is correctly plugged and powered (I wouldn't have any image otherwise right?).

No updates inside AMD settings.

And no I didn't try the monitor on anything else than this computer, but I don't think that the problem is coming from the monitor do you ?

This is anoying...

Use the display port output (remove the HDMI one COMPLETELY).

Go to your desk, right click, paramètres d'affichage, paramètres d'affichage avancés, propriétés de la carte vidéo pour l'affichage 1, écran, fréquence de rafraichissement du moniteur => 144hz.

Put the resolution at 2560x1440 if it's not done too.

In the screen settings you should have a joystick or something similar (OSD) to tweek. Use the freesync mode and 144hz.

26 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

Ok, so I am pretty sure that I have just done something quite stupid.

I wanted to reinstall the graphics card driver, so I removed it and now I just have a black screen... Even after a reboot.

Ok that is weird because even without driver you should have an input and the same problem you had the 1st time you launched Portal (slow).

6 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

Ok that is weird because even without driver you should have an input and the same problem you had the 1st time you launched Portal (slow).

Ha ha ha, I rebooted once more to move the computer to another desk and the screen is back and portal is launching (slow mode).

So I guess that I have to install the correct graphic card driver this time? Do you have a link for that?

I checked Sapphire website and didn"t find anything, should I download the driver directly from AMD website ?

3 minutes ago, GreatWhiteWine said:

Ha ha ha, I rebooted once more to move the computer to another desk and the screen is back and portal is launching (slow mode).

So I guess that I have to install the correct graphic card driver this time? Do you have a link for that?

I checked Sapphire website and didn"t find anything, should I download the driver directly from AMD website ?

https://www.amd.com/fr/support/graphics/amd-radeon-5700-series/amd-radeon-rx-5700-series/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt

There are 2 versions 19.10.1 and 19.9.2, I run the 1st one without problem. Let the installer do it for you just say yes to all :P 

14 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

https://www.amd.com/fr/support/graphics/amd-radeon-5700-series/amd-radeon-rx-5700-series/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt

There are 2 versions 19.10.1 and 19.9.2, I run the 1st one without problem. Let the installer do it for you just say yes to all :P 

So I installed the 19.10.1 again (this is the version I installed before) and we are back to the starting point, Portal is not starting and youtube is showing a green screen...

17 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

Try the 19.9.2 then, it's clearly a driver problem since it's "better" without any drivers.

YES !!! 19.9.2 is working!

Thanks a lot for your help!

5 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

You're welcome, glad it's resolved though it took some times :P 

Tout ça pour jouer à un jeu qui date de 2007...