Deciding between i7 2600 or 3770 for GFs Upgrade

Hey guys, 

So my girl-face does some gaming and 3d rendering in her spare time. She is a graphic designer by trade, so you can imagine my horror as I realized the computer she does her rendering on runs an i3-3240, Asus b75M-A motherboard, 16gb of 1333 Corsair Vengeance ddr3, GTX 660 Windforce, 5400rpm 1tb HDD, Corsair GS Series 800 W 80+ Bronze PSU. The 16gb ram and PSU aren't too bad, but obviously there was some inconsistency in the build that needed to be addressed. I suggested we do a whole platform upgrade, but due to some other things going on in life right now, she can't put the money towards it. 

Well I have been ordering her some new stuff little by little and this is basically what the build looks like now:

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-3770 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Processor $120.00
CPU Cooler Corsair H80i 77 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler Purchased For $0.00
Motherboard Asus B75M-A Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard Purchased For $0.00
Memory Corsair Vengeance LP 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory Purchased For $0.00
Storage ADATA Ultimate SU800 512 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For $0.00
Video Card Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8 GB NITRO+ Video Card Purchased For $0.00
Case Fractal Design Meshify C Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case $128.20 @ Vuugo
Power Supply Corsair GS Series 800 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply Purchased For $0.00
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $248.20
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-16 14:33 EDT-0400  

The CPU price is an average of the used price I have seen, and a placeholder. The cooler is one i already have just sitting around, and the case is what I hope to put her next build in when it comes to that. 

My question is: For gaming and 3D rendering, would I be okay going with an i7 2600 or 3770?

The 2600 is cheaper and easier to find, but I don't mind stretching for the 3770 if its going to make enough difference. 

Thanks in advance.

the performance delta is 10% - if the 3770 is 10% more expensive, it's worth it. If it's 25% more expensive - it's bad value.

IMO, if you are going to upgrade a relatively old build, get the best you can so that your next upgrade will be a new system (Instead of going through another round of minimal upgrades). Get 3770

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Ivy Bridge should be simply a Sandy Bridge die shrink so performance should be very similar, i'd get what's cheaper

3 minutes ago, Epimetheus said:

Ivy Bridge should be simply a Sandy Bridge die shrink so performance should be very similar, i'd get what's cheaper

It wasn't a pure die shrink, there were some minor architectural tweaks improving IPC slightly.

Thanks for the replies guys. I will take what you have all said into consideration. :)

I7-2600 shouldn't cost more than $70 USD. Are you buying new or used? Please don't buy obsolete parts new, terrible value.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

Just now, asand1 said:

I7-2600 shouldn't cost more than $70 USD. Are you buying new or used? Please don't buy obsolete parts new, terrible value.

Yeah sorry, I should have mentioned it's in Canadian dollars, and it will definitely be a used part. 

2 hours ago, Adreyu said:

My question is: For gaming and 3D rendering, would I be okay going with an i7 2600 or 3770?

The 2600 is cheaper and easier to find, but I don't mind stretching for the 3770 if its going to make enough difference. 

Thanks in advance.

Get an E3 1240 v2. 20 PCIe lanes and its the same as the 3770 minus 100mhz, as well as running a little cooler because no iGPU. It's also a fair bit cheaper on ebay.

Sorry about my spelling sometimes. My $1200 laptop has a $2 keyboard.

1 minute ago, BleachedFur said:

Get an E3 1240 v2. 20 PCIe lanes and its the same as the 3770 minus 100mhz, as well as running a little cooler because no iGPU. It's also a fair bit cheaper on ebay.

I'll take a look, thanks  :)

16 minutes ago, BleachedFur said:

It's no different in terms of PCIe lanes.

2 hours ago, Sakkura said:

It's no different in terms of PCIe lanes.

3770 only has 16 PCIe lanes, 1240 v2 has 20. This is the same for the i7 2600 and the E3 1240. So, you're wrong. But good try.

Sorry about my spelling sometimes. My $1200 laptop has a $2 keyboard.

6 hours ago, BleachedFur said:

3770 only has 16 PCIe lanes, 1240 v2 has 20. This is the same for the i7 2600 and the E3 1240. So, you're wrong. But good try.

Can't use those lanes on a B75 board, so there's no difference.

6 hours ago, BleachedFur said:

And how will those lanes translate to anything positive? They're pointless.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440