SLI Setup with Benchmarks

NBKJOKER732

This is my build log for the current setup I am running and the different variations I have had over the past 9 months. The biggest changes over that time were the inclusion of a 144Hz monitor (now with G-Sync) and my frequent GPU changes.

I started out with GTX 680. I got that about two weeks before the 770 was announced. Thankfully Amazon let me exchange it for a 770 Lightning, which was a bit more powerful and slightly cheaper than what I paid for the 680. Shortly after that I got my Asus VG248QE 144Hz monitor. The moment I saw games at 144Hz, I knew I would want everything to run close to that with Ultra settings. In comes my second 770 Lightning. I had this setup for a couple months and then Nvidia did a huge price drop. I had just sold a gaming laptop for $700 so using that money I bought a GTX 780 and then sold my 770's for $325 each. I used this money for my second 780 which brings me to my current and finalized (for now) set up.

Some people think that having two 780's for a 1080p display is overkill. I'm here to say that it isn't for MY needs/desires. I want to run every game on Ultra with my FPS being 120 or higher. I want that visual wow factor with ultra smooth gameplay. And with this set up, I have accomplished just that. I play BF4 maxed out between 130 and 200 FPS. Averaging around the 150 mark. Its really hard to explain the difference to a 60Hz gamer that is stubborn about 60Hz being enough. And it is enough, but the more and more you play at these high refresh rates, the more that 60Hz starts to look like a slideshow.

I have included a graph below of benchmark that I ran with all my different GPU configurations. HERE is a link to my benchmarking spreadsheet, which is always being updated.

I have several videos of this build, including: unboxings, reviews, and commentaries on my Youtube channel.

CaseBox.JPG

IMG_0548.JPG

IMG_0673.JPG

IMG_0706.JPG

IMG_1068.JPG

IMG_0930.JPG

Building+PC.JPG

IMG_1079.JPG

IMG_1163.JPG

Case+Lights.JPG

Desk.JPG

SLI+Before+After.jpg

SLI+Rewired.JPG

SLI+Lights.png

LightningOMFG.JPG

780+Boxes.JPG

4screens.png

b56e720a8b.png

Hey, what's up slunts?

Your CPU cooler's fans are mounted on wrong side.

No it isn't. I put it that way say that it pulls in air on the right and blows it out the rear exhaust. All my air flows from the front and bottom to top and rear of my case. My CPU idles at around 33. Under load barely above 60.

Hey, what's up slunts?

No it isn't. I put it that way say that it pulls in air on the right and blows it out the rear exhaust. All my air flows from the front and bottom to top and rear of my case. My CPU idles at around 33. Under load barely above 60.

the right fan blows into the direction of the 5.25 bay. Just sayin'

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

the right fan blows into the direction of the 5.25 bay. Just sayin'

No it doesn't. I know how my fans are configured. The right fan blows air across the radiator and the left fan blows out the back of the case. There are stickers on both sides of the CPU fans, so I can see why you all might be confused. I can assure you that it is set up properly.

Hey, what's up slunts?

No it doesn't. I know how my fans are configured. The right fan blows air across the radiator and the left fan blows out the back of the case. There are stickers on both sides of the CPU fans, so I can see why you all might be confused. I can assure you that it is set up properly.

either your picture isn't up to date, or your wrong.

The fan has to look like this:

The_Thermaltake_Frio_Advance_CPU_Cooler_

And not like this:

IMG_1073.JPG

Anyway though, nice build! :D

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

I don't want the fans in a stock configuration like in the image you linked. It is a matter of preference how you set them up. A lot of people use this set up to maximize airflow. And it works out really well. You should try it if your on air ;) 

Nice Mosin nagant

Thanks, pal.

Hey, what's up slunts?

Nice looking Nagant, looks to be in pretty good shape. Does it shoot straight?

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Nice looking Nagant, looks to be in pretty good shape. Does it shoot straight?

Yeah it shoots great. Here is a video of me out shooting it.

Hey, what's up slunts?

What you're describing is the original layout of the fans in the first picture posted. Intake of the fan is always on the side opposite of the motor supports. 

• CPU : i7-4770k, Mobo: ASUS Maximus VI Gene, RAM: 16gb G-Skill Sniper 1866, GPU: ASUS GTX780 DirectCUII, Case: Corsair 350D, Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & Seagate 1TB HDD, PSU: Seasonic 860w Platinum, Monitor: ASUS VN-247P, CPU Cooler: Custom Watercooling Loop, Mouse: Steel Series Sensai Raw, Sounds: Vmoda Crossfade LP

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/112285-slightly-smaller-just-as-baller/

Prime colors is sexy bro. I didn't choose parts for looks. I went with functionality and a good price/performance ratio. I only considered looks on the case, but only after certain parameters were met in regards to airflow and cable management options.

Hey, what's up slunts?

were those 770's performing so well?? they are very close to the 780's

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

• 3 months later...

were those 770's performing so well?? they are very close to the 780's

Actually when the 780's got a big price drop down to around $500. Newegg had the MSI 780 Gaming Edition's on sale for $490. I sold my two 770 Lightning's. One on Ebay for above market value, actually, lol. And the other for $225 + shipping to a member of my gaming community. A very good deal for him. I used the proceeds from those sales and the sale of my "gaming" laptop to get two of the MSI 780's and I've been rocking those in SLI ever since. Here are some benchmarks I ran throughout all the different GPU configurations. ;)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiHleJ977pSqdGRpWXVoelRRQjJzcmplMEF5WVZKcGc&usp=sharing#gid=0

Hey, what's up slunts?

haha from that picture, either you have both fans sucking air from the heat sink, or you have the fans blowing towards the front of the case.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR42KpfPWTIBMmTpdgaz2rUwqCkWdTjZDR-y37hlYIY4UDJ0e-r

meaning you dont know how your fans are configured, unfortunately.

Seriously, the next person to tell me my fans are pointing the wrong way is getting a knock on their door. And I ain't selling girl scout cookies. I have the damned fans that way for a reason. I know which way the air blows and my computer is better and runs cooler than probably 90% of the people on this forum. So get off my dick about the fans for fuck sake.

Hey, what's up slunts?

I know which way the air blows and my computer is better and runs cooler than probably 90% of the people on this forum.

Throwing numbers around like that doesn't make it true. With over 100000 users, 90% of them are worse off than you?, thats some impressive insight

So get off my dick about the fans for fuck sake.

Defensive much, I get its annoying saying your opinions over and over, but this isn't needed.

You should have said "I know their positioned differently, not that its fine and working" because people will still correct you "just in case" you didn't know.

Obvious mistake is Obvious, should have clarified.

Do love the graph up top, nice improvements and generational changes.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Throwing numbers around like that doesn't make it true. With over 100000 users, 90% of them are worse off than you?, thats some impressive insight

Defensive much, I get its annoying saying your opinions over and over, but this isn't needed.

You should have said "I know their positioned differently, not that its fine and working" because people will still correct you "just in case" you didn't know.

Obvious mistake is Obvious, should have clarified.

Do love the graph up top, nice improvements and generational changes.

Okay, the 90% comment was wrong. I was heated in the moment because the fan comment is the only thing I ever see on  this thread. I apologize for getting heated and making the inappropriate comment.

And to clarify for the last time, I know how the stock photos for the heat sink look, but that isn't the only option. The one fan that people are seeing blows air across the radiator rather than pulling it out. The idea being that all airflow is in one continuous motion. With the front case fan pulling air in and then the cpu fan blowing across the radiator and the second cpu fan blowing that air out the back of the case.

Thank you for your comments though. I am glad someone appreciated the graph. Have a nice day.

P.S. I solved the problem once and for all. I removed the one photo that was causing everyone to make those comments.

Hey, what's up slunts?

Okay, the 90% comment was wrong. I was heated in the moment because the fan comment is the only thing I ever see on this thread. I apologize for getting heated and making the inappropriate comment.

And to clarify for the last time, I know how the stock photos for the heat sink look, but that isn't the only option. The one fan that people are seeing blows air across the radiator rather than pulling it out. The idea being that all airflow is in one continuous motion. With the front case fan pulling air in and then the cpu fan blowing across the radiator and the second cpu fan blowing that air out the back of the case.

Thank you for your comments though. I am glad someone appreciated the graph. Have a nice day.

P.S. I solved the problem once and for all. I removed the one photo that was causing everyone to make those comments.

Why can't you just stop being stuck up and accept that your fans are in the wrong way.

1. Both your fans are pushing air towards the 5.25" bays, which is against the direction of airflow in the case.

2. Or both fans are pushing air outwards from the radiator, which is stupid.

There's no dispute that the fan on the right is pushing air towards the front of the case though.

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White

Look;

I know the back of the fan is showing, but if you look at the blades on the fan, they are curved backwards.

The cpu cooler comes with a normal fan and a backwards fan;

CLP0596_88ed9936e63a45bab7f27d6620c53925

So regardless of the fans being back to front, they ARE blowing the right way. Only thing it changes is the looks.

So everybody can stop being stubborn.