Psyonix (Epic Games) to Remove Randomized Crates From Rocket League

Source: Rocket League | Epic Games Fortnite

Psyonix, creators of Rocket League, and now owned by Epic Games, will be removing all paid, randomized crates from the game later this year.

Psyonix and Epic Games - which I will now be referring to as Epic collectively - say they are removing randomized crates from Rocket League to create the best possible experience for their playerbase and to give full transparency on what players should expect out of a loot crate.

Here at Psyonix, and Epic Games as a whole, we are dedicated to creating the best possible experience for our players all over the world. In pursuit of that goal, later this year we will remove all paid, randomized Crates from Rocket League, replacing them with a system that shows the exact items you’re buying in advance. This is similar to changes implemented earlier this year by the Fortnite Save the World team.

Epic referred to a Fortnite article published earlier this year over on Epic Games' website explaining what would be happening with llama crates. I don't know too much about Fortnite but from what I can gather, what Epic were after in Fortnite's case was to show the player exactly what they were unboxing if they chose to unbox a loot crate, rather than unbox and have a chance of unboxing a certain item of a certain rarity.

A big change is coming soon for Save the World V-Buck Llamas... Here’s the scoop. We believe it’s important that the Llamas you buy have what you want, and that you can earn awesome items just for logging in and playing

Introducing "X-Ray" Llamas! Previously known as V-Buck Llamas, X-Ray Llamas will now show you the contents before you purchase it. Not interested in what the Llama offers? Simply wait until the daily store refresh and there will be a new selection.

Starting in update v7.30, any Llama available in the V-bucks store will show it's contents without requiring a purchase.

I love this implementation as it means players won't need to gamble for items and can see exactly what they're going to get, sort of like purchasing a booster pack instead of playing a game at the slot machine for a chance to win something big.

A majority of us like to berate Epic for their business practise but as a Rocket League player and esports watcher of the game, I like this. If Epic lives up to what they're saying and will implement the X-ray style of unboxing crates, we Rocket League players are in for a treat.

One does wonder if they will completely remove randomized crates like they're claiming, but only time will tell as they have said the update will be 'later this year', and have mentioned at the end of the article that they will have updates in the coming months.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

Cool.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Any mention anywhere what happens with the crates in our inventories? Are they just deleted, or will they be replaced by something else? If they are deleted i can imagine ppl buy a shitton of keys and opening all the crates before they are deleted.... which means a shitton of money for them...

I have no signature

4 hours ago, Eaglerino said:

makes me laugh every time I remember the rocket league guys went to EA first and EA told them no. probably the best thing to ever happen to rocket league

Absolutely, God forbid what EA would've done to the game. I like the direction the game is going under the wing of Epic, at least for the moment.

2 hours ago, Helly said:

Any mention anywhere what happens with the crates in our inventories? Are they just deleted, or will they be replaced by something else? If they are deleted i can imagine ppl buy a shitton of keys and opening all the crates before they are deleted.... which means a shitton of money for them...

There was no mention of crates inside players' current inventories anywhere yet, I assume they might just be replaced with the new X-ray style crates rather than being flat-out deleted or kept the same as it would cause the market to crash, see Team Fortress 2's recent unusual depression.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

Wow. Colour me surprised. Sounds great (in the right direction).

8 hours ago, Eaglerino said:

makes me laugh every time I remember the rocket league guys went to EA first and EA told them no. probably the best thing to ever happen to rocket league

Oomph.. ouch... gah. Guess they really only cared about the cash. :/

thank fuck. i cant get anything worth a shit in my crates

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT A REPLY!

PC #1

Ryzen 7 3700x@4.4ghz (All core) | MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb (OC 3600mhz)

MSI GTX 1080 8gb | SoundBlaster ZXR | Corsair HX850

Samsung 960 256gb | Samsung 860 1gb | Samsung 850 500gb

HGST 4tb, HGST 2tb | Seagate 2tb | Seagate 2tb

Custom CPU/GPU water loop

PC #2

Ryzen 7 1700@3.8ghz (All core) | Aorus AX370 Gaming K5 | Vengeance LED 3200mhz 2x8gb

Sapphire R9 290x 4gb | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair RM650

Samsung 850 128gb | Intel 240gb | Seagate 2tb

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

Core i7 6700HQ | Samsung 2400mhz 2x8gb DDR4

GTX 1060M 3gb | FiiO E10k DAC

Samsung 950 256gb | Sandisk Ultra 2tb SSD

Subscription based content anyone? Could be possible if they wanted to keep the revenue stream from loot boxes.

Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia Quadro P400 | Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro AX | Klevv Bolt XR 2x8GB DDR4-3600 CL18

Acer Chromebook C720 @ GalliumOS