Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Coltonwmcc

Running 2 graphics cards

Posted · Original PosterOP

So in my current pc I have an nvidea 1070 founders edition. I have another pc with a gigabyte 1060 extreme edition. I am not looking to run in sli, but more to add more monitors to my setup. I have 3 monitors currently and looking to make it 5. Just wanted to use what I had already in my hardware bin is all. Is this possible? 

Thanks everyone for any input.

Yes, you can do that. If your cpu has an integrated gpu you could also use the ports on your motherboard.

...is there a question here? 🤔

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

Yes, this should work.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 37    Score: 267,650,069   Stats

My main rig:

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on 

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3000MHz (Yay, thank you ASUS for finally updating your BIOS)

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME, Samsung 860 evo 1TB

HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black Windowed

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, urBackup, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 24GB Hyperx Fury Black @ 2900MHz 16-16-16-28

GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo 250GB

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 8GB ram, GTX 1060, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's virtdisk is on the SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, urBackup, Gitlab, Nextcloud, and game servers.

Inventory: CPU: Delidded :D i7 6700k @ 4.7GHz 1.46v 🔥 Motherboard: ASUS Z170-A

Posted · Original PosterOP

Excellent. Thank you very much for the help. My pc is a ryzen 2700x and might upgrade to the 3rd gen.

You might need to use integrated graphics to run the 5th monitor since nvidia has a limit on 4 outputs, unless you have a quadro or NVS card.

My sound system costs more than my PC.        Check out my S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Intel i7 4790k | ASUS GTX770 | ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB | NZXT S340 | Seasonic Platinum 760 | modded H100i | Ducky ONE White TKL RGB | Logitech MX Master 2S | 2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | WD Red 4TB Samsung 58" 4k TV | 2x Behringer NEKKST K8 | BIC Acoustech H-100II | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020