I think my cpu is broken

Go to solution Solved by JoshPJ,

I think ive found the problem, my bios reset so it went back to a much older version, just re-updated it and it works at boosted speeds again, phew, if the problem arises again i'll take a look at the pins again, thanks for you help guys

I just installed a new cpu cooler earlier today, when removing my old cooler the thermal paste had fused the cpu and the cooler together and ended up pulling the cpu out of its socket when it was locked in, i have a ryzen 1600x, the cpu worked fine when i first turned my pc on but the overclock reset back to 3.6Ghz (from 3.9) however now everytime i try to overclock even by a very small amount (0.1ghz) the pc conpletely crashes and the cmos needs to be reset, is this due to the cpu being pulled out of its socket, my new cooler is a kraken x62 rev 2, thanks

CPU: Ryzen 3700X Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Pro Wifi CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x62 Rev 2 RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000Mhz GPU: Asus TUF OC RTX 3080 SSD: 250GB SK Hynix SATA and 2x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Cooler Master NR200 Monitor: LG 27GL850 Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum Mouse: Razer Viper Audio: Sennheiser PC37X and Logitech G560 Speakers

hard to say did you already try re pasting the new cooler?  

Just now, Moxnix22 said:

hard to say did you already try re pasting the new cooler?  

the temperatures are all fine, it works normally on its base clock but cant handle a fractional increase, very strange

CPU: Ryzen 3700X Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Pro Wifi CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x62 Rev 2 RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000Mhz GPU: Asus TUF OC RTX 3080 SSD: 250GB SK Hynix SATA and 2x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Cooler Master NR200 Monitor: LG 27GL850 Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum Mouse: Razer Viper Audio: Sennheiser PC37X and Logitech G560 Speakers

Theoretically it's possible if there is now a bad connection between any of the pins and the motherboard. Back when I use to use PGA CPUs I always made a habit of twisting the cooler, loosening the thermal compound prior to lifting it off. Even then if I was using a compound that was particularly liquid like (like a toothpaste consistency) I would never pull it strait off I'd always lift at an angle so as to not have all the pressure pulling it out of the socket.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

Theoretically it's possible if there is now a bad connection between any of the pins and the motherboard. Back when I use to use PGA CPUs I always made a habit of twisting the cooler, loosening the thermal compound prior to lifting it off. Even then if I was using a compound that was particularly liquid like (like a toothpaste consistency) I would never pull it strait off I'd always lift at an angle so as to not have all the pressure pulling it out of the socket.

yeah, I even knew about the issue and told myself to unlock the cpu and seperate the two outside the pc if it was too stuck but it took such little force for it to come out it caught me off guard, im guessing its the cpu, cant think of anything else

Were any pins bent or broken when you pulled the CPU?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

6 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Were any pins bent or broken when you pulled the CPU?

Couldn't see any but didn't the inspection wasn't very thorough 

1 minute ago, JoshPJ said:

Couldn't see any but didn't the inspection wasn't very thorough 

Pop it out and take a look. A PGA CPU can be made to slide into the socket with bent pins, but that doesn't mean it'll work once it's in there. If there are any broken/missing pins, yeah, RIP.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

22 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Hahah I apply the same technique ever since I ripped my trusty PGA478 celeron out of its socket. And right after that I did something even worse; I couldn't get the poor thing off the heatsink so I tried installing the heatsink + cpu in one go, completely forgetting about the small arm on the socket which was still in the closed position. So I was basically pushing a PGA cpu onto a closed socket using a heatsink. (I should also mention that this was with that old metal heatsink mounting clicking mechanism that needed an awful lot of force to mount, not a default intel stock cooler.) After I realised my mistake, I did manage to peel the CPU off the heatsink, installed in properly, and it still worked just fine! It was then that I learned that one should always use the twisting technique.

24 minutes ago, JoshPJ said:

yeah, I even knew about the issue and told myself to unlock the cpu and seperate the two outside the pc if it was too stuck but it took such little force for it to come out it caught me off guard, im guessing its the cpu, cant think of anything else

Have you inspected the socket? If it came out just like that it wouldn't be surprising if there's something wrong with the socket. In that case you were probably just lucky when you installed the CPU the first time, and it happened to make good contact on all the pins. What you could try to do in order to solve the problem then, is just reinstall it a couple more times until you get lucky once again.

I think ive found the problem, my bios reset so it went back to a much older version, just re-updated it and it works at boosted speeds again, phew, if the problem arises again i'll take a look at the pins again, thanks for you help guys

5 hours ago, akio123008 said:

Hahah I apply the same technique ever since I ripped my trusty PGA478 celeron out of its socket. And right after that I did something even worse; I couldn't get the poor thing off the heatsink so I tried installing the heatsink + cpu in one go, completely forgetting about the small arm on the socket which was still in the closed position. So I was basically pushing a PGA cpu onto a closed socket using a heatsink. (I should also mention that this was with that old metal heatsink mounting clicking mechanism that needed an awful lot of force to mount, not a default intel stock cooler.) After I realised my mistake, I did manage to peel the CPU off the heatsink, installed in properly, and it still worked just fine! It was then that I learned that one should always use the twisting technique.

LMAO!!!!! The good OLE days....