My brother is designing a tcg

My brother and I are designing a card game, me on skills and effects him on art and design. 

Does anyone know a good design / art software he can use for drawing or painting? 

Free software would be nice. 

Life is a journey in darkness, and in darkness we seek a light to light our path thru life,

In light we seek the darkness in our lives to shade the misdeeds we do unto those we meet. 

Jerry Lettins (Art teacher.) 

Microsoft Paint not good enough?

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

Kinda depends on what you are comfortable. Gimp, Paint.net, Krita for starters. Inkscape if you have need for working with vectors.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

CorelDraw 2019 home/student is cheap.

I know, you want free software, but consider that - if your brother learn commercial, good software, it may give him lot of benefits. He will learn something that people use in workplaces and maybe this hobby becomes regular job some day.

8 hours ago, homeap5 said:

CorelDraw 2019 home/student is cheap.

I know, you want free software, but consider that - if your brother learn commercial, good software, it may give him lot of benefits. He will learn something that people use in workplaces and maybe this hobby becomes regular job some day.

If they plan to work in office. If they work as freelancer, they can decide which software to use. Plus there isn't so big difference between different software's that it would be issue to adjust.

Krista from Level1 is professional graphics designer and uses Krita. She also uses iPad Pro so....

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

45 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

If they plan to work in office. If they work as freelancer, they can decide which software to use. Plus there isn't so big difference between different software's that it would be issue to adjust.

Krista from Level1 is professional graphics designer and uses Krita. She also uses iPad Pro so....

Maybe not very big difference, but you can use complex tools in Corel / Illustrator and only basic tools using Inkscape. And if we're taking about price - Corel is much cheaper.

Of course if we're talking about bitmap editing, lot of free programs offer very good painting tools. But not if we're taking about vector graphics.