Partitioning SSD & drive lifespan

hyuugasaki

So I got a new laptop with 1tb ssd. and was partitioned into 2 drives. one is 100gb for windows and the other is 900gb.
And SSD lifespan depends on terrabytes written.

so if I keep using the 900gb drives, and keep writing it until it's dead. will the other 100gb still works fine if it's rarely used? Means my windows will be saved.

or would it be better to keep ssd to unpartitioned as it will spread the damage more evenly to the whole drive rather than concentrated in one partition?

2 minutes ago, hyuugasaki said:

so if I keep using the 900gb drives, and keep writing it until it's dead.

the writing dead part is the controller. not the memory cell itself

Wear leveling happens on a hardware level, and only cares whether a block is empty, not what partition it used to belong to.

When you partition an SSD (unlike an HDD), you aren't physically partitioning a disk. Data is not stored sequentially on SSDs and blocks are dynamically assigned and unassigned as needed.

First of all, it will not 'die' any time in your lifespan.

Second, partitioning a drive doesn't change what nand it uses to write to, you can't control that, the storage controller algorithms do.

Third, there is literally no need to partition windows searately, it already makes system partitions it needs and the rest of the windows files can just go on the main storage partition. When you install windows you should delete all the partitions and let windows make them by itself.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

11 minutes ago, hyuugasaki said:

so if I keep using the 900gb drives, and keep writing it until it's dead. will the other 100gb still works fine if it's rarely used? Means my windows will be saved.

or would it be better to keep ssd to unpartitioned as it will spread the damage more evenly to the whole drive rather than concentrated in one partition?

The SSD controller will write data on all of the NAND cells, regardless of how you arranged it on a logical level. They made it so you only have to care about how much data you've written to it.