Replacement WiFi cards for laptop (Specifically the ASUS Zephyrus G GA502)

Linus mentioned in the review that the WiFi card in this laptop is pretty garbage so I was wondering what a suitable and compatible replacement would be. I don’t know anything about WiFi cards.

I apologize if there is a specific category this should be in but I didn’t think this would go in networking.

Intel 9560 should be good for you

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K 8C/16T @ 5.2GHz All Cores -- CPU Cooler: EK AIO 360 D-RGB 

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F Gaming -- RAM: G-Skill Trident Z 32GB (16x2) DDR4-3000 

SSD#1: Samsung PM981 256GB -- HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB -- GPU: ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 3080 10GB OC MSI GTX 1070 Duke

PSU: FSP Hydro G Pro 850W -- Case: Corsair 275R Airflow Black

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 1440p 165Hz -- Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Cherry MX Brown -- Mouse: Logitech G304 K/DA Limited Edition

Phone: iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB

Headphones: Sony WH-1000XM4 / Apple AirPods 2

Laptop: MacBook Air 2020 M1 8-core CPU / 7-core GPU | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD

TV: LG B9 OLED TV | Sony HT-X9000F Soundbar

its like replacing ram with 2 extra cables attached.

usually the wifi card is in m-sata size, at bottom of laptop. unscrew to see if you have access to it. beware not to rip off warranty labels

12 minutes ago, IIOblivionII said:

Should probably test it yourself and make sure the laptop is easy enough to open up.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2019 at 11:40 PM, SeraphicWings said:

WAIT, that card is not compatible according to this guy:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/blyaun/anyone_have_the_new_zephyrus_g_ga502_yet/epsdgs3?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

I'm going with the Intel 9260

I tried the 9260 in the laptop, I'm getting code 10 in device manager and the card's not working. Resetting BIOS to defaults have worked with others for the card but doesn't seem like it's working for me here

I just put the 9260 in my laptop and it doesn't work. It doesn't show up in device manager and I tried installing the drivers but it just didn't work.

Also for reference the wifi card in the laptop is the Realtek rtl8821ce.

On 6/17/2019 at 11:35 PM, IIOblivionII said:

Linus mentioned in the review that the WiFi card in this laptop is pretty garbage so I was wondering what a suitable and compatible replacement would be. I don’t know anything about WiFi cards.

I apologize if there is a specific category this should be in but I didn’t think this would go in networking.

My advice is to see if ASUS has a list of cards that will work. This is what I did with my sisters HP. Had a list of about 20 cards and found the best one. Went from shitty wireless N to a Wireless AC card. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

get anything with wifi 6 and bt5.0

or anything with atleast bt 5.0. 

I cant seem to get an answer from ASUS, just contacted them and said "they only can disclose info if your laptop is in for repair" pretty silly if you ask me. 

On 7/4/2019 at 12:19 AM, abito703 said:

I tried the 9260 in the laptop, I'm getting code 10 in device manager and the card's not working. Resetting BIOS to defaults have worked with others for the card but doesn't seem like it's working for me here

On 7/4/2019 at 6:10 AM, Albykool said:

I just put the 9260 in my laptop and it doesn't work. It doesn't show up in device manager and I tried installing the drivers but it just didn't work.

Also for reference the wifi card in the laptop is the Realtek rtl8821ce.

This Redditor got it working. Did you guys try installing the device driver before replacing the WiFi module? 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2019 at 1:27 AM, Squilliam said:

I've been fiddling with the AX200, and it doesn't work so far.

Well that sucks. Because before I buy this im getting a replacement wifi card

That's really odd as ASUS do not limit which cards you can use.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

6 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

That's really odd as ASUS do not limit which cards you can use.

Yeah ik, why wouldnt they allow AX200???

2 hours ago, Flameingdeath said:

Yeah ik, why wouldnt they allow AX200???

Because they want you to buy a computer with a better WiFi card. Many laptop manufacturers are like this. They allow x cards and that’s it. Maybe because these are cards they test? They can verify that the cards on their whitelist work. It stops users needing help, if you know what cards work. Probably reduces tech support calls. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just upgraded to an Intel 9260 fine on my Zephyrus G no problems windows also installed the drivers the second it booted. My only problem was that one of the shorter screws fell into one of the lager screws hole and i couldn't get it back out with a magnetic screw driver but it doesn't go down when trying to screw it in so i guess that's a good thing, just hope that i can still open the laptop up for a future upgrade with an additional NVMe SSD.

On 7/4/2019 at 4:15 AM, Donut417 said:

My advice is to see if ASUS has a list of cards that will work. This is what I did with my sisters HP. Had a list of about 20 cards and found the best one. Went from shitty wireless N to a Wireless AC card. 

ASUS do not provide this, had the problem myself.  However they DO NOT blacklist cards either, so any physically compatible should work.

Strange thing is I couldn't get an AX201 to work in mine despite it having a CNVi card in it originally, yet an AX200 DID work, which isn't supposed to work in a CNVi slot. :/

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

On 6/18/2019 at 6:40 AM, SeraphicWings said:

Why would you put a CNVi card in a computer with a CPU that does not support CNVI?

On 7/3/2019 at 7:19 PM, abito703 said:

Odd, the stock card works for you?

Perhaps a firmware update is due (possibly a firmware bug, since ASUS does whitelist WiFi cards)?

Other than that, perhaps an issue with the OS is the cause of this, since I had put the Intel 9260 in multiple computers without any issues whatsoever (I just use SDIO to install the driver after I insert the card).

18 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

ASUS do not provide this, had the problem myself.  However they DO NOT blacklist cards either, so any physically compatible should work.

Strange thing is I couldn't get an AX201 to work in mine despite it having a CNVi card in it originally, yet an AX200 DID work, which isn't supposed to work in a CNVi slot. :/

What card did it originally have? The Intel 9560? Or the 9461 or 9462?

On 7/4/2019 at 6:37 AM, Saksham said:

get anything with wifi 6 and bt5.0

or anything with atleast bt 5.0. 

That leaves only two choices:

Either the Intel AX200, or the Intel 9260 (CNVi is probably not supported).

3 hours ago, moriel5 said:

That leaves only two choices:

Either the Intel AX200, or the Intel 9260 (CNVi is probably not supported).

get the ax200 if you can. i believe its the flashship laptop wifi card (not sure tho)

Edit: I meant flagship not flashship

Edited by Saksham