Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
StandardFiend

How are my Ryzen 2700x temps?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey all. My first post here at LTT, with some questions regarding my new PC.

 

It's been a long, long time since I've put a rig together, and there were some firsts for me, most important of which were both the installation of an AIO and the use of an AMD processor. My last machine was a Clarkdale Core i3 dual core using the stock heatsink, for example.

 

Anyway, here is my system breakdown:

 

Momboard: MSI x470 Gaming Pro Carbon

CPU: AMD Ryzen 2700x

Cooler: Corsair H100i Pro RGB

TIM: Noctua NT-H2

RAM: 2x8GB Ballistix Sport AT 3000

Storage: Intel 660p 1TB NVMe

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti Windforce OC

PSU: Corsair RM650x

Case: Corsair Carbide 540 Air

 

The radiator is mounted at the top as an exhaust, with the fans pulling through the fins (which was a recommended configuration in one of LTT's videos). The case has two front 140mm intake fans and one rear 140mm exhaust.

 

Attached are a screenshot of a 10-minute Aida64 stability test, and temp HWinfo readings during the test, during a few hours of day-to-day work activity (which consists of mostly using MS Word and Chrome inside a remote desktop connection, as well as some light Chrome browsing locally), and during a brief gameplay section of Resident Evil 2.

 

During the Aida64 test, the CPU maintained 100% usage and reached a max of 75.6 degrees, and stayed within a few degrees of that for the duration.

 

During day-to-day activity, the temperature averaged 40.3 and spiked to a max of 54.1. I wish there were a way to view median temps, but from what I can gather just by keeping an eye on HWinfo, the processor spends a great deal of time in the low 40s--between 40-44. The lowest temperature for the entire period (about 3 hours) was 35.5.

 

During gameplay it averaged 46.2 and hit a max of 57.6. RE2 keeps a pretty minimal load on the CPU.

 

Ambient temperature of the room throughout the day ranged between 23-24.

 

My radiator fan profile is set to keep the blades at 20% until 38 degrees, when they will start ramping up to 90% at 60 degrees, then 100% at 80 degrees. So during the Aida64 test they were running at 90%.

 

The temps seem to high to me. 35.5 as the low with an average of over 40 for basically doing nothing, averaging 1.6% usage, seems too high. But again, I have no experience with AMD processors and I've never used an AIO before. Which is why I come to you. I'm hoping you can allay my concerns before I dismount the block and see if it's an issue of the TIM not having adequate coverage or if there's something worse going on.

 

I happen to have a thing of Conductonaut lying around. I opted for the Noctua paste instead just for ease of use, but do you think it would be worth using the liquid metal instead? Is there another paste I should reapply instead of the Noctua H2?

 

Thank you in advance for any assessments and advice you can offer.

 

hwm2Wrk.png

hwmA64.png

hwmRE2.png

stabilitytest.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Unsurprisingly low. Nothing to worry about for me (when overclocking) up till 80C


"What's under the heatsink?" ep1, "Why it's not as good as it seem?" AMD fanboy edition out, episode 2 "Why my gaming board is a scam?" Intel fanboy edition coming soon (this is a link)

Hardware specs below

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.4?V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

 

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

 

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not high per se, but it could be lower.  The paste is certainly not the problem so don't worry about changing or re-applying.  What you need to do is tweak your voltages.  Your SOC is too high.  And you should set a negative offset on the VCORE.  

 

- set SOC to 1.00V though you might be able to go a little lower at your RAM speed.

- set a negative VCORE offset of -.0500V and try to see how much you can increase it.  You'll probably not be able to go greater than around -.06875V and remain stable for every imaginable workload.  Like strenuous single core loads or tough AVX loads.  I run an offset of -.1000V daily and change it if I know I am going to encounter loads that it won't work for, but for daily use and gaming it's fine.  


AMD Ryzen 2700X  |  Fractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  | G.SKILL TridentZ 3636MHz 14-15-14-28 2x8GB  | EVGA 1070 Ti SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3  | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
11 minutes ago, nick name said:

It's not high per se, but it could be lower.  The paste is certainly not the problem so don't worry about changing or re-applying.  What you need to do is tweak your voltages.  Your SOC is too high.  And you should set a negative offset on the VCORE.  

 

- set SOC to 1.00V though you might be able to go a little lower at your RAM speed.

- set a negative VCORE offset of -.0500V and try to see how much you can increase it.  You'll probably not be able to go greater than around -.06875V and remain stable for every imaginable workload.  Like strenuous single core loads or tough AVX loads.  I run an offset of -.1000V daily and change it if I know I am going to encounter loads that it won't work for, but for daily use and gaming it's fine.  

Thank you for the reply. Tinkering with voltages (or anything in general) is not something I'm familiar with. Do I do that through the BIOS, or through some other software?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, StandardFiend said:

Thank you for the reply. Tinkering with voltages (or anything in general) is not something I'm familiar with. Do I do that through the BIOS, or through some other software?

BIOS.  It's all pretty simple.  

 

MSI should have the option for offset on VCORE now so if your BIOS doesn't have it in there then you need to update it.


AMD Ryzen 2700X  |  Fractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  | G.SKILL TridentZ 3636MHz 14-15-14-28 2x8GB  | EVGA 1070 Ti SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3  | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Alright, I did that and here are the results (Aida64 stress test and then a couple hours of nothing). I've lost a couple degrees all around. Is this what you would consider normal for my configuration? It still seems a bit high to me, especially for a 240mm AIO. I dunno.

How do the voltages look now? Is it normal for the SOC voltage to be sub-1, even though in the BIOS it's exactly 1.00?

 

hwmA642.png

hwm2Wrk2.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

@nick name Sorry the OP didn't tag you.

OP, please tag or quote people in the future if you want a reply


Current PC (Second Build) : CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-2666   GPU: PowerColor Radeon RX570 8gb MOBO: ASRock B450m Pro4 SSD: Inland 120gb HDD: 1tb Seagate Barracuda PSU: Cooler Master Masterwatt 500w Lite Case: NZXT H500

Link to post
Share on other sites

@StandardFiend Your SOC going below 1.0V can probably be cured with Load Line Calibration or you can just set it a touch higher.  And without knowing what the loads are for specific temps I can't give accurate feedback, but one thing might need attention.  In your Windows power plan -- make certain that Minimum Processor State is a value less than 50%.  You can use any plan you'd like as long as your do the former.  I don't see any of you cores ever getting up to 4.35GHz.

 

What value did you set for VCORE?

 

And I've only ever used a 360 so I'm not sure what to expect from a 240 AIO.  Again, nothing looks bad though.  


AMD Ryzen 2700X  |  Fractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  | G.SKILL TridentZ 3636MHz 14-15-14-28 2x8GB  | EVGA 1070 Ti SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3  | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

@nick name

Sorry for not tagging, still new here. And thank you for your continued help.

 

With a bit more reading I learned that it's possible HWInfo is slightly under-reporting the SOC voltage. A difference of only 0.025v makes that seem likely.

 

I gave the Vcore an offset of -0.05 as you suggested, but it doesn't seem to have made much of a difference, so I'll probably play with that a little more to see if I can bring the temps down another few degrees. I'm still averaging over 40 during almost nonexistent workloads (average 2%).

 

I set the CPU minimum to 50%, and while the average clock speeds are now accordingly lower, it doesn't seem to have affected the average temp. Minimum is down a degree and a half or so, but the average was unaffected. Maybe I can set the max down to 20-30% for work and see where that gets me.

 

If nothing looks bad, that's good enough for me. I guess that's all I need to know. I'll keep tinkering with the voltage to see if I can drop it, but as long as I can expect a long and healthy life out of the chip the way it is currently, that's all that matters.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, StandardFiend said:

@nick name

Sorry for not tagging, still new here. And thank you for your continued help.

 

With a bit more reading I learned that it's possible HWInfo is slightly under-reporting the SOC voltage. A difference of only 0.025v makes that seem likely.

 

I gave the Vcore an offset of -0.05 as you suggested, but it doesn't seem to have made much of a difference, so I'll probably play with that a little more to see if I can bring the temps down another few degrees. I'm still averaging over 40 during almost nonexistent workloads (average 2%).

 

I set the CPU minimum to 50%, and while the average clock speeds are now accordingly lower, it doesn't seem to have affected the average temp. Minimum is down a degree and a half or so, but the average was unaffected. Maybe I can set the max down to 20-30% for work and see where that gets me.

 

If nothing looks bad, that's good enough for me. I guess that's all I need to know. I'll keep tinkering with the voltage to see if I can drop it, but as long as I can expect a long and healthy life out of the chip the way it is currently, that's all that matters.

I said less than 50%.


AMD Ryzen 2700X  |  Fractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  | G.SKILL TridentZ 3636MHz 14-15-14-28 2x8GB  | EVGA 1070 Ti SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3  | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
8 minutes ago, nick name said:

I said less than 50%.

That's a typo on my part, it should have read "under 50%." But you didn't specify how much less. It's at 40 right now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, StandardFiend said:

That's a typo on my part, it should have read "under 50%." But you didn't specify how much less. It's at 40 right now.

I haven't seen any difference between 5% - 49%.  

 

Are you seeing the CPU get up to 4.35GHz now?


AMD Ryzen 2700X  |  Fractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  | G.SKILL TridentZ 3636MHz 14-15-14-28 2x8GB  | EVGA 1070 Ti SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3  | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

@nick name

 

I ran some CPU-Z bench tests for some casual readings, and here is what I got (I ran five tests for each condition and averaged the results):

 

At stock voltages (everything set to auto):

Max core speed of individual cores: 4349.0 MHz

Max speed of all cores together during bench: 3999.1 MHz

Max temp after benches: 60.5

Average temp from boot to cool-down after tests: 43.1 (not a terribly scientific reading)

Single core performance (average of 5 tests): 464.6

Multi core performance: 4850.2

 

With -0.0625v offset on Core and with SoC set to 1.000:

Max core speed of individual cores: 4348.7 MHz

Max speed of all cores together during bench: 3948.8 MHz

Max temp after benches: 57.0

Average temp: 43.9

Single core performance: 460.4

Multi core performance: 4790.8

 

So, with the voltages turned down, the max boost clock hasn't changed significantly. It still tops out at ~4.35 GHz although for some reason one single core (core 4) tops out at 4323.7 MHz. No idea why that would be. Also, the synchronized max speed dropped by 50 MHz, and while max temp during the tests went down, I didn't see any difference in average temp over time. After a couple hours, it's still sitting at 39.8 average with the lowered voltage. Most importantly, the actual performance has gone down by a few points in both single core and multi core. So essentially all I've done, it seems, is give myself a very slight underclock without any noticeable gains in temperature.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you tried manipulating any of the PBO settings to try and get that lost performance back?


AMD Ryzen 2700X  |  Fractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  | G.SKILL TridentZ 3636MHz 14-15-14-28 2x8GB  | EVGA 1070 Ti SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3  | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

@nick name

 

I will admit that I had to google that to even know what you were talking about. I set it to Enabled (it was previously on Auto) and suffered a further slight loss in multi-threaded performance, although now the cores are clocking .2 MHz higher. I wouldn't have any idea what to do with the Manual PBO settings.

 

I dunno what else to do. Most other posts I've seen in various places indicate that with a double-fan AIO my idle temps should be around 35, and mine are still almost 41. 🤷‍♂️

 

But thanks for your continued assistance. I understand that it's probably very tiresome dealing with someone who is a complete noob at this stuff.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, StandardFiend said:

@nick name

 

I will admit that I had to google that to even know what you were talking about. I set it to Enabled (it was previously on Auto) and suffered a further slight loss in multi-threaded performance, although now the cores are clocking .2 MHz higher. I wouldn't have any idea what to do with the Manual PBO settings.

 

I dunno what else to do. Most other posts I've seen in various places indicate that with a double-fan AIO my idle temps should be around 35, and mine are still almost 41. 🤷‍♂️

 

But thanks for your continued assistance. I understand that it's probably very tiresome dealing with someone who is a complete noob at this stuff.

Your using an AIO dont really think too much of Idle temp. If you want lower go set the fan curve higher in the bios for your radiator fans since they are most likely running at around 700rpm which will only take your temps slowly down and it also depends on the temps in the room. 


PC Specs

Ryzen 7 - 2700x - 4.2 Ghz (Upgrading When Ryzen 3rd Gen Is Out)

MSI B350 PC MATE (Upgrading to x570)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 360mm ARGB Sync TT Premium

G.Skillz Trident Z 3200mhz CL16

Gigabyte RTX 2060 Aorus Xtreme

Samsung Evo 970 - 256 GB

OCZ Agility - 256 GB

Western Digital - 1 TB

Corsair RM750x - 750W Gold

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

What case are you using?

 

And when you Enable PBO does it present you a different menu where you can adjust PBO limits?  


AMD Ryzen 2700X  |  Fractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  | G.SKILL TridentZ 3636MHz 14-15-14-28 2x8GB  | EVGA 1070 Ti SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3  | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
10 hours ago, Koxicain said:

Your using an AIO dont really think too much of Idle temp. If you want lower go set the fan curve higher in the bios for your radiator fans since they are most likely running at around 700rpm which will only take your temps slowly down and it also depends on the temps in the room. 

Yeah, maybe that's just what life is like with an AIO. Like I said, I've never used one before. I have a custom curve set for my fans, so between 38-40 degrees they are running at 20-30% speed. If I run them at max speed the temps drop a lot, but it's very noisy.

6 hours ago, nick name said:

What case are you using?

 

And when you Enable PBO does it present you a different menu where you can adjust PBO limits?  

Using the Carbide 540 Air. So the radiator is getting a very nice flow of outside air to suck through. 

 

The options I have for PBO are Auto, Enabled, Disabled, and Manual. Manual is what gives me the additional menu to adjust settings. When looking at it in the mobo, the settings are another bunch of abbreviations that I don't understand. I'll have another look tonight after work at what the specifics are.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, StandardFiend said:

Yeah, maybe that's just what life is like with an AIO. Like I said, I've never used one before. I have a custom curve set for my fans, so between 38-40 degrees they are running at 20-30% speed. If I run them at max speed the temps drop a lot, but it's very noisy.

Yeah thats life. 20-30% aint gonna drop you a lot of temps unless your room is nice and cool. 


PC Specs

Ryzen 7 - 2700x - 4.2 Ghz (Upgrading When Ryzen 3rd Gen Is Out)

MSI B350 PC MATE (Upgrading to x570)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 360mm ARGB Sync TT Premium

G.Skillz Trident Z 3200mhz CL16

Gigabyte RTX 2060 Aorus Xtreme

Samsung Evo 970 - 256 GB

OCZ Agility - 256 GB

Western Digital - 1 TB

Corsair RM750x - 750W Gold

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Koxicain said:

Yeah thats life. 20-30% aint gonna drop you a lot of temps unless your room is nice and cool. 

So I guess the main point is whether or not having the CPU averaging 40-41 (the room is as hot as it's going to get for the year, I believe) is acceptable for the longevity of the unit. @nick name has said that the numbers are okay; do you concur?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, StandardFiend said:

So I guess the main point is whether or not having the CPU averaging 40-41 (the room is as hot as it's going to get for the year, I believe) is acceptable for the longevity of the unit. @nick name has said that the numbers are okay; do you concur?

It wont kill your computer no. My system runs 24 hours and its currently outside between 20-28 degrees celsius which makes it freaking hot in the room and pc is running low 40's while watching twitch and browsing.


PC Specs

Ryzen 7 - 2700x - 4.2 Ghz (Upgrading When Ryzen 3rd Gen Is Out)

MSI B350 PC MATE (Upgrading to x570)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 360mm ARGB Sync TT Premium

G.Skillz Trident Z 3200mhz CL16

Gigabyte RTX 2060 Aorus Xtreme

Samsung Evo 970 - 256 GB

OCZ Agility - 256 GB

Western Digital - 1 TB

Corsair RM750x - 750W Gold

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

@nick name

Here is what's available for CPU configuration with PBO on Manual.

 

PPT (W) is Board Socket Power capability.

TDC (A) is Board thermally constrained current delivery capability.

EDC (A) is Board electrically constrained current delivery capability.

 

I have no idea what any of that means or what to do with it haha.

 

Also, since I may as well, I'm also including what my voltage settings look like, in case you can see something I've missed.IMG_20190619_221202.thumb.jpg.5628e81fea0340adb0e97bc48fc3d8f4.jpg

IMG_20190619_222358.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

PPT max 1000 (set this)

TDC max 114 (set this)

EDC max 168 (play around with this)

 

Core Performance Boost Enable (set this)


AMD Ryzen 2700X  |  Fractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  | G.SKILL TridentZ 3636MHz 14-15-14-28 2x8GB  | EVGA 1070 Ti SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3  | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have that same CPU and chipset. Stock (auto) voltage is way too aggressive. I also had thermal issues just idling.  I am all core overclocking to 4.2Ghz @ 1.33v and it's running cooler than it was at stock. If you are not overclocking you could probably get away with a static voltage in the neighborhood of 1.2v.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 hours ago, geo3 said:

I have that same CPU and chipset. Stock (auto) voltage is way too aggressive. I also had thermal issues just idling.  I am all core overclocking to 4.2Ghz @ 1.33v and it's running cooler than it was at stock. If you are not overclocking you could probably get away with a static voltage in the neighborhood of 1.2v.

1.2 as the core voltage you mean?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×