Change Windows 10 installation from Home to Pro

MrPotatoFace
Go to solution Solved by Sir Asvald,
9 minutes ago, MrPotatoFace said:

Forgot a key part  of the question: How can I update my PC to Windows 10 Pro WITHOUT losing any of my data?

Do you have a secondary drive? if so copy your data onto it then disconnect it when you're installing windows. once everything is done, reconnect your HDD copy your files back to the OS drive.

Ok, so I just finished building my first PC a few days ago. I downloaded Windows 10 Home to it, and today I bought a Windows 10 Pro key, thinking I could just type it in, and it would update to Pro, but when I went to activate it, it didn't work. I also noticed afterwards that it says underneath the code on the kinguin website: "This product cannot be used to upgrade your system from another version!"

How can I update my PC to Windows 10 Pro WITHOUT losing my data in order to use my key?

Thanks in advance for all answers.

Edited by MrPotatoFace

Just now, MrPotatoFace said:

Ok, so I just finished building my first PC a few days ago. I downloaded Windows 10 Home to it, and today I bought a Windows 10 Pro key, thinking I could just type it in, and it would update to Pro, but when I went to activate it, it didn't work. I also noticed afterwards that it says underneath the code on the kinguin website: "This product cannot be used to upgrade your system from another version!"

How can I update my PC to Windows 10 Pro in order to use my key?

Do a clean install of Windows 10 Pro...

Forgot a key part  of the question: How can I update my PC to Windows 10 Pro WITHOUT losing any of my data?

9 minutes ago, MrPotatoFace said:

Do you have a secondary drive? if so copy your data onto it then disconnect it when you're installing windows. once everything is done, reconnect your HDD copy your files back to the OS drive.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Just now, TheGlenlivet said:

Call Microsoft.  THey can use the Key to upgrade you if it is the right Key.

Wouldn't they refuse, considering this is an OEM key from kinguin?

1 minute ago, Abdul201588 said:

Thanks a lot, I'll try it

Just now, MrPotatoFace said:

Wouldn't they refuse, considering this is an OEM key from kinguin?

You kinda skipped the Kinguin part in your original post.  See if you can get your Money back from Kinguin and buy a real one.

You can do it from within your current install by upgrading with the Pro key.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Click Windows Logo > Settings icon on the left (the gear) > Update & Security > Activation (on the left) > Change Product Key

Edit:

I didn't read the OP and jumped right in.  Now after reading -- I am assuming that this is the method you tried and that failed.  My apologies.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

31 minutes ago, MrPotatoFace said:

How can I update my PC to Windows 10 Pro WITHOUT losing my data in order to use my key?

Do an in place upgrade to Pro, your apps will be deleted, but data stays. But an in place upgrade is kind of messy, so I suggest backing up to an external/secondary hard drive. NOTE: I highly recommend unplugging your secondary HDD during the Windows install, to make sure you won't format your data drive by accident.

If Windows 10 Home is refusing your key, it's likely a problem with the key itself, as others have mentioned.  If it was a legitimate key, your upgrade would have gone smoothly, requiring a single reboot, no data or applications lost.