Amazon Sold Me A Fake Xeon...?

So, I bought this Xeon E5 2650 v4 from Amazon (sold & shipped). The only SKU for it that turns up on Google has 2011-v3 socket type associated with it, which is the kind of server board I have for my application. Here's the issue, the processor that I got sent has the right etchings on it, but it's NOT 2011-v3 as can be seen in the attached picture. The sticker at the bottom of the cpu box says "LGA2011V4" on it. The question is, what sorcery is this? And what's LGA2011V4?

Thanks.

bastard_xeon.jpg

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

6 minutes ago, Alexsolo said:

Whats your motherboard? 

Might be a misprint in the label... socket type is 2011 v3

But the processor model is an E5-2650 v4. 

it's a Supermicro X10. There's nothing to debate over the motherboard, since I previously ran a 2011-v3 processor in it--and the socket basically has a huge "2011-3" stamped on the cover that you see opened in the pic above.

@nick name

That's exactly what has me perplexed. This unit I received is not a 2011-3.

Edited by Pallas Cat
added a reply

A Google of Supermicro X10 led to https://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/Xeon_X10_E5.cfm?pg=MB&show=SELECT&socket=R3 which states the socket is 2011, but all the pics show dual sockets so not sure if same board.

Edit:

Wait, no.  Found a single socket variant after scrolling down.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

6 minutes ago, Pallas Cat said:

it's a Supermicro X10. There's nothing to debate over the motherboard, since I previously ran a 2011-v3 processor in it--and the socket basically has a huge "2011-3" stamped on the cover that you see opened in the pic above.

@nick name

That's exactly what has me perplexed. This unit I received is not a 2011-3.

I think it is a 2011-3, but your board is a 2011?  Perhaps the board was mis-labled?  

Edit:

I do see 2011-3 stamped on the sockets bracket.  

Edit 2:

Perhaps they co-mingled the bracket with the actual socket.  

6 minutes ago, nick name said:

I think it is a 2011-3, but your board is a 2011?  Perhaps the board was mis-labled?  

No, Nick. My board is a 2011-v3 :) I was previously running another 2011-v3 processor in it. Here's an ss from the pdf file that was in the mobo cd.

lga2011-v3.png

Here's a clear pic of the 2011-3 stamping on the socket itself. To summarize the issue, a 2011-v3 socket that previously ran a 2011-v3 processor in it for over a year can't accept a new cpu that should have been 2011-v3 compatible.

socket_stamping.jpg

Edit:

guys, take a look at this picture of what a "real" E5 2650 v4 looks like. I think I got had by Amazon for reals.

1703156257_-INTEL-Xeon-Processor-E5-2650-v4-OEM-2718662245.jpg.ec0bdc85a25dd3577ad8ac6931402c1b.jpg

☹️

Edited by Pallas Cat
added a pic

58 minutes ago, Pallas Cat said:

So, I bought this Xeon E5 2650 v4 from Amazon (sold & shipped).

all the E5-2650V4 CPU's have those things on the sides, so yeah I would say it's fake, there's also the dots on top and bottom
процессор-INTEL-Xeon-Processor-E5-2650-v4-OEM-2718662245.jpg

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

22 minutes ago, Pallas Cat said:

guys, take a look at this picture of what a "real" E5 2650 v4 looks like. I think I got had by Amazon for reals.

oh you posted it before me, it's fine though you can contact Amazon and tell them to give you a refund or return it, and show them pictures, they have amazing customer service

Also 2011V4 doesn't exist, the scammers are clueless

4 minutes ago, Alexsolo said:

Put in the old V3 processor you have, update the BIOS of the Supermicro board, and put back in the new E5-v4 processor. 

My friend ? the processor is PHYSICALLY incompatible with the 2011-v3. Bios issues, however, are resolved over IPMI (even works without any ram or cpu installed). This here is not a BIOS issue.

8 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

oh you posted it before me, it's fine though you can contact Amazon and tell them to give you a refund or return it, and show them pictures, they have amazing customer service

Ofcourse, but it makes me wonder what exactly is going on here. Did a processor get etched wrong or something more sinister. IDK.

Just now, Pallas Cat said:

My friend ? the processor is PHYSICALLY incompatible with the 2011-v3. Bios issues, however, are resolved over IPMI (even works without any ram or cpu installed). This here is not a BIOS issue.

Ofcourse, but it makes me wonder what exactly is going on here. Did a processor get etched wrong or something more sinister. IDK.

I think someone bought a 2650V4 CPU, and because Amazon trusts their customers too much, the guy who bought it returned the CPU with something completely different, and then Amazon put it back on the shelf

Or maybe you bought the CPU from a 3rd party seller who's trying to scam people, never buy something that expensive from 3rd party sellers on Amazon

4 minutes ago, Pallas Cat said:

I don't know it's weird shit though, I'd be interested to know what that CPU actually is

Oh yeah the difference between those two IHS is night and day.  

This was from Amazon.com as the seller and shipper?

1 minute ago, nick name said:

Oh yeah the difference between those two IHS is night and day.  

This was from Amazon.com as the seller and shipper?

yep. I bought the last new one they were selling. Other listings are for third party sellers.

The circuit board is so green.. and the heatspreader looks so plasticy and simple... I don't think that thing has ever worked... I would indeed recommend you to contact Amazon to get you a new CPU or refund. :)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

25 minutes ago, Pallas Cat said:

yep. I bought the last new one they were selling. Other listings are for third party sellers.

Definitely raise a little hell.  Contact them before 10 PST and you'll get someone in the states with some empowerment.  Also, leave a review that is 2 stars or less.  They review all their 1 and 2 star reviews and contact those reviewers to try to make things right.  

• 1 year later...

Hello, my apologies for digging up this old thread, however I'm facing the exact same situation today. This CPU with LGA2011v4 is a mystery and at this point, not even the seller knows what is going on. I was wondering, what happened with your case finally? Did Amazon take it back and most important, did you get any explanation for this? Thanking you in advance.