TCP Connections - OUT of control, please help.

CreamyCornCob

Long story short (posted the speed problem here)...  Months getting 375mb down (ethernet). Out of the blue for the past three weeks, 9mb down. Many times re-setting router, resetting PC, using various router ports, malware bytes current (no issues), 3 ethernet cables etc, still 9mb down.

Plugged a laptop into ethernet (same cable) 375mb down. So for sure, its on this desktop side.

Today, I looked at task manager and resource monitor, and it looks like a runaway nightmare. The screenshot has chrome open with one tab. Theres all kinds of listening ports, tcp connections etc running or open. I looked what what this "nvcontainer.exe" was and it doesn't bode well. And chrome having all that running with 1 tab open? No browser plug ins etc.

Can someone look at this and make any sense of it please and maybe, hopefully, praying this has to do with my crawling downstream speeds.

Thank You.

2cofm0y.jpg

Majority of those connections are to Akamai servers (content delivery network). Port 443 is https , encrypted http transfers.

Most likely you have a website in a tab or several tabs which has some sort of chat or content that refreshes periodically.

@mariushm As of this screenshot, I have one tab open, the Linus forum. In those TCP connections or anything you see, is any of this responsible for speeds going from 375 down to 9?

Why are there so many remote address's open with so many different IP addresses? I Only have Linus' forum open.

k3xjzb.jpg

Just because you have one tab open doesn't mean only one connection will be active. There are lots of background processes that run as well, connectivity between the site and youtube for the embedded links, ads in the background, telemetry data from the browser back to google, checking for updates, etc. can all be going on just from having a browser open.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

@Lurick Gotcha on that. So looking at the listening ports and TCP connections with just LTT forum open, you see nothing out of the ordinary in either screenshots?

Just now, CreamyCornCob said:

@Lurick Gotcha on that. So looking at the listening ports and TCP connections with just LTT forum open, you see nothing out of the ordinary in either screenshots?

Nothing stands out to me, no

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: