$1500 PC, random half second lag spikes/freezes

Shock123
15 minutes ago, Dr. Historic Low said:

Fast enough for gaming? Sure. Fast enough for lag-free gaming? Not even close.

As I have stated over and over, I deal with these types of internet everyday. They lag the game every single time. I used to be in his shoes as well and everyone I played with did not want to play with me because of it. The day I upgraded my internet is the day they no longer complained to me about lag.

Sorry for yelling. It's for effect.

If we say "lag" is really network latency, then sure.

However latency typically does not cause client-side rendering stutter, as what OP is complaining about:

On 5/12/2019 at 1:17 PM, Shock123 said:

fps lag spikes, not ping

Source: Myself. I play online games regularly (well maybe just one) and I recently was going through an episode with my router where I was getting unusually high latency. I experienced no client-side rendering stutter.

However I will also like to point out what you experience is not the same as what anyone else experiences. So any fixes you've found that worked on your system will not necessarily work on another's

Source: Also myself, through a combination of my time being my own and other's tech support as well as doing investigations regarding software issues for my job.

If I can't use myself as a source then well, uh, your anecdote is just that, an anecdote, not a definitive solution.

@Shock123 I guess to offer something resembling a solution instead of badgering other people, I found a megathread on Reddit and it appears as Windows kept getting updated, more and more things were added or enabled by default. One of them that seemed to pop up a lot was the Game DVR feature, but considering that feature was implemented back in 2017, I'm not sure how much of an impact it still has today.

On 5/12/2019 at 11:53 AM, Shock123 said:

-snip-

On 5/13/2019 at 4:41 AM, LoGiCalDrm said:

-snip-

On 5/13/2019 at 1:13 PM, Mira Yurizaki said:

-snip-

Well then explain the following... Play in 1440p for best quality as that is the quality of the video. YouTube makes the gameplay look choppy but I assure you it is choppy-free gameplay.

Exhibit A...

This is a lobby with 20 people in it. FPS is around 68-80(mostly in the 70's).

Exhibit B...

Pretty much the exact same video, only this time, I kicked everyone out the lobby and am now in a solo lobby. FPS is now at 82-103(mostly in the 90's).

Conclusion, internet affects fps.

20 minutes ago, Dr. Historic Low said:

Well then explain the following... Play in 1440p for best quality as that is the quality of the video. YouTube makes the gameplay look choppy but I assure you it is choppy-free gameplay.

Exhibit A...

Exhibit B...

Pretty much the exact same video, only this time, I kicked everyone out the lobby and am now in a solo lobby. FPS is now at 82-103(mostly in the 90's).

or the player count + what they were doing could also affect fps. 

I have an idea, play at 100+ ping and going solo like you did here. Then compare that fps in that situation with when you actually had good ping and went solo. 

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

39 minutes ago, Dr. Historic Low said:

Exhibit A...

Exhibit B...

dude, a full lobby is obviously full of people, which means your cpu has to render more things, resulting in lower fps. An empty lobby literally has nobody in it, which means it doesn't have to work nearly as hard, which results in higher fps.

On 5/13/2019 at 4:47 PM, LoGiCalDrm said:

Some other software accessing drive could cause this.

Pagefile is virtual memory. Some software need it to run. If you don't know what it is, then its not issue. Windows sets it to high enough by default (matching your RAM size).

If you have 2nd monitor, Task Manager works. If not, you can use MSI Afterburner, HWiNFO64, HWmonitor etc. to save graph. The things that interest me are drive usage, RAM usage and CPU/GPU usage (though these two should only reflect to two first ones).

I would call that micro-stutter. It can have many causes, like RAM. That was issue with my old system. Upgrading from 4gb to 8gb solved that, but I was 80%+ RAM usage all the time back then.

ill take a look at this later, i need to do some other things first, ill let you know if it helps!

20 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Or they could try and see if this continues without internet access. If it does, your hypothesis is incorrect.

same thing happens, 100 percent the same if i play an online game vs an offline game. Same amount of freezes

9 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

@Shock123 I guess to offer something resembling a solution instead of badgering other people, I found a megathread on Reddit and it appears as Windows kept getting updated, more and more things were added or enabled by default. One of them that seemed to pop up a lot was the Game DVR feature, but considering that feature was implemented back in 2017, I'm not sure how much of an impact it still has today.

ill check it out, thanks!

I have the exact same issue as the OP it seems to be a texture streaming issue which I have no idea how to fix I've tried loading games onto a SSD but still no luck heres an example of me playing an OFFLINE game with video footage of the issue that I run into in damn near every game (obviously some more than others)

In the below video I used MSI Afterburner to show all my CPUs/My GPU and a graph of when the spikes happen and what happen when they do. This happens in almost all of my games everything from Starbound to Rage 2 at completely random times. Keep in mind this is on a completely new computer all new parts freshly built that has only been put together for 2 months but my past PCs had the same issues. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfjMQowtMOk

My setup is an
Ryzen 7 2700x 3.8ghz (however in things like CPU Z both with Balanced and High End Performance its either in the 2.5-2.8 or the 4.1 range instead.)
1070 ti SC 
16 GB Ram
And I basically run everything at 1080p with the stock cooler that came with the Ryzen 7.

Two of the biggest problem games currently are Rage 2 and CSGO and CSGo has always had this issue both with this new system I built about 2 months ago and my old i7 4790k 4.0ghz with a 1070 ti as well. 

Here is my internet Speed Test before that other person keeps claiming its my internet and I need to upgrade it.
8261963999.png

EDIT:

Turns out I may have just figured out the problem myself.

I swapped my DIMMS and set my profile to D.O.C.P. and after running Rage 2 I had no GPU drops just slowdown when loading a new area everything else ran perfect. Gonna test some other games as well and for the OP if you're still having this issue trying swapping your DIMMS and setting D.O.C.P if you use a AMD CPU and if you use Intel look for something called XMP profile instead. 

* Thread cleaned *

Please keep it on-topic and try to help the OP. If you're unwilling or unable to help, then there's no need to reply.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

13 hours ago, kagatoASUKA89 said:

I have the exact same issue as the OP it seems to be a texture streaming issue which I have no idea how to fix I've tried loading games onto a SSD but still no luck heres an example of me playing an OFFLINE game with video footage of the issue that I run into in damn near every game (obviously some more than others)

In the below video I used MSI Afterburner to show all my CPUs/My GPU and a graph of when the spikes happen and what happen when they do. This happens in almost all of my games everything from Starbound to Rage 2 at completely random times. Keep in mind this is on a completely new computer all new parts freshly built that has only been put together for 2 months but my past PCs had the same issues. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfjMQowtMOk

My setup is an
Ryzen 7 2700x 3.8ghz (however in things like CPU Z both with Balanced and High End Performance its either in the 2.5-2.8 or the 4.1 range instead.)
1070 ti SC 
16 GB Ram
And I basically run everything at 1080p with the stock cooler that came with the Ryzen 7.

Two of the biggest problem games currently are Rage 2 and CSGO and CSGo has always had this issue both with this new system I built about 2 months ago and my old i7 4790k 4.0ghz with a 1070 ti as well. 

Here is my internet Speed Test before that other person keeps claiming its my internet and I need to upgrade it.
8261963999.png

EDIT:

Turns out I may have just figured out the problem myself.

I swapped my DIMMS and set my profile to D.O.C.P. and after running Rage 2 I had no GPU drops just slowdown when loading a new area everything else ran perfect. Gonna test some other games as well and for the OP if you're still having this issue trying swapping your DIMMS and setting D.O.C.P if you use a AMD CPU and if you use Intel look for something called XMP profile instead. 

ill try it out, my memory is already set to xmp also

• 10 months later...
On 5/12/2019 at 12:07 PM, ki8aras said:

reinstall audio drivers, i had this problem about a month ago and reinstalling them fixed it

Omg thank you! I just uninstalled my audio drivers and let windows use the generic stuff. My good old 3770k on a p8z77-deluxe motherboard runs smooth now. It started with the lag spikes since I formated and I couldn't find the issue.