Google Pixel 3a & 3a XL - Future Bestsellers

JonoT
1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

The new title is: Google Pixel 3a & 3a XL - Future Bestsellers. 

The old title was: iPhone Xr KILLER - Pixel 3a First Look

This is interesting. By the time I was replying it still showed the old title even with your comment. Might've been cached or something. It's new now. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

13 minutes ago, comander said:

Slower CPU. Less-nice materials.

A slower CPU means a less power hungry CPU, which is a major plus. I don't game on my phone.

And the materials are far nicer on the 3a. As a phone body plastic preforms better  to glass by a very wide margin.

6 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

We talked about this a while back (like a week), just something that I noticed. Colleague has an S9+, needed his phone for Samsung OS translation to my language, he had it downscaled to 2xx0x1080 (not sure what the S9+ downscaled is). You can immediately notice the difference, everything is so, so blurred. One might only notice it definitely if they used a higher res screen, but most people should notice it. More so since it's OLED so basically 2/3 pixels. My recommendation, go and test it on a big enough screen, I'll bet you a billion internet points you'll notice it immediately. 

If image was blurry it's because either downscaling was shit and/or because it's not a native resolution. Come on, just face it that absurd resolution looks nice on paper and it's why everyone is really doing it. Just like all the crappy graphic cards that could barely run Windows Aero and had 8GB VRAM because it looked massive.

I also don't care about OLED anymore. And I had one, one of the first SuperAMOLED's. Two in fact. Then went back to IPS LCD and I frankly don't care even though I was worried at first when going "backwards". And same is with resolution. Was worried because XR's numbers look poor on paper, but as I'm using it for months now, it's great.

7 hours ago, comander said:

That's a matter of opinion. I'll go as far as saying that while I wouldn't pay much for premium materials, my pixel 3 has a much nicer feel to it than the plastic phone I also use. It's also weather use and abuse a bit better. 

Too bad I'll never feel it as it needs to be in a case all the time to prevent breaking. Glass as a phone body is just the stupidest idea ever.

So, why buy either of these over Poco F1?

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

2 hours ago, Quadriplegic said:

So, why buy either of these over Poco F1?

It's a tough one, as I'm in the market for a "mid-range" Android phone it is probably one I should look at too.

F1 is way cheaper than 3a, faster CPU, more ram. Against that is it isn't stock Android, and without looking it up further I have no idea what the camera is like. Oh, I don't like notches either.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 minutes ago, porina said:

It's a tough one, as I'm in the market for a "mid-range" Android phone it is probably one I should look at too.

F1 is way cheaper than 3a, faster CPU, more ram. Against that is it isn't stock Android, and without looking it up further I have no idea what the camera is like. Oh, I don't like notches either.

Fair enough. I haven't used one personally, but it is said that Poco launcher is somewhat close to stock Android. Though bootlocker is unlocked, so you can install Lineage OS into it. 

Camera isn't super great, but you can install GCam.

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

Everyone is complaining about how the bezels aren't razor thin and the chassis isn't made of rose gold-pressed latinum. What I see is a new nexus 5x I can get for $300 on my existing Fi service.

I'd be very interested to see this compared to the pocophone F1, especially the custom rom version that LTT did a video on before.

Honestly looking at the mid-range right now is depressing. I can go back and buy a "new" Unlocked Galaxy S8 non plus model for equal if not less and have better Bezel and some better core features like water resistance. 

This is definitely a sign that newer phones are offering less improvement anywhere but the top of the flagships.

Enough thinking, more doing. Ordered a 3A, should arrive tomorrow. Anyone wants hands on info let me know.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

9 hours ago, Quadriplegic said:

but it is said that Poco launcher is somewhat close to stock Android

MIUI? Hell no. Not even close. It has 1 upside that I can think of, and that is navigation gestures, but in general it's far from stock. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Just wanted to point out a small mistake at 6:25. The label said Pixel 3 XL instead of 3a XL.

My 3A arrived. Only partially setup for now. I had forgotten how much of a pain it is to get everything exactly how I like it, even if it is one time thing per device. Same problem with PCs... Not an Android problem, but 3rd party apps - the big names like Facebook, Twitter, etc., why can't they keep the same settings on every install? Moving my 2FA logins over will be something to not look forward to.

Anyway, back to the device. Screen is unlike any other I have and seems to pack a punch without looking fake like my old Samsung S6 did. The aspect ratio is slightly longer than 16:9 which I didn't notice before. While some in this thread picked up on the non-screen space on each end, it is smaller than I've seen on other phones. Only other things I've noticed worth speaking of is the haptics when typing still isn't as good as an iPhone's. I normally turn it off anyway. And the launcher is a bit different again from other Android 9 devices I already have, so that'll take a little getting used to.

I'm tempted but I'm a use it till it doesn't work properly sort of guy and my nearly 2 year old phone is still punching fine.

I finally moved all my important apps over, which is a pain as it includes 2FA authenticators. Nothing new to report, it does pretty much what you'd expect a Google phone to do. The only minor niggle is the screen aspect ratio. I had the same problem with an ipad mini recently. I found that too wide (16:12) and the Pixel 3a is too long (18.5:9) so for most 16:9 content there is wasted screen space.

21 hours ago, porina said:

I finally moved all my important apps over, which is a pain as it includes 2FA authenticators. Nothing new to report, it does pretty much what you'd expect a Google phone to do. The only minor niggle is the screen aspect ratio. I had the same problem with an ipad mini recently. I found that too wide (16:12) and the Pixel 3a is too long (18.5:9) so for most 16:9 content there is wasted screen space.

Unless you are watching an ltt video (wink wink, nudge nudge)

But seriously, I agree, 18 or 18.5/9 video is uncommon, so it is mostly wasted space.

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!