What should i do to make old laptop faster.

Hi,

I recently got my hands on an old laptop with a Pentium T4400 2.20GHZ dual core and 2 gigs of ram.It has 300gb hard drive with only 50gb left.Its so slow so i wanted to kinda of refresh it and give it back to my friend.First i will back up the files in my main pc with EaseUS Todo Backup.And then clear the disk.Not completely formating even the os.Then i am gonna try to reduce the startup files so the pc turns on faster.What else can i do.Also if i get 4gb on ram can it play fortnite super low settings 480p?

Just now, Peter041098 said:

that CPU is 10 years old, so i wouldn't expect much from it

Yes but is there something i can do?.

3 minutes ago, ManosMax13 said:

Yes but is there something i can do?.

Throw it away and buy a new one?

9 minutes ago, ManosMax13 said:

if i get 4gb on ram can it play fortnite super low settings 480p?

No

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Make shore the OS is 64bit, make shore the cooling fan is clean and hope it lives an-over year

If it seems to be running very well other wise, check if the drive is an SATA interface.  If so, an SSD would boost overall system performance....but not any kind of gaming performance.  At best, that laptop would work for web-browsing, e-mail, social media....etc.

SSD IF the laptop has a SATA hard drive connection, that is pretty much the only thing that can be done to hardware that garbage.

RAM and SSD. Those are only parts you can easily change, and everything else would be waste of time and money. You are better giving it away to recycling and get new or even used laptop.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

There's no point in upgrading it and cleaning it up unless it's rare (but if that was the case, I think keeping it as factory as possible would be best).

If for some reason you're super insistent on doing it, just get some RAM, an SSD, and put Linux on it.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Moving it from Windows to Linux is probably going to see the biggest gain of anything you can do . As others have said ,If you want to throw cash at it , max the ram and pop in a ssd drive