Removing stock fan from CPU = disaster

CreamyCornCob

Months ago, wanted to remove the stock fan/color from an AMD FX Black edition. While it was mounted on the mobo, slightly twisting, slightly anything wouldn't budge, no matter what I did.

Then I accidentally pulled the cpu from its socket while still lock mounted. From there, I had to use the dental floss to separate the cpu from the fan block.

Checked all the pins (thank God it didn't rip them off stuck in the locked socket etc). Cleaned up, tiny bit of new arctic paste and new cooler, booted, A-OK. phew.

BTW stock pre-installed CPU paste sucks a**, it was like concrete.

So, now its time to remove the radiator/fan to install more ram (slots are under the cooler/fan - its a micro ATX board). The ram will just clear the bottom of the fan.

SO, what is the best way to remove the new cooler from the CPU? Is it very slight twisting back and forth? I hope this comes off easier then the stock pre-installed paste/pad, good grief. 

Just now, emosun said:

arctic silver won't be like glue like the previous paste it should just come right off

And if it doesn't come right off, slowly twist cooler 90 degrees left and right while NOT pulling up or tilting cooler just keep it flat and slowly twist it to break it up if it's having a hard time coming off.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

arctic silver won't be like glue like the previous paste it should just come right off

So you think it should just pull up and come off? No twisting etc?

Emosun and Spooky, OK ty. God I'm having nightmares of that happening again.

Thank You.

1 minute ago, CreamyCornCob said:

So you think it should just pull up and come off? No twisting etc?

if its arctic silver that was done recently then it should. even the weight of the cooler should make it just fall right off.

1 minute ago, emosun said:

if its arctic silver that was done recently then it should. even the weight of the cooler should make it just fall right off.

Wait... My mistake (different build). It was the paste that came with the CoolerMaster cooler... am I still safe? I used a pea sized in the middle and the coolers only been on there for 4 months.

To be honest this is common with AMD's sockets. the paste will either harden or create a tight vacuum and be removed with the cooler it isn't a big deal.

12 minutes ago, Snipergod87 said:

To be honest this is common with AMD's sockets. the paste will either harden or create a tight vacuum and be removed with the cooler it isn't a big deal.

Yeah I kinda thought that with the AMD pre-installed square paste/pad. Its like friggin concrete.

I dont think you understand, it is a big deal when the cpu is still attached to the cooler and the cpu is pulled out with the socket still in a locked position.