Looking for Linux Distro

Go to solution Solved by Calamity1911,

I'm probably gonna set up Ubuntu with the theme pack @wasab recommended, and if I have any trouble, I'll start a support thread and put a link to it in here. Thanks for the help!

I recently decided that I would like to dual boot my system so I can mess around with both Linux and Windows. I do already know the basics of linux (more specifically Ubuntu) but I'm looking for a distro that can easily be used for like steam play (and their Proton API). 

I see that Ubuntu MATE advertises it, but I don't know exactly how well it does steam play and/or how hard it is to get running.

I guess what I'm really asking about is how easy is it to set up Ubuntu Mate to work with Steam play and Proton. If it is not worth my time or otherwise easier to set up on other distros, let me know please!

And yes, I already have watched Linus' video on Linux gaming. Both the older and newer one.

2 minutes ago, Calamity1911 said:

I recently decided that I would like to dual boot my system so I can mess around with both Linux and Windows. I do already know the basics of linux (more specifically Ubuntu) but I'm looking for a distro that can easily be used for like steam play (and their Proton API). 

I see that Ubuntu MATE advertises it, but I don't know exactly how well it does steam play and/or how hard it is to get running.

I guess what I'm really asking about is how easy is it to set up Ubuntu Mate to work with Steam play and Proton. If it is not worth my time or otherwise easier to set up on other distros, let me know please!

And yes, I already have watched Linus' video on Linux gaming. Both the older and newer one.

I guess I could ask. What's your drive size or specs on the PC?

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Why not just use Ubuntu, especially since you already have some experience with it?

I have used Ubuntu based distros in the past. I guess I should've specified that. Specifically ElementaryOS and xubuntu.

This is just personal preference, but I don't really like Ubuntu's UI. 

2 minutes ago, RedBoyRyanYT said:

I guess I could ask. What's your drive size or specs on the PC?

I have: 

250GB M.2 NVME SSD (boot)

500GB SATA SSD (some games)

1x WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM and 1x Seagate BarraCuda 1TB 7200RPM

In terms of specs,

R5 1600 OC'd to 3.8 GHz

16Gb 3000MHz (2x 8Gb) Corsair Vengeance LPX

MSI B350M Gaming Pro Motherboard

GTX 1060 6GB GPU

EVGA 550 G3 PSU  

Just now, Calamity1911 said:

I have: 

250GB M.2 NVME SSD (boot)

500GB SATA SSD (some games)

1x WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM and 1x Seagate BarraCuda 1TB 7200RPM

In terms of specs,

R5 1600 OC'd to 3.8 GHz

16Gb 3000MHz (2x 8Gb) Corsair Vengeance LPX

MSI B350M Gaming Pro Motherboard

GTX 1060 6GB GPU

EVGA 550 G3 PSU  

Nice system, btw.

What were you thinking in terms of games?

4 minutes ago, Calamity1911 said:

I have used Ubuntu based distros in the past. I guess I should've specified that. Specifically ElementaryOS and xubuntu.

This is just personal preference, but I don't really like Ubuntu's UI. 

You can grab a theme pack and customize it. I recommend flat remix. That thing works wonders.

https://github.com/daniruiz/flat-remix/blob/master/README.md

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Just now, Calamity1911 said:

That specific pack actually looks really good, I'll look into it.

Would that effect the installation/use of Steam and its games at all?

Pretty sure packs are just modifications, so you're fine.

13 minutes ago, Calamity1911 said:

I mean, PopOS! is an option too.

3 minutes ago, RedBoyRyanYT said:

Nice system, btw.

What were you thinking in terms of games?

I rotate through quite a few, but in terms of steam, right now I'm really into Rocket League (even though I suck)

Other games I have:

CSGO

Doom

Fallout 4

Kerbal Space Program

Lethal League Blaze

RotTR

SotTR

Warframe

Skyrim Special Edition

I'm probably gonna set up Ubuntu with the theme pack @wasab recommended, and if I have any trouble, I'll start a support thread and put a link to it in here. Thanks for the help!

4 minutes ago, Calamity1911 said:

That specific pack actually looks really good, I'll look into it.

Would that effect the installation/use of Steam and its games at all?

nah. steam client looks the same regardless what Desktop environment or themepacks, heck even the operating system you run it on. it is always the dark theme plus the decorless windows and annoying notifications from its store page. 

Sudo make me a sandwich