Monitor Very Sensitive to Bumps

john01dav

I have a dual monitor setup on my computer, and one of the monitors is having significant issues. Specifically, if I bump the table (as happens fairly frequently as the room is somewhat small -- sometimes minor shaking from typing is enough), the monitor turns off for a few seconds and then turns back on. It does not show its logo when this takes place as it usually does when turning on, nor does the power light turn off. There is also a slight buzzing sound from the lower-right of the monitor (near the power light and buttons, but not near the inputs) while it is turned off. Occasionally, when it turns off, it stays off until I switch the HDMI cable to the other HDMI input at which point the issue temporarily subsides and then grows in frequency until it stays off until another HDMI switch.

While the HDMI switching is a minor annoyance, I am worried that this is a symptom that suggests that the monitor will fully break soon, and become useless. I'd really rater not drop US$150 on a new one, as that isn't something that I can afford right now. Does anyone know what is happening here or how I can fix it?

Other information:

- 27" (to help differentiate the model if needed)

- 1920x1080 60hz

- It has a VGA, DVI, and two HDMI inputs

- It has an audio output for the audio coming in over HDMI.

- The colors are slightly off, but this is only noticeable when next to my nicer monitor that I also use on this computer.

- The model of the monitor is a Viewsonic VX2753mh-LED.

I'd say that a ribbon cable in between the monitor's PCB and the LCD itself is loose. If you have a warranty, send it back ASAP. If not, you can try to open it up and look for any loose/blown capacitors, loose ribbon cables, cracked PCB, other damage to board.

Quote or mention me or I won't be notified of your reply!

Main Rig: R7 3700x New!, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming New!, Corsair RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz New!, 512GB Crucial P5, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD, 2TB Barracuda HDD

MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Max, 32GB RAM)

Links: My beautiful sketchy case | My website

On 4/18/2019 at 6:35 PM, ImAlsoRan said:

I'd say that a ribbon cable in between the monitor's PCB and the LCD itself is loose. If you have a warranty, send it back ASAP. If not, you can try to open it up and look for any loose/blown capacitors, loose ribbon cables, cracked PCB, other damage to board.

The warranty is unfortunately long expired, and there is no way to open it up. It looks like a single injection molded piece of plastic as there are no screws or visible seams.

24 minutes ago, john01dav said:

The warranty is unfortunately long expired, and there is no way to open it up. It looks like a single injection molded piece of plastic as there are no screws or visible seams.

That’s when we brute force and melt the plastic/dremmel the case off

this is satire btw

Quote or mention me or I won't be notified of your reply!

Main Rig: R7 3700x New!, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming New!, Corsair RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz New!, 512GB Crucial P5, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD, 2TB Barracuda HDD

MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Max, 32GB RAM)

Links: My beautiful sketchy case | My website