Intel and 4k

I am looking to build a small Plex server / HTPC to connect to a 4k tv using the awesome inwin chopin case. There's just one thing I cannot seem to get a clear or comforting answer on really.

I know 8th gen Intel cpus are capable of 4k UHD at 60hz - so if I got a micro itx motherboard with HDMI 2.0 would I be able to stream HDR content through it? Also does anyone have any experience with active display port to HDMI adaptors and do they give the desired results. 

Just looking to avoid forking out for a graphics card and I'm wanting to keep to the small inwin case. 

Thank you for your time. 

3 minutes ago, joyUnbouded said:

Just looking to avoid forking out for a graphics card and I'm wanting to keep to the small inwin case. 

get a Ryzen 3 2200 or Ryzen 5 2400G then. and you can utilize freesync that have started to appear on some TVs

7 minutes ago, joyUnbouded said:

I know 8th gen Intel cpus are capable of 4k UHD at 60hz - so if I got a micro itx motherboard with HDMI 2.0 would I be able to stream HDR content through it? Also does anyone have any experience with active display port to HDMI adaptors and do they give the desired results.

It depends on whether or not the HDMI 2.0 output is from the DP output of the iGPU directly to HDMI 2.0 or not, since apparently Intel's iGPUs do not have native HDMI 2.0 support yet. WikiChip claims a solution you may see is DP -> HDMI 1.4 -> HDMI 2.0. Since HDMI 1.4 can't do UHD 60Hz, it won't do HDMI 2.0 UHD 60Hz. I haven't seen anything that confirms what Ryzen APUs natively support.

So it'd be better to use a DisplayPort to HDMI converter on the motherboard to get whatever you want.

2 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

It depends on whether or not the HDMI 2.0 output is from the DP output of the iGPU directly to HDMI 2.0 or not, since apparently Intel's iGPUs do not have native HDMI 2.0 support yet. WikiChip claims a solution you may see is DP -> HDMI 1.4 -> HDMI 2.0. Since HDMI 1.4 can't do UHD 60Hz, it won't do HDMI 2.0 UHD 60Hz. I haven't seen anything that confirms what Ryzen APUs natively support.

So it'd be better to use a DisplayPort to HDMI converter on the motherboard to get whatever you want.

You're a legend. Thank you. I just wanted something compact and I really don't need a graphics card as I wont be gaming. 

I just find having a pc plugged into the tv is way more reliable than a streaming device. Certainly more feature rich.