Power issues can cause input latency issues?

benjiven

So recently I had been having power issues in my house, brownouts etc.

I did a lot of research and asked a bunch of professionals including speaking directly and the consensus was that good PSU's are very good at protecting components with bulk caps etc to protect undervolting/overvolting and that a UPS wouldn't be necessary.

Nevertheless I faced huge input latency issues after a series of power issues in my house. It felt like V-sync was enabled on my cursor in applications and did every possible fix. There was no signs of hardware failure or other issues, frame rates were fine and synthetic benchmarks were OK.

I decided to upgrade CPU, MOBO and RAM and low and behold the input latency issues went away in games and applications.

The other day I had a power issue again with light flickering. The input latency has started again, feels like there is 20+ms being added to my mouse, not in control of it and fighting it's movement.

I don't understand how it could cause this issue without obvious hardware damage.

Is there some sort of circuit that fried that is taking longer for the inputs to register?

When you upgraded your hardware, did you also upgrade your peripherals?

If the same peripheral is causing issues across multiple machines, it very well just could be that.

As for the power flickering issue, you could always to some research into buying an external battery(a power bank of sorts). Typically from what I have seen for consumer models, they usually give you roughly a 10 - 20 minute window after you lose power to save your work and prevent either the loss of data and the potential damage to your system(your system specs and power yield could possibly change how long this said battery will last after you lose power).

59 minutes ago, KhakiHat said:

When you upgraded your hardware, did you also upgrade your peripherals?

If the same peripheral is causing issues across multiple machines, it very well just could be that.

As for the power flickering issue, you could always to some research into buying an external battery(a power bank of sorts). Typically from what I have seen for consumer models, they usually give you roughly a 10 - 20 minute window after you lose power to save your work and prevent either the loss of data and the potential damage to your system(your system specs and power yield could possibly change how long this said battery will last after you lose power).

No mouse and KB are the same, also GPU was so it isn't that.

Apparently a good PSU will give as much protection as a battery or UPS anyway (apart from data)

The only way I can see power issues causing a problem in the computer are all high power components power throttle. But if you're using the "Balanced" profile, the components adjust their power usage all the time and it's practically seamless.

Even if there's a drop in performance, you'd see a frame rate issue, not a latency one. The amount of power doesn't "slow" a signal down or cause things to "buffer," it either works or it doesn't.

50 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

The only way I can see power issues causing a problem in the computer are all high power components power throttle. But if you're using the "Balanced" profile, the components adjust their power usage all the time and it's practically seamless.

Even if there's a drop in performance, you'd see a frame rate issue, not a latency one. The amount of power doesn't "slow" a signal down or cause things to "buffer," it either works or it doesn't.

I haven't been getting any throttling all clock and temps are fine.

I have heard other people saying they had input lag issues with power issues. 

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/950944/pc-components/mouse-input-lag-is-killing-me/42/

For example in this thread, someone said exactly the same thing, brownouts/power problems that were solved by changing CPU etc

50 minutes ago, HXRT900 said:

Hello,

I would at least purchase some sort of UPS just to rule out power fluctuations, also you could damage your hardware there is a slight chance still. Heres a recent link to what you require, then you can at least work from there.

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-uninterruptible-power-supplies-ups-for-pc/

I mean this would have to be for a whole new build, I'm chucking this one as it's damaged like the last.

But for sure the next build I will be getting a UPS

> I mean this would have to be for a whole new build, I'm chucking this one as it's damaged like the last.

I woulden't declare it to be damaged until you know exactly what happened. The fix could be simple.

Did you try any of the solutions in that thread you linked?

-ground issues with your house wiring,

-USB setting inn bios set to full initialisation

-checked all your internet and usb devices/hubs for proper grounding and power distribution.

EDIT: also what hardware do you have? is it wireless mouse, what PSU/mobo/CPU is your ram still good or did you replace it?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.