I'm impatient as fuck

NunoLava1998

I have a package from NewEgg shipping from the US, and it's using FedEx to ship. I live in Portugal.

It's gone through California, Indianapolis, Memphis and now it's in Charles de Gaulle (Paris). How much time should it stay there? In Memphis typically it takes 6h from what I've heard (and for me it took just over 6h), while in smaller locations like Indianapolis it can be 12-18 hours. How much time should it stay there? I'm buying a very overpriced M.2 SSD and it's in a 35x25x5cm box.

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

You mention it being "overpriced", but was cheaper to buy it on US newegg, than to buy it locally?

And wouldn't you have to pay VAT when it gets to you anyway?

But yes, you are impatient. When ordering internationally, you should always have the patience of a God and willing to wait up to 2 months. (Usually less than 3 weeks though, even less depending on who is the carrier)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

2 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

You mention it being "overpriced", but was cheaper to buy it on US newegg, than to buy it locally?

But yes, you are impatient. When ordering internationally, you should always have the patience of a God and willing to wait up to 2 months. (Usually less than 3 weeks though, even less depending on who is the carrier)

I do know; on local it was much more expensive than the entire item with shipping and VAT+GST costs bought from NewEgg. VAT is already included in the order.

I'm buying from FedEx and chose priority shipping. It's supposed to arrive on the 15th, although it could be friday too

About the overpriced part, price per gigabyte it's 5.9x more expensive than the 970 PRO (thank u Intel very good ! !), although it has around 5x the endurance and 4K speeds

10 hours ago, TetraSky said:

It took 7-8 hours btw

11 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

gigabyte... is it that new pcie ssd?

No, it's the Intel Optane 800P.

It's hilariously overpriced for most situations/workloads

10 hours ago, NunoLava1998 said:

although it has around 5x the endurance and 4K speeds

5x the endurance is an irrelevant number for consumers, and most likely incorrect too.

Irrelevant because most people tend to write less than 10GB/day to their drives.  At that rate modern SSDs will outlive their owners. 

Incorrect because Intel drives tend to pull the trigger on themselves once Intel's own monitoring software decides that it doesn't trust the NAND anymore.  Samsung just keeps error correcting and moving data around to avoid bad blocks.

In 2015 Techreport did an endurance test on several SSDs.  The 250GB Intel 355 bricked itself after 700TB, the 250GB 840PRO in the same experiment lasted 2.4 PETAbytes.

So the only advantage would be the 4K speeds.  But as I said the endurance is irrelevant, so you couldn't have gone wrong with either drive. 

Anyway, as for waiting : Seeing as the package comes from outside the EU, I wouldn't be surprised if it will be stuck in Customs for a couple of days once it enters Portugal (Customs checks typically happen when a package enters the country of destination).

1 minute ago, Captain Chaos said:

5x the endurance is an irrelevant number for consumers, and most likely incorrect too.

Irrelevant because most people tend to write less than 10GB/day to their drives.  At that rate modern SSDs will outlive their owners. 

Incorrect because Intel drives tend to pull the trigger on themselves once Intel's own monitoring software decides that it doesn't trust the NAND anymore.  Samsung just keeps error correcting and moving data around to avoid bad blocks.

In 2015 Techreport did an endurance test on several SSDs.  The 250GB Intel 355 bricked itself after 700TB, the 250GB 840PRO in the same experiment lasted 2.4 PETAbytes.

So the only advantage would be the 4K speeds.  But as I said the endurance is irrelevant, so you couldn't have gone wrong with either drive. 

Anyway, as for waiting : Seeing as the package comes from outside the EU, I wouldn't be surprised if it will be stuck in Customs for a couple of days once it enters Portugal (Customs checks typically happen when a package enters the country of destination).

Last time I ordered from the US (from amazon.com), I only had to wait about 6 hours for customs as I already had provided my NIF (tax number??? idk tbh)

On 4/11/2019 at 8:17 AM, Captain Chaos said:

On 4/11/2019 at 8:03 AM, LukeSavenije said:

gigabyte... is it that new pcie ssd?

On 4/10/2019 at 9:35 PM, TetraSky said:

It passed through customs, arriving Monday now. Just got the customs documentation

On 4/10/2019 at 4:39 PM, NunoLava1998 said:

I do know; on local it was much more expensive than the entire item with shipping and VAT+GST costs bought from NewEgg. VAT is already included in the order.

I'm buying from FedEx and chose priority shipping. It's supposed to arrive on the 15th, although it could be friday too

Let me welcome you to the world of choices! They are something that is fast, something that is good, and something that is cheap. You can only pick two however...

In other words:

Something that is cheap and good will not happen quickly.

Something that happens quickly and is cheap most likely won't be good.

And something that is good and happens quickly most likely won't be cheap.

1 minute ago, imreloadin said:

Let me welcome you to the world of choices! They are something that is fast, something that is good, and something that is cheap. You can only pick two however...

In other words:

Something that is cheap and good will not happen quickly.

Something that happens quickly and is cheap most likely won't be good.

And something that is good and happens quickly most likely won't be cheap.

without weekend it'll take 5 days total for the entire delivery and for international shit that's pretty good, especially when I paid only 11€ for it and it's shipping from california

1 hour ago, NunoLava1998 said:

It passed through customs, arriving Monday now. Just got the customs documentation

lol the fucking plane left before the package got back from customs

lmfaoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo