"server" suggestions

Hey guys, so recently had to RMA my am4 board. Previous experience with asus's RMA department has concerned about the length of time they'll have it. I ended up buying a used ASRock pro4 mobo to hold my system together while I wait. With that being said, I currently use a core 2 quad machine as my nvr, and nas. I'm thinking of upgrading that machine as it's old and starting to show it's age. So with that in mind and having an extra am4 board, I want to rebuild my server and perhaps add in some vertulization for pfsense and plex. My options CPU wise are as follows: upgrade my main rig to a 2600 and use the old 1600 as my server, buy a 2200g for the server, or buy a used 1700(x?) For the server.  So any advise on CPU selection would be great! Mostly just excited to be off of ddr2 ram and the slow chugging that is any type of RAT on the system. Thanks in advance for any input! 

1 hour ago, FrenchFiasco said:

Hey guys, so recently had to RMA my am4 board. Previous experience with asus's RMA department has concerned about the length of time they'll have it. I ended up buying a used ASRock pro4 mobo to hold my system together while I wait. With that being said, I currently use a core 2 quad machine as my nvr, and nas. I'm thinking of upgrading that machine as it's old and starting to show it's age. So with that in mind and having an extra am4 board, I want to rebuild my server and perhaps add in some vertulization for pfsense and plex. My options CPU wise are as follows: upgrade my main rig to a 2600 and use the old 1600 as my server, buy a 2200g for the server, or buy a used 1700(x?) For the server.  So any advise on CPU selection would be great! Mostly just excited to be off of ddr2 ram and the slow chugging that is any type of RAT on the system. Thanks in advance for any input! 

Yeah, the 2200g would be perfect for your nas/server. You shouldn't be needing much CPU power. Also the 2200g has an integrated GPU while the other Ryzen sku's do not. 

I'm not sure if Raven Ridge supports ECC RAM (generally need an X series chipset for that anyway iirc).   Last I heard it was coming sometime down the road but I have little faith with the AMD BIOSs and MB vendor combo.  If you don't care about ECC, then don't worry. 

Assuming it's just a NAS, a 2200g would work well. 4 C/T isn't that much but for 1Gbe NAS work that's more than enough.   If you want a more powerful CPU for your desktop and have a spare GPU laying around, that would work fine too.  Really depends on what you want to do.  Any Ryzen system will work for a 1Gbe NAS though. 

"Anger, which, far sweeter than trickling drops of honey, rises in the bosom of a man like smoke."

Was also looking at potentially doing some vertulization for a pfsense router, idk if that'll change your opinion.