CCP games and Hadean tech demo the aether engine at GDC

https://www.eveonline.com/article/popydg/eve-aether-wars-round-one

On Wednesday, Hadean technologies with the help of CCP games demoed the Aether engine at GDC.

The aether engine has the capability to dynamically spread the compute load for online MMO game servers over multiple compute servers in the cloud as more players come online.

The live demo took 3,852 live human players and added 14,274 AI clients to push the aether tech to its limits

Over an hour-long playtest, we saw:

• 3,852 human pilots engage in glorious internet spaceship combat.
  • A total of 14,274 pilots engaged in combat including AI pilots.
  • A peak concurrent battlefield population of 10,412 pilots, including AI pilots.
  • A peak concurrent population of 2,379 human pilots on the field.
  • A total of 88,988 ships destroyed (I’m so proud of you guys!)
  • A colossal 14,710,908 torpedoes fired. ALMOST FIFTEEN MILLION.

More reading on the even and the engine as a whole can be found on Hadean Tech's blog

PCGamesn article

mmorpg article

CCP games' official post

Edited by Scorcher646
added additional readings

It was a stress test of their engine. It was bloody awfulll though. Desync was so bad that I stop playing after 5 mins.

CPU: Ryzen 2700x Cooler: NZXT x52 Kraken Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair Vii RAM: Team Darkgroup 3600 16GB DDR4 GPU: Palit GTX 1080 Gamerock SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 256 GB, 500gb 870 Evo, 250gb 970 Evo m.2 HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracude Case: Meshify C PSU: Corsair AX860i OS: Windows 10 Pro

Laptop: MSI GS70 2QE

I've found that it's fun to talk about Eve Online stories but not really fun to play anymore. Honestly surprised that CCP is working on other projects, even if that project was full of desyncs.

27 minutes ago, Razzy_85 said:

It was a stress test of their engine. It was bloody awfulll though. Desync was so bad that I stop playing after 5 mins.

I noticed that issue early on while people were still logging in, it seemed to calm down after the servers settled in and were just remapping to account for more sprites and elements in space and less on allowing more people to log in. Nearing the end of the demo it smoothed out and got more bearable