Specs for a home server

I've currently got an X3450 with 16GB of DDR3 which is working okay but I'm using a ProLiant ML110 G6 motherboard and it's annoying as it uses propriety connections for everything like front IO so I have no power button. Possibly looking to upgrade it all and wondered what you would suggest?

I use it for Plex across my home and when I'm away from home streaming mostly 1080p/720p. A few game servers like ARK and Minecraft and as my file storage.

I don't want to spend loads maybe around £150-200 as I already have the case and PSU.

Do you need a faster cpu or more ram? What is the usage like on the current system?

Id hunt around for a single or dual lga 2011 or 1366 board on ebay.

4 hours ago, ProfessorShroom said:

I've currently got an X3450 with 16GB of DDR3 which is working okay but I'm using a ProLiant ML110 G6 motherboard and it's annoying as it uses propriety connections for everything like front IO so I have no power button. Possibly looking to upgrade it all and wondered what you would suggest?

I use it for Plex across my home and when I'm away from home streaming mostly 1080p/720p. A few game servers like ARK and Minecraft and as my file storage.

I don't want to spend loads maybe around £150-200 as I already have the case and PSU.

if you dont want spec much money i suggest looking in x79 platform you can buy cheap motherboards and cpu . and reused ddr3 ram . 

I'd say the CPU is the issue not the RAM. I've looked at the X79 boards but it's quite expensive for what you're getting

You can get an Opteron 6300 series for pretty cheap and a single socket MB for not that much, and depending on the RAM you can reuse it.

"Anger, which, far sweeter than trickling drops of honey, rises in the bosom of a man like smoke."