Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ProfessorShroom

Specs for a home server

Posted · Original PosterOP

I've currently got an X3450 with 16GB of DDR3 which is working okay but I'm using a ProLiant ML110 G6 motherboard and it's annoying as it uses propriety connections for everything like front IO so I have no power button. Possibly looking to upgrade it all and wondered what you would suggest?

I use it for Plex across my home and when I'm away from home streaming mostly 1080p/720p. A few game servers like ARK and Minecraft and as my file storage.

I don't want to spend loads maybe around £150-200 as I already have the case and PSU.

4 hours ago, ProfessorShroom said:

I've currently got an X3450 with 16GB of DDR3 which is working okay but I'm using a ProLiant ML110 G6 motherboard and it's annoying as it uses propriety connections for everything like front IO so I have no power button. Possibly looking to upgrade it all and wondered what you would suggest?

I use it for Plex across my home and when I'm away from home streaming mostly 1080p/720p. A few game servers like ARK and Minecraft and as my file storage.

I don't want to spend loads maybe around £150-200 as I already have the case and PSU.

if you dont want spec much money i suggest looking in x79 platform you can buy cheap motherboards and cpu . and reused ddr3 ram . 

You can get an Opteron 6300 series for pretty cheap and a single socket MB for not that much, and depending on the RAM you can reuse it.

"Anger, which, far sweeter than trickling drops of honey, rises in the bosom of a man like smoke."