Gpu Usage Maxes Out On An Minecraft Modpack

Vod
Go to solution Solved by Vod,

I downloaded another launcher and ran the same modpack and now it's running smoothly with the gpu usage at around 40 percent

Hello!

So I built a new pc a month ago, and I downloaded a few modpacks (sevtech ages, all the mods3) using twitch.

On my old pc the same modpacks I tried to run ran fine with ~60 fps.

And back then I had a really ban pc (ahtlon x4 845, 6gb ddr3, gtx 750ti) but now with my new pc (rx 580 4gb, ryzen 5 2400g, 8gb ddr4 3200mhz) the modpacks would run ~5 fps at the lowest in game settings I could do.

I looked in task manager while I ran one of the modpacks and the gpu was maxing out at 99% while the cpu was at 30% and memory at 70%.

I thought it was a bug in the drivers or some kind of compatibility issues.

I'm gonna go try download modpacks on another modpack downaloader and see if the issue resolves.

Thanks!

1 minute ago, NunoLava1998 said:

Are you using the iGPU?

ofc not

3 minutes ago, Vod said:

Hello!

So I built a new pc a month ago, and I downloaded a few modpacks (sevtech ages, all the mods3) using twitch.

On my old pc the same modpacks I tried to run ran fine with ~60 fps.

And back then I had a really ban pc (ahtlon x4 845, 6gb ddr3, gtx 750ti) but now with my new pc (rx 580 4gb, ryzen 5 2400g, 8gb ddr4 3200mhz) the modpacks would run ~5 fps at the lowest in game settings I could do.

I looked in task manager while I ran one of the modpacks and the gpu was maxing out at 99% while the cpu was at 30% and memory at 70%.

I thought it was a bug in the drivers or some kind of compatibility issues.

I'm gonna go try download modpacks on another modpack downaloader and see if the issue resolves.

Thanks!

mods on minecraft are pretty notorious for being badly optimised, but it's weird that your gpu is being taxed, usually it's the ram or cpu. can you follow these steps to monitor hardware usage in game? maybe task manager is reading hardware usage wrongly

1 minute ago, _d0nut said:

mods on minecraft are pretty notorious for being badly optimised, but it's weird that your gpu is being taxed, usually it's the ram or cpu. can you follow these steps to monitor hardware usage in game? maybe task manager is reading hardware usage wrongly

i already have msi afterburner, I'll try that now, but I don't know if I have to close the game for the gpu, cpu  usage and other to show up, if I do have to close the game it will take a couple of minutes

Just now, Vod said:

i already have msi afterburner, I'll try that now, but I don't know if I have to close the game for the gpu, cpu  usage and other to show up, if I do have to close the game it will take a couple of minutes

sometimes i have to restart the game and sometimes i dont have to, pretty weird

2 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

sometimes i have to restart the game and sometimes i dont have to, pretty weird

Screenshot_11.png.26de2d8465ea6733379622c69efdb39c.png

Edit:
Ram usage was a bit higher because I had chrome and and other programes opened 

1 minute ago, Vod said:

is the fps fine compared to previously? what modpack are you running?

Just now, _d0nut said:

is the fps fine compared to previously? what modpack are you running?

Before I would the modpack would run at 40-70 fps, the modpack is called SevTech ages

3 minutes ago, Vod said:

Before I would the modpack would run at 40-70 fps, the modpack is called SevTech ages

Well considering the modpack is huge, i think 100% gpu usage isn't really out of the question. I remember running a few heavy-ish modpacks with my 1070 and was getting 70-80% load consistently. 

3 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

Well considering the modpack is huge, i think 100% gpu usage isn't really out of the question. I remember running a few heavy-ish modpacks with my 1070 and was getting 70-80% load consistently. 

I don't think that's the problem, because on my older pc, witch had an gtx 750ti, the modpack used around 70% of the gpu

1 minute ago, Vod said:

I don't think that's the problem, because on my older pc, witch had an gtx 750ti, the modpack used around 70% of the gpu

It might have been because your athlon x4 845 was bottlenecking the system. according to hypixel, minecraft only uses 1-2 cores(depending on what mods etc). and an athlon x4 845 has really really bad single core performance, so it would have bottlenecked a 750ti. 

18 minutes ago, Vod said:

Edit:
Ram usage was a bit higher because I had chrome and and other programes opened 

Have you tried giving MC more ram? On heavy mod packs i had really bad fps, if i didn't give minecraft 2-4gb of ram, and on your screenshot it seems to use the default 1gb of it.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

Just now, Origami Cactus said:

Have you tried giving MC more ram? On heavy mod packs i had really bad fps, if i didn't give minecraft 2-4gb of ram, and on your screenshot it seems to use the default 1gb of it.

Thats vram, and I alocated around 5gb of ram to it

I downloaded another launcher and ran the same modpack and now it's running smoothly with the gpu usage at around 40 percent

29 minutes ago, Vod said:

just curious, which launcher was it that you were using and what launcher are you using now?

1 hour ago, Vod said:

Do you think it's possible that your previous launcher had something like a crypto miner built-in, which used up the GPU?
Which launcher were you using and what are you using now?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

On 3/16/2019 at 1:57 PM, _d0nut said:

just curious, which launcher was it that you were using and what launcher are you using now?

On 3/16/2019 at 2:42 PM, TetraSky said:

Do you think it's possible that your previous launcher had something like a crypto miner built-in, which used up the GPU?
Which launcher were you using and what are you using now?

I used twitch, in the mods section, so it wasn't a crypto mining thing, I switched to ATlauncher. Sorry for such a late reply