Dedicated camera... on a $550 budget.

So, I want to get into photography and videography, but... All I have is a phone.  A really old, really cheap phone that has a camera worse than the webcam built into my equally old laptop.  (Yeah.  Eugh.)  But despite the age of my phone (and/or laptop), I'm pretty happy with it and while I'm considering buying a new camera, a new phone isn't really worth the money for what I use mine for as it is.

I'm definitely looking into a dedicated camera.  I don't know all that much about them as I've only really been researching this for a week.  I know the main difference between the sensor types... full-frame, APS-C, and micro four thirds.  I know how that translates to the picture in the end.  Crop rates, etc.  I get that.  Seems simple enough in the end, though probably takes some getting used to in practice rather than just staring at the details on paper.

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of money, and due to my life situation in general, likely never will.  So my current budget is only $550, give or take a tiny bit.  And in that budget, I'm looking for at least five things.

1. At least 1080p 60fps video.  (4k not necessary, but if something fits my budget and it's a decent bang for the buck, then sure.)
  2. Mic input.
  3. HDMI output (while recording, since I'll likely use it as a fancy webcam as well, because why not. [and because mine sucks])
  4. Decent autofocus (vlogging purposes - doesn't need to be great, just don't want constant focus hunting in my videos.)
  5. A fully articulating screen (or maybe just a flip screen) so I can easily record myself)

And that's pretty much it.  I know it's a big list and a small budget, but I know for a fact there are some cameras that fit.

So clearly I have no brand loyalties or anything coming into this since it's something that's very much new to me in general.  So I'd appreciate any and all recommendations, especially if they're backed by experience.  And do go easy on me, as I'm like... super new when it comes to all of this.  So I may have some followup questions to said recommendations.  Either way, it's definitely something I've been interested in for a while now.  So hopefully someone out there can help me out.

I was looking at buying a Sony a6000 Digital E-Mount (ILCE-6000) although for you not having a screen that rotates for selfie mode might be an issue. But as an owner of a Sony HDR-AS15, I often used the PlayMemories mobile phone app for framing the placement of the sports camera on the motorbike before starting to record and was wondering how well this would work with the a6000 using WiFi. 

I do like the Sony a6000 because it is mirrorless and there is a Sony 35mm full-frame A-Mount adaptor for my old 35mm Minolta manual lenses too!

Link:

PlayMemories Camera App

Sony A6000 - Simple Hack for Selfies and Vlogging

Edited by SydneySideSteveSomewheres
Found a hack video to include, they're always entertaining! lol

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

Neither of the cameras mentioned above will cut it. I would look for a used Canon 800d or 200d, or a used Canon m50 if you can find one. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

Ok so I can see 3 really great options for you: 

1) So personally I shoot on a Sony a6500 so I am a little bias in the favor of sony cameras, but I can still see some phenomenal cameras from other companies. HOWEVER I do want to start out by recommending the Sony a6000 (This is the official link however there are other option that are more within your budget), now the great thing is that this camera does shoot 1080p 60fps and these cameras do that very well. And another great thing is that the lenses for the sony a6000 are also compatible with their higher end APS-C oriented cameras such as the Sony a6500 and the new Sony a6400 

2) Now you mentioned that you were essentially starting out, meaning that I'm sure that you don't have much in the senses of camera equipment, so obviously in your scenario you are looking best bang for the buck. And I can vouch for this next kit as well considering its the kid I got my girlfriend when she wanted to get into photography as well, and thats the Canon T6 EOS Rebel  starter kit at $500. Now I want to start out and say that unfortunately the T6 only supports up to 1080p 30fps but does shoot 60fps in 720p. HOWEVER this kit gives you basically everything you need to start out in photography/videography, and trust me coming from a Sony camera owner, the color science on Canon cameras are SPECTACULAR. The only downfall I'll share with you that I have experienced with this camera, and that is that it is not a strong low light performer, anything above ISO 3200 is passable but not great looking. 

3) Now looking for this camera I actually found another "starter pack" but the Nikon D5300 pack coming in at a solid $500 This camera shoots 1080p 60fps, and I have used this camera in the past and its a great performer, however its been a while since I've used it do I do not remember my experience well enough to personally vouch for it. But all the online reviews for it give it a great rating, but just be careful when shooting at high ISO's 

21 hours ago, wisex said:

Ok so I can see 3 really great options for you: 

-SNIP-

3) Now looking for this camera I actually found another "starter pack" but the Nikon D5300 pack coming in at a solid $500 This camera shoots 1080p 60fps, and I have used this camera in the past and its a great performer, however, its been a while since I've used it do I do not remember my experience well enough to personally vouch for it. But all the online reviews for it give it a great rating, but just be careful when shooting at high ISO's 

That was a very good insight into the performance and your use case scenarios, I enjoyed reading it thanks.

@cc143

When I was looking at the Sony equipment now available I was also looking at other types of cameras which I did not really delve into as they did not meet many of your options. However, it is still a viable option because it is cheap, that was the Sony action camera that I have the Sony HDR-AS15, combined with the LCD screen for Sony Action Cam which has the ability to rotate into a selfie mode. Problem is that they both are no longer available through SONY though, so obviously that means purchases will most likely be on the used market. A couple of pro's for this camera is the ability to edit footage on mobile phones, it is a camera to grab and shot and you do not have to worry about damaging it's quite robust, it stows in a pocket so it is easy to carry and you would now have an action camera should a need arise for one. One major drawback is the microphone input gets blocked by the LCD screen so you are stuck using the front built-in mic. With the workaround being to record a separate audio track on your phone and then edit in the track in post-production and I am not sure you could do that on a phone?

The LCD screen only fits some of the model range and I can confirm it fits my HDR-AS15, here are some others it may fit and their unit cost is likely to be ascending HDR-AS10, HDR-AS20, HDR-AS30V, HDR-AS100V and maybe the HDR-AS200V too.

Links

An unverified seller of a NEW Sony AKALU1 LCD Unit - 99 $ AU

An unverified seller of a NEW HDR-AS100VR (position of the bottom ports looks compatible) - 449 $ AU

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

On 3/15/2019 at 3:46 AM, SydneySideSteveSomewheres said:

I was looking at buying a Sony a6000 Digital E-Mount (ILCE-6000) although for you not having a screen that rotates for selfie mode might be an issue.

On 3/15/2019 at 10:50 PM, wisex said:

HOWEVER I do want to start out by recommending the Sony a6000 

I would be hesistant to recommend the a6000. It sounds like you're looking for a vlogging camera, and, while Sony does have some options that you might be able to use for that purpose, the a6000 is NOTORIOUS for its terrible battery life.

You'd be spending a good chunk of that $550 on just keeping the camera running. 

I'd see if you can find a used GH4.

Two cameras I'll recommend. The Canon SL2 and the Canon M50. I believe they fall within your price range and requirements.

The Canon M50 is particularly powerful and fun to use. It's also extremely portable. The one downside with is a lack of lenses. It does however shoot (cropped) 4K video which looks very nice if captured properly.

The Canon M50 is the perfect camera for vlogging. Good battery life, and it's easy to get third party spare batteries cheap. It has a flip out screen which are good for setting up shots of yourself and you can transfer all the videos and photos using bluetooth or over wifi.

Good luck in your search!

I remembered that Jerry Berg, AKA Barnacules Nerdgasm made a video on his use of the Sony Handycam which if you do not want or need to own a SportsCam then could be of interest to you too. Obviously, the more expensive AX33 is outside your price range, however, you might find a second-hand, tested Handycam in a pawn shop or used camera shop?

• AX33 4K Handycam with Exmor R CMOS sensor FDR-AX33 899.50 $ AU (636.12 $ US).
  • CX625 Handycam with Exmor R CMOS sensor HDR-CX625 699.95 $ AU (495.00 $ US).
  • PJ410 Handycam with Built-in Projector HDR-PJ410 469.00 $ AU (331.67 $ US).
  • CX405 Handycam with Exmor R CMOS sensor HDR-CX405 369.00 $ AU (260.95 $ US).

Link

Barnacules Nerdgasm

hope this helps