Can anyone recommend a password manager?

I'm looking for a simple and reliable password manager (preferably free). I think I'd prefer a non-cloud solution (but open to other suggestions).

Can anyone recommend one?

2 minutes ago, DDebbil said:

I'm looking for a simple and reliable password manager (preferably free). I think I'd prefer a non-cloud solution (but open to other suggestions).

Can anyone recommend one?

probably last pass or whatever one uses your phone as a key or something.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

5 minutes ago, DDebbil said:

LastPass is on the cloud, right?

yes, I quess it could be run offline

i would not trust any of the applications home or clouded for that! I would not trust even my eyes for passwords! create either a notepad txt or a excel or an exotic access db to keep them in! this...is confidential!

Wouldn't a notepad txt or excel be less secure than a password manager?

People seem to recommend KeePass as a local solution. I don't have any experiences with it myself, however.

🙂

13 hours ago, DDebbil said:

Wouldn't a notepad txt or excel be less secure than a password manager?

Yes.  If you are going to store your passwords in a standard document, at least encrypt that file.  Even doing that, there are additional safety and convenience features in a password manager that you're missing out on.  BTW, you know the password manager built into your web browser?  Yeah, that's also worthless, don't use it either.

I have been using KeePass for a little while, and so far I recommend it.  It doesn't transmit anything to the cloud, all your data is stored in an encrypted database on your local system.  You can keep it on your hard drive, put it on a USB stick, I've even seen people upload it to Google Drive or whatever, but to me that defeats the point a bit.  It has some nice features like a Murphy resistant copy-paste function that lets you copy the password to the clipboard with one button press, and then you can paste it into a login screen.  Then, after a short time (defaults to 10 seconds, you can change this) it clears the clipboard so you don't risk pasting a password where it doesn't belong. There's also an autokey feature but I haven't figured out how to use it yet.

I recommend you install it and play with it a bit, make a test database with some fake passwords in it to try it out.  Do some research and don't just take the word of an internet jerk with an angry cartoon wallaby for a face, ask someone trustworthy.

I agree with LastPass... I heard it for YEEAAARRSS on LTT videos until I finally decided to try it.

I'm never going back. :) 

KeePass is the go to non cloud password manager solution.