My First Build and I Need Help

This is my first attempt to build a PC. Building the PC wasn't too difficult but now that its up an running, I am having some issues. Prior to installing my GPU, I installed windows and was able to watch some youtube videos. I didn't play around anymore with it than that. Now I have installed my GPU, everything seems to work fine still until I boot a game. I'm using XCOM2 for testing. 

After launching the game, it functions for a minute or two before I get a black screen and the monitor stops receiving input. The monitor doesn't receive input again until I manually reboot the system. 

Here is a link to my current build: PC Part Picker

Anyone have suggestions on how to troubleshoot? I appreciate any help. 

when you get the black screen is there still sound/ is the pc still functioning?

do you have any other monitors you can add or swap, as well as other cables?

make sure your cpus integrated gpu is turned off as it could cause issues, it should say which one its using in the adrenalin software

also try reseating your gpu, ensure that your display cables are plugged into the gpu, and reinstall the drivers (try using DDU https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html)

CPU: i5-4690k @ 4.4 GHz | RAM: 12GB DDR3 1333MHz | GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 580 4GB 

11 minutes ago, Austin.Be.Nerdy said:

This is my first attempt to build a PC. Building the PC wasn't too difficult but now that its up an running, I am having some issues. Prior to installing my GPU, I installed windows and was able to watch some youtube videos. I didn't play around anymore with it than that. Now I have installed my GPU, everything seems to work fine still until I boot a game. I'm using XCOM2 for testing. 

After launching the game, it functions for a minute or two before I get a black screen and the monitor stops receiving input. The monitor doesn't receive input again until I manually reboot the system. 

Here is a link to my current build: PC Part Picker

Anyone have suggestions on how to troubleshoot? I appreciate any help. 

You can just link the pcpartpicker build directly, it’ll show up as a build without having to click the link.

Try playing around while not using the GPU as a video output? As in use the integrated GPU in the CPU by plugging the monitor cable into the motherboard instead of the GPU. If it works fine then your GPU may be faulty

21 hours ago, DakotaWebber said:

when you get the black screen is there still sound/ is the pc still functioning?

do you have any other monitors you can add or swap, as well as other cables?

make sure your cpus integrated gpu is turned off as it could cause issues, it should say which one its using in the adrenalin software

also try reseating your gpu, ensure that your display cables are plugged into the gpu, and reinstall the drivers (try using DDU https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html)

The sound and PC are still working breifly. After about 90 seconds the whole system reboots. Different monitors and different cables, the problem still persists.  Adrenalin recognizes the GPU and it seems like everything is fine. 

21 hours ago, _d0nut said:

You can just link the pcpartpicker build directly, it’ll show up as a build without having to click the link.

Try playing around while not using the GPU as a video output? As in use the integrated GPU in the CPU by plugging the monitor cable into the motherboard instead of the GPU. If it works fine then your GPU may be faulty

With the GPU installed, the motherboard output doesn't work, even with integrated GPU reenabled in bios. 

20 hours ago, TrigrH said:

have you plugged the monitor into the graphics card?

You have no idea how badly I wish I had forgotten to plug it in. 

sounds like either the gpu is crashing from whatever sort  of issue, driver, hardware, power delivery etc, or it could be a psu fault, 520 should probably be enough but maybe try one with a higher wattage if you can and test it

best you can do is try to get someone else who has parts and test different things

CPU: i5-4690k @ 4.4 GHz | RAM: 12GB DDR3 1333MHz | GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 580 4GB