How safe is it to store my computers in un-aircon outdoor storage unit

arcade_portal32

Just a question for the community, is it safe to store my computers in an outdoor Un-Airconned Storage Unit/Garage where temps outside recently have been touching negatives in recent days.

One of them especially is has an Corsair H100i GTX AIO Water Cooler, which im more afraid of then anything.

Second one is a working almost 20 Year Old, Dell L1000R I use for Old School games & Retroware, The other is a "RetroMod" PC a 1999 FuturePower PC "My First PC" that basically had a new engine installed, ASUS Pro Gaming z170 MB, Kingwin IO Board, working case LED's, 3TB HDD, Intel i3 (room for upgrade), and fully working 1.44 Floppy Drive running Windows 10.

Wondering if there is any safe way of storing my PCs without risking them getting ruined in the unit by the extreme cold. Otherwise i'll try to find a diff way to store them.

I'm worried about exactly that, just trying to figure out where to put them other then in a storage unit. Or find one with AC

Moisture is your biggest issue, so basically, avoid doing it if possible, but if you really have to, then pack the devices into a box that can be sealed tight against water ingress with adequate silica gel dessicant packs, (not the tiny ones, We`re talking at least the 1lb packs, look on amazon). These are used in many street cabinet installations of electronic equipment, & strictly speaking, have to be changed every time the cabinets are opened. (I used to carry stacks of them around as a comms engineer back in the day.. though the ones I remember weren`t silica, but something that looked very like kitty litter ?).

8 hours ago, demotricus said:

Moisture is your biggest issue, so basically, avoid doing it if possible, but if you really have to, then pack the devices into a box that can be sealed tight against water ingress with adequate silica gel dessicant packs, (not the tiny ones, We`re talking at least the 1lb packs, look on amazon). These are used in many street cabinet installations of electronic equipment, & strictly speaking, have to be changed every time the cabinets are opened. (I used to carry stacks of them around as a comms engineer back in the day.. though the ones I remember weren`t silica, but something that looked very like kitty litter ?).

eh taking it too far but yes if you want to be safe, do what this guy says.

I guess my explanation was a little long winded.?

What I`m saying practically, is to seal the dessicant packs into a closed space with the PC`s. Just a couple of bin-bags taped shut should suffice, with the packs inside with the PC`s. The packs are there to soak up any condensation that forms in cold weather etc. The packs shouldn`t be too expensive & are just insurance really.

(& Not saying you need to change them every time you go in either, just that its what we used to have to do by regulation).

?

Should have a place indoors to store them, so I should be good but thanks guys for the tips just in case

On 2/23/2019 at 6:05 AM, demotricus said:

Moisture is your biggest issue

Moisture alone isn't going to hurt anything.

Now if you brought it inside while it was moist, and turned it, then you're more likely to have some kind of problem.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

On 2/24/2019 at 10:34 PM, Crunchy Dragon said:

Moisture alone isn't going to hurt anything.

Moisture on any bare iron will cause rust, it`ll also accelerate Verdigris, (oxidisation), on any exposed copper. (Granted it can take a while to form, but better safe than sorry). Moisture and electronics don`t go together well.