RTX 2060 XC gaming coil whine

RobinHtk

Hi there, I just got my hands on a EVGA RTX 2060 XC gaming and it works pretty well, except that mine goes up to 76°C (i even hit 80°C in some games..) and I am experiencing COIL WHINE. It is making me crazy even if I only had it for 2 days.

My post here is to ask if anyone has the same problem on this video card. Because if it's not often that it happens I should definitely RMA it.

I usually hate to double post, but meh. 

I am in touch with EVGA technical support, and they said that putting the card to burn tests might attenuate or supress the coil whine. In addition, they said that my PSU might be the cause of that GPU coil whine.

My config is :  

CPU : Ryzen 5 2600X

CPU COOLER : Arctic Freezer 33 (60°C on load, 64°C max temp ever)

GPU : EVGA RTX 2060 XC gaming (switching from a PALIT StormX GTX 1060 6Gb, that ran with the same system with no problem for 6 months)

RAM : G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-38 @1.35v

PSU : Cooler Master MasterWatt 650 (No coil whine on psu nor gpu while using the 1060)

CASE : Phanteks Eclipse P300 Tempered Glass

CASE FANS : 3 be quiet! Pure Wings 2 PWM - 1 outtake and 2 intake

Should i buy another PSU just to see if there is an issue of inconstancy in the power delivering? That would be strange since i had no problem with my 1060 that was OC to the roof (+200Mhz core/+650Mhz memory).

In addition, the coil whine is really less loud in benchmark, I'd even say that it is totally acceptable. But in games it is really audible and pissing me off ?.

Spoiler

2099753857_customfancurve.jpg.76cd96dddfd9dc9a572bff7559f65ebd.jpg

This is the fan curve I HAD to set if I didn't want that card to go passed 80°C. And the next spoiler is Hardware monitor curve after some Heaven loops 1080p extreme.

Spoiler

1379491754_Heavenbench2.thumb.jpg.3c5d6134f389dedca2deb272956b6172.jpg

So is there anything that should not look the way it looks? Thanks in advance.

Just to chime in here, i have an RTX2060 FE and when i got it it had really annoying coil whine, but its died down a lot since i got it. I also feel like overclocking it and running it a different frequency helped a bit as well. 

Anyway, just saying as you use the thing it might get better, mine certainly did. 

I saw that happen too, but more with temperature, when it goes passed 70°C it gets better. I overclocked it right away and had acceptable thermals but since then i reverted it to stock and started to have thermal issues xD I don't know if it is often like that when jumping from an older gpu architecture to a new one, but it is quite troubling.

Is that the single fan model? I’ve got a strix 2060 and haven’t noticed any coil whine so far in the 3 weeks I’ve had it 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

Yes the XC gaming is the single fan one, the XC ultra is the 2 fan version :). As @Lexicalje said, it can happen when the gpu is new.

But since it is always linked to the conductors used by the manufacturer, the Strix cards most certainly have different ones on it's pcb. But even then, they always vibrate, it is juste that the frequency of that vibration is most often too high to be heard by human ear.

I am just unlucky to have a card that experiences coil whine. Hopefully, temperature and heavy loads seems to have started to stabilize the coils, it seems that in the end it might disappear or at least reduce enough to be acceptable. Let's hope what happens to Lexicalje happens to me :D