Easy Way to Manage Travel Ethernet Cable

Shads

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone on here has any experience with transporting long Ethernet cables that constantly need to be used? My friends and I have to Discord in some of our D&D members, so I usually run a 100ft Cat6 flat cable to the router of whoever's house we meet at that day. Unfortunately, the cable tangles too much even when I pack it with care.

Anyone know of a way to reliably roll it up for constant use and travel? I like the idea of a retractable reel, but I can only find garden hose sized reels, and I'd rather not purchase a brand new pre-retractable cable.

Find an old CAT cable spool or failing that ask at an electrical fittings store (where electricians go shopping for their jobs) if they have an old house wiring one that you could have. They are like a cotton thread reel but for internal house wire and you would then just un-spool and re-spool as required, it should work/ fit your needs!

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

Have you attempted a braid?

There's several ways to braid a cable, ends together with the "lock" at the middle point, or at the ends, or braids that have the ends independent.

Here's a simple one:

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

14 hours ago, SydneySideSteveSomewheres said:

Find an old CAT cable spool or failing that ask at an electrical fittings store (where electricians go shopping for their jobs) if they have an old house wiring one that you could have. They are like a cotton thread reel but for internal house wire and you would then just un-spool and re-spool as required, it should work/ fit your needs!

Your lead ended up being worth it :) My roommate talked to his electrical engineering friends and one of them gave me this link: https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/ezereel-wind-up-reel?gclid=Cj0KCQiA2L7jBRCBARIsAPeAsaPyNhKoKrMDgtYZU_FWXeGZO_OGyDe7UZi9VVGGhzvYCya1sr2m4_caAg0qEALw_wcB

It looks worthwhile, and not too heavy to carry around. Thanks for the help!

8 hours ago, Shads said:

:)
-Snip-
It looks worthwhile, and not too heavy to carry around. Thanks for the help!

Glad I was able to assist, cheers @Shads

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).