Building a TV/Monitor into a table...have you done it?

Video Beagle

I've been rebuilding my living room/computer area for the past...forever...often with LTT etc running on the tv as i go, and an idea occured to me, of a gaming table with a monitor or tv built into it as the flat surface, and i wondered if anyone had done this.

I haven't really looked into it outside of idle thoughts, but like get a flat screen tv, maybe a wooden table that's slightly bigger, and a sheet of glass or plexiglass that fits the table top....rout out space for the tv into the table, run wires etc for access, put the tv in the recess, cover with the glass, and hook it up to a pc for gaming or stuff. (Like I could see it being neat for maps and things for table top RPGs...I have nowhere like the space that would be needed, but maybe it'd be fun.

Anyhow, just a 3am thought that I was curious if anyone had tried.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

seems pretty straightforward, I guess the only big issue is viewing angles and having to stand over the table with your head cranked down to game which could lead to some neck pain.

24 minutes ago, Video Beagle said:

I've been rebuilding my living room/computer area for the past...forever...often with LTT etc running on the tv as i go, and an idea occured to me, of a gaming table with a monitor or tv built into it as the flat surface, and i wondered if anyone had done this.

I haven't really looked into it outside of idle thoughts, but like get a flat screen tv, maybe a wooden table that's slightly bigger, and a sheet of glass or plexiglass that fits the table top....rout out space for the tv into the table, run wires etc for access, put the tv in the recess, cover with the glass, and hook it up to a pc for gaming or stuff. (Like I could see it being neat for maps and things for table top RPGs...I have nowhere like the space that would be needed, but maybe it'd be fun.

Anyhow, just a 3am thought that I was curious if anyone had tried.

We had something similar in one of the computer labs at school many years ago, except it was with CRTs and they were the only monitor. It was awful and the ergonomics were terrible. As a secondary screen though just displaying stuff you glance at, I suppose it could be ok.

5 minutes ago, Ertman said:

seems pretty straightforward, I guess the only big issue is viewing angles and having to stand over the table with your head cranked down to game which could lead to some neck pain.

Yeah.. I always have loved the computer desk in TRON, but it'd be a pain to look at.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

this would be similar to the arcade machines with flat screens no? 

it wouldnt be the hardest to do, but as mentioned before you would have to find a good panel with good viewing angles

CPU: i5-4690k @ 4.4 GHz | RAM: 12GB DDR3 1333MHz | GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 580 4GB 

definitly more expensive but i once thought about this with a touchscreen. iiyama makes them with some sort of saphirre glas that i thought would be ideal for a couch table. have been faszinated with the idea since this came out

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

13 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

definitly more expensive but i once thought about this with a touchscreen. iiyama makes them with some sort of saphirre glas that i thought would be ideal for a couch table. have been faszinated with the idea since this came out

Yeah.. I've had the idea before with like those giant tablets they make for kids..or even the big person sized touch screen's I saw at the mall replacing the mall map.  @IntMD is right that the ergomics would suck, but it's just so cool in my mind :)