Overheating i7 8750H

Hyper

So i have an Acer Predator Helios PH317-52-71WQ and my cpu while gaming is around 80/95 degrees celsius. I know that max working temperature is 100 degrees celsius. I worry that my laptop will die in a year or two. So i want to know which temps are safe,and what can i do to lower that temperatures ? Tnx

You could switch the thermal paste if you are comfortable with disassembling your laptop (at least partially). Something like thermal grizzly kryonaut should work well. 

7 minutes ago, Konrad_K said:

You could switch the thermal paste if you are comfortable with disassembling your laptop (at least partially). Something like thermal grizzly kryonaut should work well. 

Laptop is new i have it around two months, manufacturer date is 28.8.2018. so the paste is not that old.

1 minute ago, Hyper said:

Laptop is new i have it around two months, manufacturer date is 28.8.2018. so the paste is not that old.

But it doesn't mean that it's applied correctly, also it tends to be of very poor quality. I managed to drop 10C on idle from my laptop. 

5 minutes ago, Hyper said:

So i have an Acer Predator Helios PH317-52-71WQ and my cpu while gaming is around 80/95 degrees celsius. I know that max working temperature is 100 degrees celsius. I worry that my laptop will die in a year or two. So i want to know which temps are safe,and what can i do to lower that temperatures ? Tnx

You can try underclocking your CPU if it's possible or replacing thermal paste, but there's nothing else you can do.. these kinds of laptops are designed with performance in mind with a sleek and thin design, not longevity, blame Apple for that.

Pushing a CPU till it thermal throttles is just idiotic in my opinion, you reach 80-95C while gaming, but if you run an all core stress test it will reach 100C immediately.

Just now, Hyper said:

Replacing paste is not because it's old, but because it's a higher quality one

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

10 minutes ago, Hyper said:

Are those temps standard fr your laptop model or your case is different? If your laptop is still in warranty, I would recommend talking to Acer. Is there a fan tuning software that you use? If not, you can try speedfan and try different fan profiles. I would also recommend a cooling pad for your laptop. It helps my Lenovo a lot

CPU i7 8700k MB  Asrock Z370 Killer SLI/ac GPU EVGA GTX1060 6 GB RAM 16GB DDR4 Gskill Ripjaw 3200 Mhz PSU EVGA SuperNova 750 G1+Storage 1x1TB WD Blue + 250GB WD Blue M.2 CASE Fractal design define C

So i tried stress test all cores it's the same result as gaming, I noticed while gaming that cpu has temperature spikes for example one second is 60 degrees other second is 75 degrees.

After stress test, it is a bit lower than before .

Untitled.png

Untitled2.png

• 1 month later...

i have a msi gp63 8re leopard it had the same issue turned out my laptop airvents got choked with dust .give your laptop to the service centre ask ask them to change the paste and clean the fans .they will do it for free as the laptop is in warranty . Now i have overclocked my laptop 1060 and cpu temps only go upto 85 celcius max while gaming

• 1 month later...
On 1/24/2019 at 12:25 PM, Hyper said:

I've an overpowered 17+ with the 8750h, when I first started testing it, the CPU would reach 100° in a matter of seconds when automatic fans and stock clock speeds, so it thermal throttled, I thought it was a bad design but the most I investigated it wasn't, the real problem is: the laptop is designed to cool down a 45w chip, but the 8750h (and all 8th gen mobile chips) is not 45w, it's actually 80w (you can see it with Intel xtu) so for 56 seconds it will reach 3.9 ghz on all 6 cores, by also reaching 80watts, then it will go down to 3.7ghz and 60 watts until it gets an stable temp, but also it'll switch between 60 and 45 watts each second, that's what you see those changes on the temp (something like 80 then 70, then 80 again and then 69 and the fans getting faster for minimum amount of time) so what I did for solving it was: I underclocked the CPU to a maximum of 4ghz (1 core) 3.9 (2 and 3 cores) 3.8 ( 4 and 5 cores) and 3.7 for all 6 cores, also set the power for the CPU not being able to go any higher than 70 watts for 40 seconds then 50 watts all the time (when turbo is needed, on idle it's usually somewhere between 8 and 20 watts) so with that config and Max fans speed I was able to keep the CPU no higher than 80° when gaming or even reendering, also I found out that stress test on this chip will not actually make it as hot as it will get when reendering video or 3d stuff, hope it helps, and hope these chips don't die in a year or two

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/19/2019 at 6:52 PM, ac228 said:

I've an overpowered 17+ with the 8750h, when I first started testing it, the CPU would reach 100° in a matter of seconds when automatic fans and stock clock speeds, so it thermal throttled, I thought it was a bad design but the most I investigated it wasn't, the real problem is: the laptop is designed to cool down a 45w chip, but the 8750h (and all 8th gen mobile chips) is not 45w, it's actually 80w (you can see it with Intel xtu) so for 56 seconds it will reach 3.9 ghz on all 6 cores, by also reaching 80watts, then it will go down to 3.7ghz and 60 watts until it gets an stable temp, but also it'll switch between 60 and 45 watts each second, that's what you see those changes on the temp (something like 80 then 70, then 80 again and then 69 and the fans getting faster for minimum amount of time) so what I did for solving it was: I underclocked the CPU to a maximum of 4ghz (1 core) 3.9 (2 and 3 cores) 3.8 ( 4 and 5 cores) and 3.7 for all 6 cores, also set the power for the CPU not being able to go any higher than 70 watts for 40 seconds then 50 watts all the time (when turbo is needed, on idle it's usually somewhere between 8 and 20 watts) so with that config and Max fans speed I was able to keep the CPU no higher than 80° when gaming or even reendering, also I found out that stress test on this chip will not actually make it as hot as it will get when reendering video or 3d stuff, hope it helps, and hope these chips don't die in a year or two

I've created this account just to thank you. I've done everyting you said plus undervolting Core Voltage Offset -0,120V and it's been a couple of hours and it's rarely thermal throttled and they lasted a few seconds. I hope it'll be stable. You should make it into a thread so everyone can see it. You're a genius.

On 5/5/2019 at 3:11 PM, yashru said:

I've created this account just to thank you. I've done everyting you said plus undervolting Core Voltage Offset -0,120V and it's been a couple of hours and it's rarely thermal throttled and they lasted a few seconds. I hope it'll be stable. You should make it into a thread so everyone can see it. You're a genius.

Thanks, I've fine tuned the profile a bit more to get 3.8 on all 6 cores while rendering and still under 80°, so thermal throttling is not even close, I'll put this on a thread with more details

I had a i7 8750h and I will tell you there is no fix. The only fix is to undervolt. What i did is go in throttle stop and changed the boost to 3.8 ghz. This made me only 70c under load.

Along with the thermal paste replacement mentioned above, might I point you in the direction of undervolting. 

Here's a thread with a few people with 8750h cpus that have tried undervolting

• 2 months later...

Go to your Windows settings:

1) System settings

2) Power & Sleep management

3) Additional power settings

4) Change plan settings

5) Change advanced power settings

6) Scroll down to "Processor Power Management"

7) Click it open and go to Maximum Processor state

8) Set it to 70-80%

9) Enjoy Life and wait for Half Life 3

10) Die knowing it will never come out.....

Kudos to sc228. That boi know his stuff. He need some milk.