How to clean my PC?

Supportsneedlove

I've decided that I want to switch out my PC while it still has a little value. Looking at used parts has opened my eyes as to what a budget PC really is. And therefore I have decided to sell my prebuilt. So I want to clean it up before I put it up for sale. Which is where you come in! How do i clean it (only on the outside) I have bought some isopropyl alcohol (93%)(i think? pic attached) Do it need anything else or am I good to go? (also have a compressor) 

IMG_20190119_162355.jpg

1 minute ago, Supportsneedlove said:

pic attached

Bildresultat för that was a lie

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

ok now potato whisprer here is what you do, take out all the dust filters and vacuum them. Take off any panels and whipe them down with a microfiber cloth and some water and then on any surfaces that wont melt from alcohol you can rub them down with that. should make your PC clean pretty well

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

ok now potato whisprer here is what you do, take out all the dust filters and vacuum them. Take off any panels and whipe them down with a microfiber cloth and some water and then on any surfaces that wont melt from alcohol you can rub them down with that. should make your PC clean pretty well

I've got some tape residue on my front IO, which is plastic. Does that fall under "surfaces that wont melt from alcohol"?

1 minute ago, Supportsneedlove said:

I've got some tape residue on my front IO, which is plastic. Does that fall under "surfaces that wont melt from alcohol"?

depends on the plastic, get some of the alcohol on a pice of paper and try some on a surface that isnt visible from the outside. most likely its fine, Acetone really hates plastic though iirc

Builds:

Spoiler

Also if you have a compressor be careful with it. I do not recommend using it full power...well depending how powerful it is but the one i have home is beastly and i always press the trigger lightly ...just use caution and common sense with compressor...not full power

Specs: 

Spoiler

PC:CASE: FD Define r6 | CPU:Intel Core i7-8700k | MB: MSI z370 PC Pro RAM: 32GB Corsair vengance LPX 3000 GPU: Asus rx 6900xt Tuf STORAGE: nand 500GB Samsung 970Evo plus ; Game Storage: 2TB Samsung 860QVO Storage: 2 x WD Green 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | CPUCooler: Noctua NH-D15   DISPLAY: LG 27GL850

and one more thing before you use compressor on pc parts blow it fr like 20 to 30 seconds on a piece of paper to see if it spays any drops of water out too from condensation...if it does than do not use it on the pc parts

Specs: 

Spoiler

PC:CASE: FD Define r6 | CPU:Intel Core i7-8700k | MB: MSI z370 PC Pro RAM: 32GB Corsair vengance LPX 3000 GPU: Asus rx 6900xt Tuf STORAGE: nand 500GB Samsung 970Evo plus ; Game Storage: 2TB Samsung 860QVO Storage: 2 x WD Green 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | CPUCooler: Noctua NH-D15   DISPLAY: LG 27GL850

6 minutes ago, TristanK said:

and one more thing before you use compressor on pc parts blow it fr like 20 to 30 seconds on a piece of paper to see if it spays any drops of water out too from condensation...if it does than do not use it on the pc parts

Opening the PC would void my warranty so I wouldn't blow on the components anyway.  

how in the hell can the even know you opened it if you only open side panel and blow the dust out? does side panel have sticker on it that breaks when open? if not they have no way of knowing if it has ever been opened

Specs: 

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Supportsneedlove said:

I've decided that I want to switch out my PC while it still has a little value. Looking at used parts has opened my eyes as to what a budget PC really is. And therefore I have decided to sell my prebuilt. So I want to clean it up before I put it up for sale. Which is where you come in! How do i clean it (only on the outside) I have bought some isopropyl alcohol (93%)(i think? pic attached) Do it need anything else or am I good to go? (also have a compressor) 

IMG_20190119_162355.jpg

Rubbing alcohol is dangerous on some types of plastics. 

4 hours ago, TristanK said:

how in the hell can the even know you opened it if you only open side panel and blow the dust out? does side panel have sticker on it that breaks when open? if not they have no way of knowing if it has ever been opened

Does have one of the little stickers. 

4 hours ago, James Evens said:

IPA? don't think so more EtOH.

I'm not gonna pretend that I know what you're talking about.

Just take it out of the house and put a Vaccum hose and use a blower.

Vaccum with catch all dirt and blower will blow the rest.

Clean the non Electronic parts with a wet cloth, like case and dust filters. Don't blow air into the mesh, u might break it or make it loose

remember to be gentle. Just, imagine ur having a bath with ur GF/BF

On 1/19/2019 at 10:13 AM, The_Big_Grape said:

Rubbing alcohol is dangerous on some types of plastics. 

Yes 

On 1/20/2019 at 12:45 AM, RAGNES7 said:

Just take it out of the house and put a Vaccum hose and use a blower.

Vaccum with catch all dirt and blower will blow the rest.

Clean the non Electronic parts with a wet cloth, like case and dust filters. Don't blow air into the mesh, u might break it or make it loose

remember to be gentle. Just, imagine ur having a bath with ur GF/BF

that is a good idea!