NAS Software choice

0xDiddi

Over the past few weeks I have looked at the hardware side of building a personal nas system, but so far I have graciously ignored the software side of things.

Thus far, I have the impression that building a small server myself is quite a lot cheaper than buying a prebuilt nas system.

This makes my question twofold:

A) Given that I can vpn into my home network, what software exists for a diy solution (apart from ssh+scp) ?

B) Is the software on prebuilt nas systems any good (i.e. does the software justify the higher price) ? Because most of what manufacturers advertise sounds like stuff I'll never use.

There are a few Linux distros that focus on being used in NAS systems that might be a good option, e.g. OpenMediaVault. Alternatively you could use software like Samba or create an FTP server on the NAS.

Prebuilt NAS solutions work in basically the same way, they just tend to be a bit more user friendly with their own UI, cases built for hot-swap, etc.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Another question: does someone have experience with the nas software of different brands and how they compare to each other in terms of features and/or usability?

The first step is to identify your need then you can compare what you need with what each NAS solution offer.

If you need the ability to access file then any NAS solution would work.

As suggested by @BobVonBob, OpenMediaVault is one option, other options might be FreeNAS, Unraid or Xpenology

My dad uses OpenMediavault and he loves it. Its got plugins that work incredibly well and a web-gui that is pretty great as well. My favorite part is being able to remotely print memes to his printer from across the country. It even works as a Plex media server!

Hi @0xDiddi,

You are right about building your own hardware vs using a pre-built NAS like a Synology, Asustor, or QNAP.  You generally get more bang for your buck building your own.  I built my own back in 2011 and it is still my primary server now.

I originally ran Freenas on it but switched it up to Unraid back in 2016 and haven't looked back since.  I run Plex on top of Unraid and have a very good experience.

Best of luck in finding your NAS solution!

X2 on the unRAID go over and download it for free set it up and play with it for up to 60 days and see if its what you want then pay for the one that meets your needs it will be the cheapest part of your build but I can say that I too run Plex and several VM's it has great forum support lots of apps and docker available

My daily driver: The Wrath of Red: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen TR4 1950x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA621P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASRock x399 Taichi / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / Samsung 512GB 970 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor x3

My technology Rig: The wizard: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen R7 1800x 3.95MHz / Corsair H110i / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASUS CH 6 / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / 512GB 960 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor HP Monitor

My I don't use RigOS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen 1600x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / Samsung PM961 256GB M.2 PCIe Internal SSDEVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

My NAS: The storage miser: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / CPU Intel i7 6700 / Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 Watt 80 Plus / ASUS Maximus viii Hero / 32GB Gskill RipJaw DDR4 3200Mhz / HP Mellanox ConnectX-2 10 GbE PCI-e G2 Dual SFP+ Ported Ethernet HCA NIC / 9 Drives total 29TB - 1 4TB seagate parity - 7 4TB WD Red data - 1 1TB laptop drive data - and 2 240GB Sandisk SSD's cache / Headless

Why did I buy this server: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / Dell R710 enterprise server with dual xeon E5530 / 48GB ecc ddr3 / Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT / 4 450GB sas drives / headless

Just another server: OS Proxmox VE / Dell poweredge R410

On 1/17/2019 at 7:11 PM, beyonddc said:

The first step is to identify your need

Yeah, my main need (for now at least) is being able to access my files.

However I'd like it to work as seamless as possible. I've made the experience that (at least on windows) mounting a ftp server doesn't allow you to edit files in place, but requires you to edit them elsewhere and upload it afterwards.

My main machine is windows, so there's my priority, but I also use a macbook for university and work, so if there's something that allows such seamlessness on both platforms, that'd be great.