GPU Crash after unloading

chap6595

I have a AMD R9 290 graphics card. It works ok during games, but the minute I quit the game the whole thing freezes up and then I get a black screen, and the only way to move forward is to turn off the machine and back on again.

is the graphics card dead or am I missing something? I have updated drivers, I have stress tested using Fur ark for 20 minutes at it works fine until I quit the test.

Any Ideas?

I’m not to good with trouble shooting but is there any damage on there Card like broken fan blade bent pin. Have you checked temperatures. If the temps are high it could prevent the card from working and closing applications. 

29 minutes ago, chap6595 said:

I have a AMD R9 290 graphics card. It works ok during games, but the minute I quit the game the whole thing freezes up and then I get a black screen, and the only way to move forward is to turn off the machine and back on again.

is the graphics card dead or am I missing something? I have updated drivers, I have stress tested using Fur ark for 20 minutes at it works fine until I quit the test.

Any Ideas?

Perhaps use DDU uninstaller to do a clean wipe of the graphics card drivers, reinstall graphics drivers, and give it a shot again. Make sure to run DDU in safe mode. Here's DDU:
https://www.wagnardsoft.com/display-driver-uninstaller-ddu-

And here's a youtube video showing you how to use ddu properly:

Also, I'd check to see if there's a bios update for your graphics card. I'd update that as well if there's one available. Hope this helps!!

19 minutes ago, Jcald01 said:

I’m not to good with trouble shooting but is there any damage on there Card like broken fan blade bent pin. Have you checked temperatures. If the temps are high it could prevent the card from working and closing applications. 

Temps are mid 70's....

Is that idle or on a game

if it’s a game what game is it?

15 minutes ago, Jcald01 said:

Is that idle or on a game

if it’s a game what game is it?

When I stress Test mid 70 to High 70's...everyday word processing 40's

1 hour ago, chap6595 said:

Any Ideas?

When was the last time it was working ?  What has changed since then ? 

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

Temps are good so I would think it’s a software issue. There may be a bug with Windows. Go to settings and go to update and update everything and check all drivers are activated and they are the correct ones. That should help.

13 hours ago, chap6595 said:

When I stress Test mid 70 to High 70's...everyday word processing 40's

Have you tried what I suggested? I'm pretty confident it's not a bad idea. It may be a bios bug that's been fixed, or the drivers are acting improperly. DDU plus a bios update. Hell, I'll even look up the latest bios for ya if you give me the make and model of your gpu. I'm nice like that. ?