Reattach Plastic Barb?

I was disessembling an AIO for a sff build, and to replace the tubing with a more flexible tubing. In doing so I broke off one of the block/pumps plastic barb fittings.

is there a way to reattach this?

Glue gun + Apoxy? Super Glue + Apoxy?

If I was successfully to reattach the fitting, how confident would you be in it not leaking?

FULL CUSTOM WATER COOLED = AMD Ryzen 1700X + AsRock B450 itx/ac + 2x8GB ADATA D10 DDR4 + EVGA GTX 1070 FTW  Integra 450W SFX + Intel 660p 1TB SSD + Modded Fractal Design Node 202

I am no expert, But I don't think that I would trust it. Granted I have no experience with AIO coolers.  You may get it attached back and it may stay for a while but you would just have a ticking time bomb in your case. 

hot snot is ok for crafting but i would never trust it for anything serious and super glue does not hold up well against water. A 2 part epoxy could work but i personally wouldn't trust it. If i was in your situation and could not afford a replacement i would drill out the old fitting, tap the hole and screw in a new one.

2 minutes ago, SuperCloneRanger said:

hot snot is ok for crafting but i would never trust it for anything serious and super glue does not hold up well against water. A 2 part epoxy could work but i personally wouldn't trust it. If i was in your situation and could not afford a replacement i would drill out the old fitting, tap the hole and screw in a new one.

Ooooo. This seems interesting

FULL CUSTOM WATER COOLED = AMD Ryzen 1700X + AsRock B450 itx/ac + 2x8GB ADATA D10 DDR4 + EVGA GTX 1070 FTW  Integra 450W SFX + Intel 660p 1TB SSD + Modded Fractal Design Node 202

7 minutes ago, Marenoc said:

Ooooo. This seems interesting

pictures would help, also make/model. some of the aio's use threaded barbs to begin with. 

1 minute ago, SuperCloneRanger said:

pictures would help, also make/model. alot of the aio's use threaded barbs to begin with. 

Enermax TR Liqtech 360. First model. Not TR II. I don’t have pictures right now but it is plastic barbs, but seem to be smaller and set to the housing, not threaded. The tubing is 7 or 8mm ID and 13 OD.

5 minutes ago, Marenoc said:

seem to be smaller and set to the housing, not threaded. The tubing is 7 or 8mm ID and 13 OD.

Thats a shame, would of made things easier. If you do replace the fitting, when adding the new one i recommend a liberal application of loctite 243, it will stop the barb backing out and seal it to prevent leaks. 

43 minutes ago, Marenoc said:

-

Especially if its on the block side, I personally wouldn't trust anything that isn't in top condition, too risky with all the expensive components close by.

1 hour ago, For Science! said:

Especially if its on the block side, I personally wouldn't trust anything that isn't in top condition, too risky with all the expensive components close by.

Oh, wow, i totally missed that(unless it was edited after the fact). I was talking about the radiator. But assuming there is enough plastic, drilling and taping should still work but loctite won't. instead i would add some 2 part epoxy to the new barbs thread before screwing it in, it will bond the dissimilar materials together and act as a water barrier to prevent leaks.

1 hour ago, SuperCloneRanger said:

Oh, wow, i totally missed that(unless it was edited after the fact). I was talking about the radiator. But assuming there is enough plastic, drilling and taping should still work but loctite won't. instead i would add some 2 part epoxy to the new barbs thread before screwing it in, it will bond the dissimilar materials together and act as a water barrier to prevent leaks.

There is a way to drill out the holes and tap a G1/4” thread, but need to realign the  hole as it is slightly offcenter. Drilling out the original hole will put it over the side

The trick to drilling off centre holes is to use a guide. Drill your 1/4" hole into a scrap piece of metal or ply wood then fix this to your block using some double sided tape/hot glue, lining the hole up to where you want to drill. now you have a guide that will stop your bit moving while you drill.

57 minutes ago, SuperCloneRanger said:

The trick to drilling off centre holes is to use a guide. Drill your 1/4" hole into a scrap piece of metal or ply wood then fix this to your block using some double sided tape/hot glue, lining the hole up to where you want to drill. now you have a guide that will stop your bit moving while you drill.

Next step is to find a 11.8mm Drill bit and a 1/4” Tap to get to me asap

12 minutes ago, SuperCloneRanger said:

i was looking around, you can get fittings with a 1/4 barb and an 1/8 thread. you wouldn't need such a big hole. 8.6mm vs 11.6mm.

https://smile.amazon.com/Anderson-Metals-57001-0402-Fitting-Adapter/dp/B00F68TAV6/

As great as that is, the hole is already 3/8” or around 10mm. 

27 minutes ago, Marenoc said:

As great as that is, the hole is already 3/8” or around 10mm. 

It was worth a look.

1 hour ago, Marenoc said:

Next step is to find a 11.8mm Drill bit and a 1/4” Tap to get to me asap

Amazon, if you search for tap + drill you can get them together in a set. just make sure you get the correct thread type for your fitting.

Good luck.

2 hours ago, SuperCloneRanger said:

It was worth a look.

Amazon, if you search for tap + drill you can get them together in a set. just make sure you get the correct thread type for your fitting.

Good luck.

Last question. In case this project doesnt work and I have to use another aio dissembled, do these barba look loke they will work on g1/4” holes? Idk about the width of the threading? I’m not sure on the measurements cause from my knowledge G1/4” is equivilant to the 19 Thread Per Inch measurement.

https://www.rakuten.com/shop/zoro/product/G1502916/?sku=G1502916&scid=pla_google_zoro&rmatt=tsid:1012713|cid:1499916386|agid:59549929122|tid:aud-341901534156:pla-553900349448|crid:286631998710|nw:g|rnd:13373257473975247451|dvc:m|adp:1o1|mt:|loc:9014321&gclid=Cj0KCQiApvbhBRDXARIsALnNoK0sD4J31TI3Kh-JwHTPIEFgNTTbBXHN7LWFA0U-IaMBsPaEYIsdrewaAuixEALw_wcB

2 part marine epoxy should be fine, trouble will be holding it all aligned until it begins to cure, bit of a dodge way but will worktm 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

3 hours ago, Marenoc said:

Last question. In case this project doesnt work and I have to use another aio dissembled, do these barba look loke they will work on g1/4” holes? Idk about the width of the threading? I’m not sure on the measurements cause from my knowledge G1/4” is equivilant to the 19 Thread Per Inch measurement.

No, G1/4 fittings use BSP(british standard pipe) thread the linked barb is NPT(national pipe taper) thread. When working with G1/4 i would stick with the water cooling specific fittings as you know they will fit.

12 hours ago, SuperCloneRanger said:

No, G1/4 fittings use BSP(british standard pipe) thread the linked barb is NPT(national pipe taper) thread. When working with G1/4 i would stick with the water cooling specific fittings as you know they will fit.

If you can find G1/4” thread fottings for 6mm tubing let me know. I am having trouble finding them. Thanks. Goes from 8mm to 4mm.

Nevermind. Immediately found a pack of 20 plastic ones on Newegg for $10 and Koolance has some low profile onces for $4 each.

Plastic or Nickel?

Edited by Marenoc