New monitor

RiceIsLife

Hi , i currently have a 34 inch 1440p 100 hz montior , i am thinking of getting a second monitor that will be the main monitor for gaming . 

i was thinking of buying the Pg279q but since that was released a few years back im not sure if its still a good pickup . i would like to know if its worth getting it or if there is another monitor that is better . preferably 1440p 144hz or up :D

5 minutes ago, RiceIsLife said:

Hi , i currently have a 34 inch 1440p 100 hz montior , i am thinking of getting a second monitor that will be the main monitor for gaming . 

i was thinking of buying the Pg279q but since that was released a few years back im not sure if its still a good pickup . i would like to know if its worth getting it or if there is another monitor that is better . preferably 1440p 144hz or up :D

budget/country?

Probably just grab one of those 1440p 144hz IPS free-sync displays, from pixio or nixeus at around $399

But it sounds like switching to another display from that ultra wide really wouldn't be worth it

Maybe if you got a 1080p 240hz display as the new gaming display

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

my budget would be around 600 pounds . im in the uk. i would go for a 240hz but i dont think i can get use to the lower graphics as my ultrawide is 1440p 

4 minutes ago, RiceIsLife said:

You can always return the 240hz displa, but it makes more sense to go for something much different, than a loss of pixels and slight bump to refresh rate.

For some reason that 240hz display is only 200 GBP, otherwise they start at 300 for free-sync models if that one isn't a real price

wouldn't bother with G-sync if you have an nvidia GPU.

PCPartPicker part list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/N4FsCb
Price breakdown by merchant: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/N4FsCb/by_merchant/

Monitor: Asus - MG279Q 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor  (£428.99 @ Box Limited)
Monitor: LG - 27GK750F-B 27.0" 1920x1080 240 Hz Monitor  (£199.97 @ Laptops Direct)
Total: £628.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-15 20:44 GMT+0000

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

18 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

You can always return the 240hz displa, but it makes more sense to go for something much different, than a loss of pixels and slight bump to refresh rate.

For some reason that 240hz display is only 200 GBP, otherwise they start at 300 for free-sync models if that one isn't a real price

wouldn't bother with G-sync if you have an nvidia GPU.

PCPartPicker part list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/N4FsCb
Price breakdown by merchant: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/N4FsCb/by_merchant/

Monitor: Asus - MG279Q 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor  (£428.99 @ Box Limited)
Monitor: LG - 27GK750F-B 27.0" 1920x1080 240 Hz Monitor  (£199.97 @ Laptops Direct)
Total: £628.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-15 20:44 GMT+0000

Gsync is pretty useful and I would definitely get it on any monitor that is going to cost over 400. If you play games that are really hard to run it helps alot when you are in the lower fps range. 

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

Gsync is pretty useful and I would definitely get it on any monitor that is going to cost over 400. If you play games that are really hard to run it helps alot when you are in the lower fps range. 

G-sync is never worth the extra $100+ it adds to the cost of the display

especially at higher refresh rates where screen tearing is less noticeable anyways.

Spoiler

i mainly play overwatch and csgo at a high rating, i got a 1080ti so would a gsync monitor be needed

5 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

especially at higher refresh rates where screen tearing is less noticeable anyways.

i wanted to use my ultrawide as a second monitor for dashboard and other things when streaming. so would having a 1440p gaming monitor be too much for my 1080ti . 

i want steady frames when playing so would a 1080p 240hz be better for that

7 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Higher refresh rate doesn't make screen tearing less noticble. Higher fps does. If you plan in being able to run all the games you play at above 100 fps with very few dips below then yeah you probably won't notice it. I personally have games where they are very hard to run so asking to hit above 100 fps consistently is kinda a tall order and gsync is quite useful in that situation. 

4 minutes ago, RiceIsLife said:

i wanted to use my ultrawide as a second monitor for dashboard and other things when streaming. so would having a 1440p gaming monitor be too much for my 1080ti . 

i want steady frames when playing so would a 1080p 240hz be better for that

If you are mostly playing overwatch and csgo then get the 240hz. Those games are much better with as high if refresh rate as you can get vs visual fadelitly. I have played overwatch on the pg279 vs my 240hz and I have to say it felt awful compared to my 240hz partly because of the input lag related to an ips display and partly because the reduced refresh rate. I think a 240hz would make much more sense for you. You would have the 240hz for fast paced games then a nice 1440p ultrawide for the better looking games you want to play. I know I personally have the pg27uq which is the 4k 144hz and a 240hz monitor. I play overwatch exclusively on my 240hz while other games that I want eye candy I play on the 4k 144hz. 

24 minutes ago, RiceIsLife said:

i mainly play overwatch and csgo at a high rating, i got a 1080ti so would a gsync monitor be needed

You can use a free-sync monitor without issue, and it's doubtful that you'd even notice screen tearing at 240hz.

And given that, that monitor is 200 GBP, assuming the price is real, that's an easy choice.

but you should for sure get a 240hz display if you play fps games

15 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Higher refresh rate doesn't make screen tearing less noticble.

If frames are only on screen for 4ms at a time, it's unlikely you're going to notice issues with those frames

and CS:GO/Overwatch will easily run at 200fps

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

You can use a free-sync monitor without issue, and it's doubtful that you'd even notice screen tearing at 240hz.

And given that, that monitor is 200 GBP, assuming the price is real, that's an easy choice.

If frames are only on screen for 4ms at a time, it's unlikely you're going to notice issues with those frames

Like I said. Fps is what cause a screen tearing and if you have lower than 100 fps and a very high refresh rate then you will notice. I can tell at 90 fps on my 144hz without gsync on and I could tell on the pg279q as well when I didn't have gsync on. If you are at lower fps you will notice the difference and on a high end display like an ips 1440p 144hz you should get gsync. On a 1080p 240hz it really doesn't matter because you should only be playing high fps games on it anyways. 

what would be the best 240hz monitor 

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Like I said. Fps is what cause a screen tearing and if you have lower than 100 fps and a very high refresh rate then you will notice. I can tell at 90 fps on my 144hz without gsync on and I could tell on the pg279q as well when I didn't have gsync on. If you are at lower fps you will notice the difference and on a high end display like an ips 1440p 144hz you should get gsync. On a 1080p 240hz it really doesn't matter because you should only be playing high fps games on it anyways. 

11 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

1 minute ago, RiceIsLife said:

what would be the best 240hz monitor 

They all use the same panel so they are roughly the same. I personally have the Acer predator. The Acer predator and the Asus rog are probably the best but not by much. 

22 minutes ago, RiceIsLife said:

i would prefer gsync as the prices are down right now

The cheapest G-sync one on the part picker is 400, while the free-sync ones are 200-250

You really don't need G-sync with a 240hz display, do you even notice screen tearing as is?

PCPartPicker part list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/nKKqyX
Price breakdown by merchant: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/nKKqyX/by_merchant/

Monitor: Asus - ROG Swift PG258Q 24.5" 1920x1080 240 Hz Monitor  (£419.99 @ Amazon UK)
Monitor: Acer - KG271B 27.0" 1920x1080 240 Hz Monitor  (£249.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £869.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-15 22:06 GMT+0000

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

The cheapest G-sync one on the part picker is 400, while the free-sync ones are 200-250

You really don't need G-sync with a 240hz display, do you even notice screen tearing as is?

PCPartPicker part list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/nKKqyX
Price breakdown by merchant: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/nKKqyX/by_merchant/

Monitor: Asus - ROG Swift PG258Q 24.5" 1920x1080 240 Hz Monitor  (£419.99 @ Amazon UK)
Monitor: Acer - KG271B 27.0" 1920x1080 240 Hz Monitor  (£249.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £869.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-15 22:06 GMT+0000

27in 1080p ew. I would go for the 24 inch models

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

27in 1080p ew. I would go for the 24 inch models

If anything it makes it slightly easier to see what's happening, also depends on the distance of the monitor.

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

If anything it makes it slightly easier to see what's happening, also depends on the distance of the monitor.

it makes it easier to see the pixels which to me is bad. I have never had an issue being able to see things in games but having poor pixel density is something I cant handle.