Forward a port on Telstra smart modem

MojangYang

Hi, guys. I’m working on my Minecraft server again.

It can run well on local network, I have set a static ipv4, me and all my friends can join the game, but I still have to forward the port.

here is the router settings I opened from the default gateway.

EADA4EF5-E76B-46D5-AC37-5F8F04FAB00A.thumb.jpeg.6266231f373c8e321c1a11ebb9db1ea0.jpeg

As you can see from the photo, I have inserted the ip of my server, the server hosting port of the Minecraft server, the protocol and the name of my game. But I cannot ping it or join it from other networks. Can somebody help me?

Does your modem connect to a landline-based Internet connection currently? If it's using the 3G/4G capability then port forwarding won't work since that uses an additional type of NAT which you have no control over (due to IPv4 addresses being pricey and mobile devices being many).

If you want good hardware recommendations, please tell us how you intend to use the hardware. There's rarely a single correct answer.

3 minutes ago, Cyanara said:

Does your modem connect to a landline-based Internet connection currently? If it's using the 4G capability then port forwarding won't work since that uses its own type of NAT as well which you have no control over (since IPv4 addresses are pricey and mobile devices many).

We use nbn network

Ok. And the Destination IP is set to something in the 192.168.0.XXX range like the modem?

If you want good hardware recommendations, please tell us how you intend to use the hardware. There's rarely a single correct answer.

27 minutes ago, Cyanara said:

Ok. And the Destination IP is set to something in the 192.168.0.XXX range like the modem?

Yeah

Hmm, tricky. I always find port forwarding surprisingly frustrating for something so simple. At this point I can only suggest making sure your modem's firmware is up to date. Also, maybe try some of those websites that tell you if your ports are open.

16 hours ago, MojangYang said:

Hi, guys. I’m working on my Minecraft server again.

It can run well on local network, I have set a static ipv4, me and all my friends can join the game, but I still have to forward the port.

here is the router settings I opened from the default gateway.

EADA4EF5-E76B-46D5-AC37-5F8F04FAB00A.thumb.jpeg.6266231f373c8e321c1a11ebb9db1ea0.jpeg

As you can see from the photo, I have inserted the ip of my server, the server hosting port of the Minecraft server, the protocol and the name of my game. But I cannot ping it or join it from other networks. Can somebody help me?

First of. Why are you striking over an internal IP? It's not risky to show it.

Also how are you running your server? Is this set to the default port on the host machine? (Check server.properties) 

What OS are you running your server from? How can your friends connect if the port forwarding isn't working already?

5 hours ago, AbsoluteFool said:

First of. Why are you striking over an internal IP? It's not risky to show it.

Also how are you running your server? Is this set to the default port on the host machine? (Check server.properties) 

What OS are you running your server from? How can your friends connect if the port forwarding isn't working already?

The port is default 25565. I use windows 10 pro. My friends can connect without the port forwarding. I think the port is just not forwarded properly.

i struck over the ip just in case, because other people did it.

22 minutes ago, MojangYang said:

The port is default 25565. I use windows 10 pro. My friends can connect without the port forwarding. I think the port is just not forwarded properly.

i struck over the ip just in case, because other people did it.

I see. Well, did you set your computer to a static IP? perhaps it changed? If people can connect without port forwarding there is a security hole somewhere in your network.

4 hours ago, AbsoluteFool said:

I see. Well, did you set your computer to a static IP? perhaps it changed? If people can connect without port forwarding there is a security hole somewhere in your network.

i ipconfiged everytime the server booted. the ip did not change.

and by my friends can join without portforward, i mean that the server can work as a lan server on local network.

whats your minecraft config, set it to the IP of the system you are running it on (make sure its a static IP otherwise, both on the server and host system as it will stop working after a while since the router will lease the system with a new IP) and the port you want to use, double and triple check this!

after that ask a friend to connect to the server from his network he should be able to...

if not then your router may be blocking the game with it's firewall, i don't have a telstra router but a whitelist for allowing this should be somewhere in "Content Sharing", "Parental Control" or "Advanced"

your computer may also be doing this, do into your computers firewall and find Java, allow it to receive and send out requests on both the "Private" and "Domain" options and it should allow it. you may have to do it to more java entry's, DON'T DO ANY OTHER ONES!!!!

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

45 minutes ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

whats your minecraft config, set it to the IP of the system you are running it on (make sure its a static IP otherwise, both on the server and host system as it will stop working after a while since the router will lease the system with a new IP) and the port you want to use, double and triple check this!

after that ask a friend to connect to the server from his network he should be able to...

if not then your router may be blocking the game with it's firewall, i don't have a telstra router but a whitelist for allowing this should be somewhere in "Content Sharing", "Parental Control" or "Advanced"

your computer may also be doing this, do into your computers firewall and find Java, allow it to receive and send out requests on both the "Private" and "Domain" options and it should allow it. you may have to do it to more java entry's, DON'T DO ANY OTHER ONES!!!!

I will have a look thanks. This reply will be marked if it works

I get a feeling you are new to running servers, first of all we have two types of IP.

"Local IP" often called "Private IP" as well, this one is what goes in your server.properties file and your router it's settings.

Fill.PNG.cdb7ae2605e252399e535d45abc69976.PNG

Click to see the text properly

Then we also have a public IP, this is what your friends will use to connect with.

You can also use this, if you can use your public IP to connect that probably means your friends can also connect.

Use something like IPChicken to find out what your public IP is.

Use "ipconfig" in CMD to find out your private IP.

TL;DR:

• Connect using your Public IP.
  • Setup server.properties file & router using Private IP.
  • Disabling anti-virus can help together with allowing Java through your firewall.

Hope that helped a little!

Sidenote:

Great to see people still playing Minecraft & learning thanks to it ^^

Just making a server in this game teaches you a surprising amount of things if you really get into it.

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

6 hours ago, Sfekke said:

Sidenote:

Just making a server in this game teaches you a surprising amount of things if you really get into it.

Yup I started learning about servers with Minecraft and even about Linux when I decided to install Ubuntu on an old PC to use for game servers

6 hours ago, mtz_federico said:

Yup I started learning about servers with Minecraft and even about Linux when I decided to install Ubuntu on an old PC to use for game servers

That's an amazing way to learn!

Minecraft is more then a game, this just proves that ;)

who ya gonna call?

*Terrible joke I know*

Definitely make sure the PC running the server has its firewall open for this port as mentioned. This could be blocking traffic.

Also may be worth setting up a static IP address for your server so that there is no risk of it changing.

If troubles persist, worth trying a dymanic dns service to map to your IP. I have found that has helped with Telstra connections in the past. 

19 hours ago, Sfekke said:

I get a feeling you are new to running servers, first of all we have two types of IP.

"Local IP" often called "Private IP" as well, this one is what goes in your server.properties file and your router it's settings.

Fill.PNG.cdb7ae2605e252399e535d45abc69976.PNG

Click to see the text properly

Then we also have a public IP, this is what your friends will use to connect with.

You can also use this, if you can use your public IP to connect that probably means your friends can also connect.

Use something like IPChicken to find out what your public IP is.

Use "ipconfig" in CMD to find out your private IP.

TL;DR:

• Connect using your Public IP.
  • Setup server.properties file & router using Private IP.
  • Disabling anti-virus can help together with allowing Java through your firewall.

Hope that helped a little!

Sidenote:

So by setting a static ip, am i supposed to be setting the public one or the private one? I made the private one static.

Also my friends can join my game right now with my private ip if they are connected to my network.

4 hours ago, MojangYang said:

So by setting a static ip, am i supposed to be setting the public one or the private one? I made the private one static.

Also my friends can join my game right now with my private ip if they are connected to my network.

You have to set your private one to a static.

For a public one you'd have to pay in order to obtain a static public IP, not worth it for most people.

When they are on your local network port forwarding has nothing to do with it, as opening ports allows incoming and outgoing connections from outside your local network.

Try and let them connect using your public IP when they are

• At their own house
  • Still at your house

If it works at your own house with your public IP, that usually means the ports are open.

Just to verify I recommend at least trying from one of their homes

Alternatively you can go to PM, create an account once you have an account go to servers on the top & click "Post Server", you can enter your Public IP and port usually 25565 and test the connection.

389489566_Screenshot2018-12-11at08_41_07.png.e52ef1bcecc6186cbe4f14018fce8d08.png

If it connects, you are good to go!

If it doesn't Windows Firewall could be holding you back or you there is something else going on.

When you are running the server on an old PC, take a look at MineOS; it's truly an amazing server manager with a sublime web control panel based on Turnkey Linux. This avoids having to run Windows and gives the server more free RAM & a little bit more CPU overhead.

Anyhow I hope this helped out a little more, good luck!

who ya gonna call?

*Terrible joke I know*