UK mobile network O2 suffers outage, 25 million + customers are affected across Europe

Master Disaster

O2 are a massive mobile phone provider (what you'd call a carrier in the states) here in England and at around 6am this morning customers started reporting they'd lost data connection to the network.

O2 and its mobile network equipment supplier Ericsson have issued a joint apology to the millions of customers hit by disruption to its data services.

O2 chief executive Mark Evans said the firm would work with Ericsson through the night to resolve the problems.

Mr Evans said Ericsson had given assurances that a full service would be restored by Friday morning.

O2 are responsible for providing data services to many smaller providers here in England so the knock on affect of this outage has been pretty large.

O2 has 25 million customers and also provides services for the Sky, Tesco, Giffgaff and Lycamobile networks, which have another seven million users.

Services such as bus timetable information have also been affected, while many businesses faced disruption.

In the joint statement, Mr Evans said: "I want to let our customers know how sorry I am for the impact our network data issue has had on them, and reassure them that our teams, together with Ericsson, are doing everything we can.

"We fully appreciate it's been a poor experience and we are really sorry."

Ericsson said there had been network disruption for customers in multiple countries.

The issue has been discovered and is apparently an expired security certificate which wasn't renewed.

Earlier Ericsson president Börje Ekholm gave more detail about the cause of the disruption. He said "an initial root cause analysis" had indicated that the "main issue was an expired certificate in the software versions installed with these customers".

He said "a complete and comprehensive root cause analysis" was in progress.

Most of the affected customers' network services had been successfully restored, he added.

Despite the network claiming otherwise many people are reported a loss in calling & texting functions as well.

Spain's Telefonica owns O2, which has the UK's second-largest mobile network after EE, which is now part of BT.

The company has said voice calls are not affected by the problem, but some O2 customers say they cannot make calls or send texts either.

The outage is having knock-on effects for other services that use the O2 network, including Transport for London's electronic timetable service at bus stops, which has stopped working.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46464730

Oops, I think whoever was supposed to renew that certificate is getting fired. This will cost them big time, public customers can expect a days worth of compensation but according to experts O2 could be liable for loss in business caused by this outage meaning any business customers could see huge compensation claims being paid out.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Good thing I left GiffGaff years ago when they got rid of the good plans. 

EE have been having problems recently as well, I've lost count of how many times I've lost 4G or even service all together

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

Meanwhile on Three with perfectly working LTE ?.

Edit: Main reason why I didn't choose O2 when I started living in the UK is cos their pricing structures were kind of screwed up and not many people I know are on O2. 

A lot are on Vodafone or Three or EE.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

9 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Meanwhile on Three with perfectly working LTE ?.

Edit: Main reason why I didn't choose O2 when I started living in the UK is cos their pricing structures were kind of screwed up and not many people I know are on O2. 

A lot are on Vodafone or Three or EE.

A lot of people are with O2 because of the iPhone exclusivity back in the day

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

6 minutes ago, yolosnail said:

A lot of people are with O2 because of the iPhone exclusivity back in the day

Oh lol. The only people I know on O2 right now use Android devices.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Oh lol. The only people I know on O2 right now use Android devices.

My Aunt joined O2 back when the iPhone came out (even though she worked for Orange at the time), and she only left them a month or two ago so I'd imagine a lot of their customers just haven't switched yet. Certainly nobody is joining because of their low prices!

I used to be on GiffGaff who O2 owns, but left when they hiked the prices up and switched to Three. I was with them a year or two before joining EE as they had a good deal on at the time. I then switched to ID mobile who runs on Three, then to Plusnet which runs on EE.

Where I live up north, O2 seems to have the worst signal, followed by Three, then Vodafone, with EE having the best. In fact, Three was the only network that had signal at our caravan in Kielder, they had full 3G signal where everyone else struggled to get one bar of 2G

Laptop:

Spoiler

PC:

Spoiler

Mac:

Spoiler

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

Just how bad is their routing to have a 25 million people outage?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

11 hours ago, williamcll said:

Just how bad is their routing to have a 25 million people outage?

They are talking about an expired certificate, you usually only have 1 of them and can easily be renewed without downtime.

The outage could be easily avoided but sometimes shit happens.

Like there is no reason to have more than 1 certificate because it either works, or it doesn't. As long as it's valid, it's fine. In the end it's just a file, you can't really go wrong with it. Expiring is basically the only thing that can go wrong with it and you know the expiry date when you get it so it's perfectly possible to renew in advance.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon