Hypervisor Comparison.

LiquidFox
Go to solution Solved by AbsoluteFool,
16 hours ago, LiquidFox said:

Vmware EsXi vs Citrix XenServer vs Xen vs Unraid vs Hyper-V Server vs Proxmox.

Which is the best hypervisor for me?? What are the difference between them??

What hypervisor AWS and Paperspace uses??

How to detect which hypervisor a VM is using??

Can these hypervisor run Mac OS Vm if installed in a Apple Mac Computer??

Unraid is not really a hypervisor. So it leaves you with ESXI, XenServer, Hyper-V, Proxmox and XCP-NG (that is a fork of XenServer).

AWS most likely use KVM alike with Google and other big companies that is in the enterprise.

The really difference on hypervisors is what features you get for what price. And what the user inteface is. Sometimes it can be command based, other times have a fancy graphical user interface. If you're new to hypervisors i'd recommend starting with ESXI that have a easy user interface, and move up as you evolve yourself with the use of hypervisors.

2 hours ago, LiquidFox said:

Which is the best hypervisor for me??

You generally need to provide some requirements in order to analyze which option fits them best in your situation.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

9 hours ago, beersykins said:

You generally need to provide some requirements in order to analyze which option fits them best in your situation.

Just a couple of windows and linux VMs. A personal VM Server, and media server.

So, nothing specific?  :P

I found that Windows seems to perform a bit better in a VMware environment, but anything KVM based will still be fine.  Paravirtual deployments like OpenVZ are a no-go for mixed environments.

You could probably roll through a few and see what features and similar you want.  VMware Free has some limitations like no vMotion but you can still roll snapshots, usually you'll want to verify that your hardware fits in the compatibility matrix.

Proxmox is pretty cool and free/open, really up to you what you feel works best.  I'm personally a sucker for VMware.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

16 hours ago, LiquidFox said:

Unraid is not really a hypervisor. So it leaves you with ESXI, XenServer, Hyper-V, Proxmox and XCP-NG (that is a fork of XenServer).

AWS most likely use KVM alike with Google and other big companies that is in the enterprise.

The really difference on hypervisors is what features you get for what price. And what the user inteface is. Sometimes it can be command based, other times have a fancy graphical user interface. If you're new to hypervisors i'd recommend starting with ESXI that have a easy user interface, and move up as you evolve yourself with the use of hypervisors.

2 hours ago, beersykins said:

So, nothing specific?  :P

I found that Windows seems to perform a bit better in a VMware environment, but anything KVM based will still be fine.  Paravirtual deployments like OpenVZ are a no-go for mixed environments.

You could probably roll through a few and see what features and similar you want.  VMware Free has some limitations like no vMotion but you can still roll snapshots, usually you'll want to verify that your hardware fits in the compatibility matrix.

Proxmox is pretty cool and free/open, really up to you what you feel works best.  I'm personally a sucker for VMware.

35 minutes ago, AbsoluteFool said:

What about Hyper-V??

Where to officially download Vmware EsXi??

What about Xenserver?? 

I have two machines, one has i7 6700K and other has i3 7100. Can I join them together, so they can share there resources??

1 hour ago, LiquidFox said:

What about Hyper-V??

Where to officially download Vmware EsXi??

What about Xenserver?? 

I have two machines, one has i7 6700K and other has i3 7100. Can I join them together, so they can share there resources??

HyperV comes free with every Pro version of Windows. It's mostly a cost effective Windows based hypervisor since it comes as part of Pro and Server licenses. And of course, if you're MS certified and not a VCP for VMware, it's easier to manage.

ESXi Free edition can be downloaded from the VMware website. Use google.

XenServer is a Citrix product, and afaik no longer free to use. XPC-NG is, however. Haven't used it much, so I can't vouch for it.

Yes, you can join them together if both have the same hypervisor installed and are configured as a cluster, but don't. Especially if one machine shuts down, a VM will try to migrate to the other, and if there's no shared storage or enough resources in terms of RAM/CPU the thing will crash and burn.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

What are you planning to do with the hypervisor? are you just learning and messing around, or setting up an actual server which will be running 24/7 with multiple VMs? also what spec is the server. VMware ESXI is my personal favorite, however, the free license is limited to a maximum of 8VCPUs on VMs created (you can use all your cores, but a maximum of  8 per vm). 

Hyper-V is brilliant and personally loves its snapshot feature. Far better than ESXI unless you are running Vcenter or something like that. 

On 12/1/2018 at 1:37 AM, GPro said:

What are you planning to do with the hypervisor? are you just learning and messing around, or setting up an actual server which will be running 24/7 with multiple VMs? also what spec is the server. VMware ESXI is my personal favorite, however, the free license is limited to a maximum of 8VCPUs on VMs created (you can use all your cores, but a maximum of  8 per vm). 

Hyper-V is brilliant and personally loves its snapshot feature. Far better than ESXI unless you are running Vcenter or something like that. 

I'm new to virtualization. I am going to try esxi and hyper-v.

On 12/1/2018 at 1:37 AM, GPro said:

I have two pc, one has i3 7100 and second has i7 6700K. I'm also planning to buy a 2018 mac mini to virtualize mac os on to it. Is 2018 mac mini any good??

On 12/4/2018 at 12:29 PM, LiquidFox said:

I have two pc, one has i3 7100 and second has i7 6700K. I'm also planning to buy a 2018 mac mini to virtualize mac os on to it. Is 2018 mac mini any good??

Linus has just done a video on this, currently on Floatplane. Should hit youtube soon if it hasnt already.